Battery light? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Battery light?

My battery light comes on sometimes while I'm driving then goes off, the. Back on again for a couple seconds. Anyone know why?
Ryan7racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Re: Battery light?

It should be your alternator is going bad. Take it to auto zone and have them check the alternator and your battery.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Road Trip!

I know when it goes bad the lights dim and radio goes on and off but it's not doing anything odd. Just when I drive it will come on for a couple seconds Then stay off for a couple mins then come back on for a couple seconds and repeats the process. I went on vacation for a week so it was just sitting at home and it started when I got home yesterday and did it again today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Same thing has been happened to me this weekend. It just comes on and blinks a few times and turns off right? And same thing with mine it say for like 5 days while i was in vegas and when i came back it started doing it.
fresh2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The light is designed to tell you either the battery is going bad or alternator. It would be very rare if you had a loose fuse. The best thing to do is get it checked for free at auto parts store if u have one close by.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh2death
Same thing has been happened to me this weekend. It just comes on and blinks a few times and turns off right? And same thing with mine it say for like 5 days while i was in vegas and when i came back it started doing it.
Same thing man, idk why it's doing it. It was fine before I left now it comes on blinks goes off and keeps doing it over and over. Cars running great so idk.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog
The light is designed to tell you either the battery is going bad or alternator. It would be very rare if you had a loose fuse. The best thing to do is get it checked for free at auto parts store if u have one close by.
Alright man I'll do that, thanks a lot for the info.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:35 AM   #7

Region: Florida
Ive had the same issue for a while now and sure gets annoying on and off I have a red top and I've changed the alternator about 2 years ago so idk. Guess I gotta take it to autozone
SloMoGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Check the wire connection too,,before faulting the alternator,,move the wires around while it running and see if anything happens,,also put a meter across the battery see if the voltage is varying..and check the belt make sure its not slipping,,ive seen them slip but not make any noise
Old 08-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Yeah, my 240sx has this same light. New battery, new alternator and it still does it. Somewhere, there is weak voltage and as far as I can tell, it doesn't effect the car. It's been going on for about 3 years. So I'd say pull the bulb out of the cluster.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan7racin
My battery light comes on sometimes while I'm driving then goes off, the. Back on again for a couple seconds. Anyone know why?
Very common problem I get at work all the time. 90 % of the time its the voltage regulator going bad in the alternator. Other than that check all connections make sure they r clean including battery terminals and drive belt for slipping.
charlie03fastGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
My was the idler pulley and tensioner the belt was loose and was making good enough connection with the alternator my light used to do the same thing belt was slipping
Timm04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I know when it goes bad the lights dim and radio goes on and off but it's not doing anything odd. Just when I drive it will come on for a couple seconds Then stay off for a couple mins then come back on for a couple seconds and repeats the process. I went on vacation for a week so it was just sitting at home and it started when I got home yesterday and did it again today.
Alt. Wont show dim lights for while.. Go test it .. Its free
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

This happens to me to but its worse. After I really give it the throttel and get it up past 120 or 130 and im slowing back down the battery light comes on, everything goes dim, and the car shuts off! i put it in neutral and start it back up and it starts fine. any ideas?
Old 08-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Thanks for the ideas guys, it hasn't did it the past few days. It only did it after being on vacation a week and coming back home to drive my car like the first 2-3 days. I guess it just sitting for a week maybe the battery just got low.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan7racin View Post
Thanks for the ideas guys, it hasn't did it the past few days. It only did it after being on vacation a week and coming back home to drive my car like the first 2-3 days. I guess it just sitting for a week maybe the battery just got low.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #16
Road Trip!

So now my car is having trouble starting im pretty sure it's the alternator haven't had time to go get it checked I have another car so I don drive it everyday. Does this look like a good deal? He wants $50 for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-77227053.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	66719  
Old 09-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #17
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan7racin View Post
So now my car is having trouble starting im pretty sure it's the alternator haven't had time to go get it checked I have another car so I don drive it everyday. Does this look like a good deal? He wants $50 for it.
Since your car was sitting for a long period of time, it's most likely the battery. I would check the battery first. If okay, then look at alternator. If you get a new alternator, but the battery is still bad, that is really bad for your alternator. If the battery is 3+ years old, you should go ahead and pickup a battery anyway cause it will be on its way out. Confirm battery first, alternator second.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good deal to me. I wld check the alternator he is selling at an auto parts store 1st just to make sure it works.
charlie03fastGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT