Hard to steer - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Hard to steer

ok...just bought the 97 GT and it is hard to steer
bled the lines, no luck so i took it to the shop
they have replaced the power steering pump, the serpentine belt and the rack and pinion....still hard to steer
what have they / i missed ?
thanks
my97vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Could be bad seals or something in the hydroboost, the steering shaft in a bind, or maybe the spindles or binding up when your trying to turn... The only things I could thing of if you already replaced rack, and pump
Coreyw428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Was it ever wrecked before?
poncho2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by my97vert
ok...just bought the 97 GT and it is hard to steer
bled the lines, no luck so i took it to the shop
they have replaced the power steering pump, the serpentine belt and the rack and pinion....still hard to steer
what have they / i missed ?
thanks
Steering Shaft
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #5

Re: Hard to steer

Car has not been wrecked according to mechanic shop where I have it.
I will mention the steering shaft to them as a possibility.
I guess I got a decent deal as follows :
Car : $2,000
New tires : $500
New exhaust : $300
Amount at shop so far :$1,100 plus he said about another $200 and he would be done
He repaired O2 sensors, ac, new serpentine,power steering pump, rack and pinion, wheel sensors for ABS and a couple other things.
Thoughts ?
and Thanks !!!!
Old 08-26-2012, 12:41 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
If underdrive pullies were installed so less power to the stearing pump. Would that make it harder to stear?
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Stop using dexron4. Steering is more responsive w/regular per/steering fluid. Hydro boosts are tough to rear out. Remember, that your brakes are tied into the system. One affects the other. Also, if car is already lowered, check the tie rid to pintle angle, it should be at same angle of control arm, running parallel with it. Check the rod end for wear, or incorrect part,etc. tighten HB lines.

Many mechanics will load fluid into the system, but will not wait the hour, or more required to wait out the air bubbles escaping the line. I spent an hour while moving the wheel lock left, wait, lock right, wait, and so on till I felt personally satisfied. When you buy fluid, DON'T SHAKE THE BOTTLE. You create air bubbles. Wracks have bleed lines, but it can only handle so much.

Your mechanic fudged the bleed job.

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

More: if u have no time to redo, open the resovior, start the engine, watch for the wave like flow of the fluid, if none, or weak, pump is bad. For a 97, replacements are usually re-manned, sometimes just repainted.
Essentially, the air in the lines become millions of tiny bubbles, too much will damage the wrack or cause momentary stiffness. Final, HBs do have a delay, but barely noticeable. Also, your wrack needs to be a sport wrack model; takes less turn to maneuver veh.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

I think the Yuengling is kickin in here. On vaca, you know, but always ready to offer my earned experience.

If fluid flow in resovior is strong (almost1/4" high) pump is good. Let it idle for a while without vacuum. When done, drive the car. Do some hard braking, forward and reverse. Halt, lock to lock the steering wheel. Then safely test brake again. What's happening is your breaking the air bubbles into even more smaller ones. I did it the first time when I failed to understand the bleeding instructions. Hope this works out.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #8

thanks for all the input.
hopefully they will have it finished this week whatever the problem is.
i will let yall know what fixed it
Old 09-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #9

ok so far have replaced power steering pump, serpentine belt, found out it had the wrong ball joints in it and replaced with correct ones, bleed system and installed correct fluid.....see where this is going ?
still hard to steer......
mechanic said the only thing left is the hydroboost ??? he is changing it Monday.
Is there anything else you can think of if this does not do it ?
Old 09-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

So is the stearing assisting at all? I mean how hard is it to stear when parked and running compared to not running? What is ur engine rpms?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #11

it is easier when running so there is some assist
rpm normal at idle
Old 09-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Are you sure there is an actuall issue? I ask because I have an 01gt and its harder to stear than any other car I've driven (that had power stearing), its just the way it is and I like it because I can "feel" the road better.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #13

There is definately a problem as it is only slightly better than a manual steering car.
I have to use both hands to turn it when stopped or going slow.
Hopefully we are closingin on the problem as there is little left to changethat has anything to do with steering.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ok. When you are turning can you hear the pump clearly?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:58 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There is definately a problem as it is only slightly better than a manual steering car.
I have to use both hands to turn it when stopped or going slow.
Hopefully we are closingin on the problem as there is little left to changethat has anything to do with steering.
I have a 97 vert too. How large are your front tires?

Mine runs fine. It's hard to steer hydros at the stop. I don't bother. I have 255s front tires. Pretty large and heavy.

I say you raise the front end and bleed the thing yourself. I did. Is the flow in the resovior strong?

---------- Post added at 01:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishn8
Are you sure there is an actuall issue? I ask because I have an 01gt and its harder to stear than any other car I've driven (that had power stearing), its just the way it is and I like it because I can "feel" the road better.
+1
Old 09-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Actually I'm sure there is a problem. He shouldn't have to use both hands. I have 275's in front and only have to use firm palm pressure to turn at a stop. Then again mines 01 not 97...do you (LAS97) have to use two hands? MY97, has it always been hard?
Old 09-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #17

Region: New York
Quote:
Actually I'm sure there is a problem. He shouldn't have to use both hands. I have 275's in front and only have to use firm palm pressure to turn at a stop. Then again mines 01 not 97...do you (LAS97) have to use two hands? MY97, has it always been hard?
I've got a 97 GT with 275's on the front with under drive pulleys and at a idle it turns very easily. So I'd say there is something defiantly wrong with yours.
Cargain35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Car has not been wrecked according to mechanic shop where I have it.
I will mention the steering shaft to them as a possibility.
I guess I got a decent deal as follows :
Car : $2,000
New tires : $500
New exhaust : $300
Amount at shop so far :$1,100 plus he said about another $200 and he would be done
He repaired O2 sensors, ac, new serpentine,power steering pump, rack and pinion, wheel sensors for ABS and a couple other things.
Thoughts ?
and Thanks !!!!
Did he say the abs in the wheel was broken like snapped cause that could be a sign that someone who had ur car may have hit a curb real hard is there any deep dents or anything like that on that rim?
Old 09-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #19

wheels are fine and not bent, tires are 255s....mechanic replaced the hydro and is now replacing the power steering hoses just for sh....ts and grins at this point, as everything else is new.
supposed to get car back tomorrow or Monday and will let you guys know the outcome.
i appreciate all the feedback....just wanna drive the car !!!!
Old 09-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #20

ok got it back and even though it still steers "firm" it is mucho better
seems it was some kind of check valve that was the main issue after all...but hey all the front is now new.
just discovered on the way home that the electric fan motor seems to not be working now....always something.
temp got over to the M on normal and the fan never kicked....i am going to let it run and see if it gets hootter then kicks on
Old 09-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

They may have left something unplugged.
Good u got ur stearing fixed!
Old 09-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

No offense ,,but the mechanic is supposed to figure out the problem,,not replace everything to fix it,,i would have took things a loose first to see where the problems occurs,,like remove the tierod ends off the spindles and see how hard it is to turn,,if still to hard remove the shaft from the rack and see if the shaft turns freely,,i didnt know that year had a hydroboost..is the brakes hard to mash also??
Old 09-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No. No problem, although, you driving habits are different from mine, I don't steer till vehicle is moving.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #24

brakes are fine and have been since the start.
good news is he did not charge me for a great deal of time and parts because of his mistake.
i have used him on other vehicles...he is the most honest mechanic i have met, everyone where i work uses him for everything
when he screws up , which is rare, he always makes it right
Old 09-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
good news is he did not charge me for a great deal of time and parts because of his mistake.
i have used him on other vehicles...he is the most honest mechanic i have met, everyone where i work uses him for everything
Glad for you.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by my97vert View Post
well if hes honest,,i know he has to be frustrated then,,lol,,i been there before,,I didnt mean to disrespect him....We have a lot of trucks at work with the hydroboost,,and usually the brakes are effected as well as the powersteering..If theres isnt any knots in the steering,,im wondering if the powersteering pump is defective,,i know you just replaced it,,but ive seen bad parts often,,well i hope you get it figured out..
Old 09-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Just a thought here but I didnt see anywhere where you said he checked the high pressure hoses to the rack... If they are collapsed or clogged that could definatly be the cause of it cause there isn't enough pressure to the rack and you would basically be driving with like a manual rack setup
Coreyw428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #28

All is finally good with sterring...firm but more than functional....thanks for all the suggestions
Old 09-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by my97vert View Post
All is finally good with sterring...firm but more than functional....thanks for all the suggestions
what fixed it

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyw428 View Post
Just a thought here but I didnt see anywhere where you said he checked the high pressure hoses to the rack... If they are collapsed or clogged that could definatly be the cause of it cause there isn't enough pressure to the rack and you would basically be driving with like a manual rack setup
good point

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT