Car runs bad when engine is cold. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Car runs bad when engine is cold.

Just like the title says my car seems to run pretty bad when not up to normal temp, the clutch seems to grab very weird, shifting can be a bit of a pain (mainly 1st to 2nd), just overall runs slow and doesn't wanna go, once up to temp the beast unleashes, idk if this is normal or what but thought I'd mention it to you guys, thank you .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Re: Car runs bad when engine is cold.

Its not normal. When its cold does it seem like it's missing or does it act like its straved for fuel or air?
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm it seems to me like its starving for fuel , I mean it doesn't hesitate, it drives, just doesn't drive nearly as smooth, I was thinking about changing tranny fluid to try to fix the hard shifting when cold but my car has 100k on it and not sure if its ever been changed, heard its bad to change fluid that high of mileage if it never was changed before. where do you recommend I start ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Assuming your ride is a mid 2001 and up, the cold shifting prob your seeing is pretty normal for the TR-3650 tranny. You can drop some Mobile 1 ATF in and that will help. The guys at the mach1registry claim that Lucas Transmission Fix is the best for the tranny's shifting smoothness. I plan to add this to mine when I change fluids here in a few weeks.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
Assuming your ride is a mid 2001 and up, the cold shifting prob your seeing is pretty normal for the TR-3650 tranny. You can drop some Mobile 1 ATF in and that will help. The guys at the mach1registry claim that Lucas Transmission Fix is the best for the tranny's shifting smoothness. I plan to add this to mine when I change fluids here in a few weeks.
Yes its an 02 with the TR-3650, now I'm not sure the fluid was ever changed in the tranny, is it okay to change now with over 100k, that's what I've always heard but not sure if it goes for manual trannys as well
Old 08-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post

Yes its an 02 with the TR-3650, now I'm not sure the fluid was ever changed in the tranny, is it okay to change now with over 100k, that's what I've always heard but not sure if it goes for manual trannys as well
I would definitely change it. Even if you have to pay someone else to do it. Just make sure you stick with Mercon V or Mobile 1 ATF. I tried Royal Purple Synchromax and it made very difficult to shift even when warmed up. I hear RP is bad for THIS tranny's synchros.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I would definitely change it. Even if you have to pay someone else to do it. Just make sure you stick with Mercon V or Mobile 1 ATF. I tried Royal Purple Synchromax and it made very difficult to shift even when warmed up. I hear RP is bad for THIS tranny's synchros.
Thanks so much for the help Azure, I've never changed my own tranny fluid so I will prob def bring it somewhere to be done, any idea what kind of price I'm looking to pay, I plan on buying my own Mobile 1 ATF and bringing it in
Old 08-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I believe it takes 3qts. Looks like most places, it between 10$ and 12$ a quart. I can't remember if the Lucas Transmission Fix is a quart, but I think its around the same price. Around here, it's usually about 80$ + fluid costs to change change tranny fluids for most places.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95v686gt
Its not normal. When its cold does it seem like it's missing or does it act like its straved for fuel or air?
I have the same issue. Just starting happening worse. I'm thinking the k&n I re-oiled may have been to much. Gonna check it out today when I get out of work(on break). Could be the maf is dirty. I remember I left it unpluged one time and the car ran like a mower.

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Quote:
I believe it takes 3qts. Looks like most places, it between 10$ and 12$ a quart. I can't remember if the Lucas Transmission Fix is a quart, but I think its around the same price. Around here, it's usually about 80$ + fluid costs to change change tranny fluids for most places.
I would not use anything other than mercon 3. There is no smoothing shifting on a 3650. For the reason being that its in the design and nothing else. Being the shift forks are on one shaft the clunkiness you feel will not go away. So save ur money get the mercon 3 and fill it.
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Here's the service manual for the TR-3650. You are right, I don't see Mercon V as a fluid option. Mobil 1 ATF was added to the list of acceptable fluids. It's listed in here, but I don't think you can go wrong with Mercon 3. I have Mobil 1 in mine.

http://db.tt/PxALzemy
Old 08-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys I think I'm gonna take it this weekend and have them swap the fluid with Mobil 1 ATF
Old 08-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Re: Car runs bad when engine is cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Here's the service manual for the TR-3650. You are right, I don't see Mercon V as a fluid option. Mobil 1 ATF was added to the list of acceptable fluids. It's listed in here, but I don't think you can go wrong with Mercon 3. I have Mobil 1 in mine.

http://db.tt/PxALzemy
of course Im right , just fyi though I ran the mobil 1 until the day I tore my trans down to replace syncro packs lol. Yeah I just stick with the Mercon/Dexron III as there is no REAL added benefit except the benefit of spending money.
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT