SCT Tune issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2012, 04:13 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
SCT Tune issues

So I recently got a tune from VMP Tuning. Installed the tune to my Xcal2 and them my car. The tune seemed to be great. But on the highway I went to stretch my girls legs when I noticed that we were at a 6050 rev limit. So I went back in with the xcal and changed the options. I set both neu rev and drv rev to 7k (I have a 32v). I reinstalled the tune, and it aided in nothing. So I called the tuner and he sent me a file that had a 7k rev limit. So I installed it and still nothing, Im still at the 6050 rev. Now just to clear it does bounce off the limiter. SOOOO... my tuner suggested that I call SCT. They then sent me a file for my strategy with the 7k rev. I installed it to see if it changed and not a thing was different. Not sure what is the issue, the engine is sound electronics for the most are new. Not sure what Im missing or if anyone else has had this issue.
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 04:50 AM   #2
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
The only thing I could think of is that your Xcal2, since it's an older tuner, maybe it needs a firmware update?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Re: SCT Tune issues

Yes, see if there is an update for the tuner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
The only thing I could think of is that your Xcal2, since it's an older tuner, maybe it needs a firmware update?
It does have the 1.14 firmware.

There is a 1.15 but this is what it says
"NOTE: Firmware 1.15 is ONLY necessary for use on 2007/2008 F150 vehicles, and users of other vehicles should not update their devices, unless instructed to do so by tech support."
Old 08-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
Lorraine's driver

Regular

I would try to change something else within the option just to confirm that any changes are going through. Try something noticeable, like a gear change so you can see that it is different than your initial tune.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Stupid question............does the car rev limit to 6k only on the highway or does it do it all the time?

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

I.e first gear and the rest
Old 08-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

All the time
Old 08-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well I did some fidgeting with my tuner. I returned the ECM back to stock, and erased all the tune files from the Xcal2. I then re-added the files, and then reflashed the ECM. This time it took. I did a 2nd gear pull, and that is when I noticed that I went passed the 6050 limit. Azure do me a favor, or someone with a 4v. Use your tuner to data capture a 2nd gear pull from 1k rpm all the way to redline. And compare the two files.

2nd Gear Pull
Old 08-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad View Post
Well I did some fidgeting with my tuner. I returned the ECM back to stock, and erased all the tune files from the Xcal2. I then re-added the files, and then reflashed the ECM. This time it took. I did a 2nd gear pull, and that is when I noticed that I went passed the 6050 limit. Azure do me a favor, or someone with a 4v. Use your tuner to data capture a 2nd gear pull from 1k rpm all the way to redline. And compare the two files.

2nd Gear Pull
I just did a datalog session Friday so I should have this data to compare. I'll check it out this evening.

Glad you got it to work!
Old 08-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just did a datalog session Friday so I should have this data to compare. I'll check it out this evening.

Glad you got it to work!
But is should be the same run though. a 2nd gear run from basically a roll all the way up to redline. The reason is loads are different from just random driving. So basically log a 2nd gear start to red and decel and compare.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

But is should be the same run though. a 2nd gear run from basically a roll all the way up to redline. The reason is loads are different from just random driving. So basically log a 2nd gear start to red and decel and compare.
Well it may not be exactly the same. It's all I can do at the moment. My ride is at the dealers with the tranny dropped.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well it may not be exactly the same. It's all I can do at the moment. My ride is at the dealers with the tranny dropped.
And Why????
Old 08-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

And Why????
I brought it in to determine if my metallic noise will be under warranty. So far, they think it's the input shaft bearing pocket. But, I haven't heard back since this morning.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

This noise...

Metallic noise - updated w/sound - Help
Old 08-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I brought it in to determine if my metallic noise will be under warranty. So far, they think it's the input shaft bearing pocket. But, I haven't heard back since this morning.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

This noise...

Metallic noise - updated w/sound - Help
My input bearing is going rattles when driving and when engaging gear. and sounds like a clutch bearing is bad. So out it comes this winter. Im happy can you tell.... lol
Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #15
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

My input bearing is going rattles when driving and when engaging gear. and sounds like a clutch bearing is bad. So out it comes this winter. Im happy can you tell.... lol
Lol! Sucks! If mine ain't covered with my warranty, I'll be learning as I go cause I'm not paying for that labor. I'm curious if the TR-3650's have the same parts for GT's and Mach1's.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:11 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Lol! Sucks! If mine ain't covered with my warranty, I'll be learning as I go cause I'm not paying for that labor. I'm curious if the TR-3650's have the same parts for GT's and Mach1's.
Exact same trannys.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #17
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Guys on the mach1registry say that Bama can't tune the 4v's. They recommended...

Eric Brooks at http://www.brooksspeed.com/

or

Don LaSota at http://www.lasotaracing.com/

I'm gonna let Bama runs its course, but I will call on these guys if I continue to have probs.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Guys on the mach1registry say that Bama can't tune the 4v's. They recommended...

Eric Brooks at Home - Brooks Speed

or

Don LaSota at SCT; Tuning guides; LaSota Racing Ford Tuning Index

I'm gonna let Bama runs its course, but I will call on these guys if I continue to have probs.
Due remember that even though running 91 octane is technically running premium, that 93 may be better since your compression is as high as it is. Maybe the tune should be written for that. Just a thought.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

there is no price for the books speed tuning service, just has you fill out about your car. interesting...
Old 09-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #19
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Due remember that even though running 91 octane is technically running premium, that 93 may be better since your compression is as high as it is. Maybe the tune should be written for that. Just a thought.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

there is no price for the books speed tuning service, just has you fill out about your car. interesting...
That's a good point. I was trying to be safe, but maybe it should be a 93 tune.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would try the 93 re-tune first then see if the problem still exists.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:

didnt you already run a 91 tune while running 93 octane and still had pinging? if thats the case a 93 tune will be more agressive and still have the same problem.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #22
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post

didnt you already run a 91 tune while running 93 octane and still had pinging? if thats the case a 93 tune will be more agressive and still have the same problem.
Yeah, I did have pinging, really on all my tunes. I think that's why I thought I was going safe with a 91 racing rather than a 93 racing. So I was right to do that?
Old 09-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, I did have pinging, really on all my tunes. I think that's why I thought I was going safe with a 91 racing rather than a 93 racing. So I was right to do that?
****ty gas is ****ty gas. Or a bad tuner. I know bama is well know but if the only constant in both tunes is the tuner.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #24
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

****ty gas is ****ty gas. Or a bad tuner. I know bama is well know but if the only constant in both tunes is the tuner.
I always buy my gas from the same Shell station. I just think the tune is just too aggressive and they don't have as much experience with 4v engines like they do with the 2v's. I wonder how many Cobra owners have had issues with tunes?
Old 09-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I always buy my gas from the same Shell station. I just think the tune is just too aggressive and they don't have as much experience with 4v engines like they do with the 2v's. I wonder how many Cobra owners have had issues with tunes?
Funny you said that. I had been reading up on the issue I had and alot of the guys were saying that shell was not very good and had not that good of experience running it. Interesting though, I'd change a tank of gas.

Get me a shot (a good HD one) of your engine bay. if you'd be so kindly.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #26
Lorraine's driver

Regular

This work okay?
Attachment 66657
Old 09-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Azure question what do you do to keep track on what you do on a tune?
Old 09-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #28
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Azure question what do you do to keep track on what you do on a tune?
I keep the files in separate folders on my laptop as well as some notes in a notebook about them from Bama and what I experienced.

If I was making all the adjustments, I'd being doing a lot more note taking. Actually, I'd probably do some data logging on each tune and do some graphs, etc.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:

I keep the files in separate folders on my laptop as well as some notes in a notebook about them from Bama and what I experienced.

If I was making all the adjustments, I'd being doing a lot more note taking. Actually, I'd probably do some data logging on each tune and do some graphs, etc.
this is how i roll. but im carbed... just a thought that maybe something similar can be made for your tuners?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3175284481.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	67269  
Old 09-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #30
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post

this is how i roll. but im carbed... just a thought that maybe something similar can be made for your tuners?
I like you humidity and A/F smilies We get columns and rows of data in an Excel CSV file. After that, we can get creative. This last data log for Bama, I did it exactly how they asked, even though they are not real specific. If I was tuning it myself I would be more meticulous about it.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Quote:

I like you humidity and A/F smilies We get columns and rows of data in an Excel CSV file. After that, we can get creative. This last data log for Bama, I did it exactly how they asked, even though they are not real specific. If I was tuning it myself I would be more meticulous about it.
yeah the humidity factor was calculated by the sweat on my face those days. when i get more into it i hope to have more accurate calculations. haha

also i had found an app that lets me use,modify, and create excel documents. so i am able to do all this quick looging with my convenient ipad without even firing up the pc.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT