lt headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
lt headers

How hard is it to install long tubes on a 2v? I watched a video on YouTube and they dropped the k member and everything. I really.don't want to do that though
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor98gt
How hard is it to install long tubes on a 2v? I watched a video on YouTube and they dropped the k member and everything. I really.don't want to do that though
If you second guess yourself take it to a shop.

I was going to do a write up on it but currently buying a cowl hood
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I hear by many that it's about the same LT and shortys as far as difficulty. The pain for LT comes if you have to work on your clutch. The LT's will be in your way and one, maybe both - not sure - will need to be removed. You will need to get a mid pipe setup to connect to your LT's too, but you might be wanting to do that anyway.
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: lt headers

well i was really needing a mid pipe anyway so i figured i should go on and get headers while im at it, and i love the sound of lts, so id like to get them, and im fairly good at working on cars, i just really dont have to drop k members and stuff lol, id rather just put it on a lift and swap manifold for headers. ima put my car on the lift tomorrow at school and see how much room i got to work with.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor98gt View Post
well i was really needing a mid pipe anyway so i figured i should go on and get headers while im at it, and i love the sound of lts, so id like to get them, and im fairly good at working on cars, i just really dont have to drop k members and stuff lol, id rather just put it on a lift and swap manifold for headers. ima put my car on the lift tomorrow at school and see how much room i got to work with.
It would sound freaking cool if you can do it. Also they give you more torque increase than shortys. I wish I had access to a lift!
Old 08-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

It would sound freaking cool if you can do it. Also they give you more torque increase than shortys. I wish I had access to a lift!
All you need is a jack and stands !
Old 08-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

That's the perks of auto mechanic class in college lol
Old 08-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

What kind of clearance do you need for LT? For a lowered stance.
Silver Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Pony
If your car is 2" and lower you might have problems
Old 08-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow2V

If your car is 2" and lower you might have problems
I have H&R SS
Silver Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Its not reallly that bad actually if you are willing to not rush it. I did them on my 00 Gt auto and its kinda a pain because of the auto trans. But with a two jacks, four jack stands, along with certain tools I made it was easy. Its alot easier to drop the k member cuz you have alot of room to get them in there and easier to tighten the bolts. Its really not that hard of a task when dropping the k memeber. Looking on my cobra once i drop the k memeber its going to be easy getting to the header nuts and bolts. But it can be done without dropping the k memeber esp if it is a manual, the top bolts will be a pain in the but to get too though. Oh, if I remember correctly you will have to raise the engine 3-4 inches so keep that in mind as well.

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Pony View Post
I lowered my Gt 2 inches with LT's and I have good clearance, if the speed bumps are too high you will be okie if you go over them slow and at a angle.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00 View Post
Its not reallly that bad actually if you are willing to not rush it. I did them on my 00 Gt auto and its kinda a pain because of the auto trans. But with a two jacks, four jack stands, along with certain tools I made it was easy. Its alot easier to drop the k member cuz you have alot of room to get them in there and easier to tighten the bolts. Its really not that hard of a task when dropping the k memeber. Looking on my cobra once i drop the k memeber its going to be easy getting to the header nuts and bolts. But it can be done without dropping the k memeber esp if it is a manual, the top bolts will be a pain in the but to get too though. Oh, if I remember correctly you will have to raise the engine 3-4 inches so keep that in mind as well.

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

I lowered my Gt 2 inches with LT's and I have good clearance, if the speed bumps are too high you will be okie if you go over them slow and at a angle.
okay, thanks alot, why you have to raise the engine up?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
okay, thanks alot, why you have to raise the engine up?
you have to raise the engine to remove the engine mounts to make room for the headers. Its pretty simple actuallly well it was for me anyways....

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

oh, I forgot to say you have to raise the engine to get to the top header nuts/bolts because you can reach them from the bottom with the k memeber in.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

you have to raise the engine to remove the engine mounts to make room for the headers. Its pretty simple actuallly well it was for me anyways....

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

oh, I forgot to say you have to raise the engine to get to the top header nuts/bolts because you can reach them from the bottom with the k memeber in.
Okay thanks a lot, I'm at school .ow Ima put her on the lift and see how bad it'll be lol, I have to fix my exhaust too.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Okay thanks a lot, I'm at school .ow Ima put her on the lift and see how bad it'll be lol, I have to fix my exhaust too.
If you do it on the lift with some lift stands it will be alot easier. Its just crawling around on the ground but dropping the k memeber you will have it done quicker then with it in there. Your welcome....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT