Clutch and Fly Wheel - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #1

Region: Oklahoma
Clutch and Fly Wheel

I have a 2000 GT, I got it with a "Stage II" Clutch, so the previous owner tells me. It's making a knocking noise so I'm wanting to replace it and the fly wheel.

Question is what size clutch do I have and is my fly wheel 6 or 8 bolts?

Is there a way I can tell the size and number of bolts without dropping the tranny.

Also it gives me hell going into 1st sometimes.
Tyler09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
It looks like 8 bolt for your flywheel.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-s...604-8bolt.html

You should probably investigate to find out exactly what is making the noise you hear. It could be the throw out bearing. Does the noise stop when you put in the clutch (down to the floor)?

If you know for sure you want to replace your clutch and flywheel regardless, I recommend replacing the pilot and throw out bearings since you need to drop the tranny to replace those parts. Use Ford Racing pilot & TOB as they have proven their durability over the years.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #3

It just does it at random times, its the clutch or fly wheel ,i think. I went to put it in first when it was making the knocking sound and i felt it in the shifter, im bad at describing these things but, if it isn't i know the clutch and fly wheel will be new, and it crosses one thing to replace off the list. I think it needs new motor mounts as well. Its a 12 yr old car so it couldn't hurt to replace them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 04:31 AM   #4
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler09 View Post
It just does it at random times, its the clutch or fly wheel ,i think. I went to put it in first when it was making the knocking sound and i felt it in the shifter, im bad at describing these things but, if it isn't i know the clutch and fly wheel will be new, and it crosses one thing to replace off the list. I think it needs new motor mounts as well. Its a 12 yr old car so it couldn't hurt to replace them.
Sounds like the gears are grinding a little sometimes when your putting it in 1st gear. I've seen this happen if you try to put it in 1st when the car is moving a little fast for first. If it happens often when your stopped, it could mean your clutch if going bad. From your first post, it sounded like you had an aftermarket clutch, which usually last longer. It could simply a clutch cable adjustment that could help this out. If it seems hard to shift in other gears too, it could be you need to get the fluid changed.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #5

Whats a good clutch & fly wheel brand to use?

I dont plan on doing too much too the car. Headers, H-pipe, CAI, bigger throttle body, Underdrive pullies, small bolt ons.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
King cobra clutch is a good brand
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT