Vortech Supercharger!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
TopgearGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: California
Posts: 177
Vortech Supercharger!!

im gonna be in the market for a supercharger soon and this is what i wanna go with! I trust you guys will help me out! Im excited to do this!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VO...58SQ/?rtype=10

Here are my questions! please answer as many as possible!
1.pos. and neg.
2.how easy is it to install?
3. do i have to tap into the oil line?
4.if yes to #3 where do i tap in? possibly the oil pan?
5.should i go with kenny bell?
6. whats the lag time with it being a mix between turbo and s/c?
7.anybody live in cali near camp pendleton want to help with the install?
8.what psi #'s can i run on a stock motor?

thats it for now! Thanks in advance!
__________________
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/users/25023-albums2837-17413.jpg
CSVT and 02 GT!
TopgearGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearGT
im gonna be in the market for a supercharger soon and this is what i wanna go with! I trust you guys will help me out! Im excited to do this!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VO...58SQ/?rtype=10

Here are my questions! please answer as many as possible!
1.pos. and neg.
2.how easy is it to install?
3. do i have to tap into the oil line?
4.if yes to #3 where do i tap in? possibly the oil pan?
5.should i go with kenny bell?
6. whats the lag time with it being a mix between turbo and s/c?
7.anybody live in cali near camp pendleton want to help with the install?
8.what psi #'s can i run on a stock motor?

thats it for now! Thanks in advance!
#6 Im going to probably get the Vortech for my car. Its an 07 so idk if it will be the same but im sure it its. It will kick in at about 3k rpms,
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,291
Re: Vortech Supercharger!!

This is the kit im going to order this week....It comes with everything you need EVERYTHING
'96-'04 Mustang 4.6 2V 2.1L Supercharger

You could prolly get away with running 6 PSI or maybe 9 on stock motor.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Arron's racecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Nevada
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearGT
im gonna be in the market for a supercharger soon and this is what i wanna go with! I trust you guys will help me out! Im excited to do this!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VO...58SQ/?rtype=10

Here are my questions! please answer as many as possible!
1.pos. and neg.
2.how easy is it to install?
3. do i have to tap into the oil line?
4.if yes to #3 where do i tap in? possibly the oil pan?
5.should i go with kenny bell?
6. whats the lag time with it being a mix between turbo and s/c?
7.anybody live in cali near camp pendleton want to help with the install?
8.what psi #'s can i run on a stock motor?

thats it for now! Thanks in advance!
1. + cheapest way to make serious power. - cant expect the stock bottom end to hold up too long.
2. It's not too difficult. But the kit u are buy isn't complete. You need to purchase bigger injectors. And a stronger fuel pump to support the SC's fuel needs. And you will have to get it tuned.
3. Yes
4. On the oil pan
5. Not on the stock bottom end( those KBs are mean!)
6. There is no "turbo lag" with any super charger.
7. I live in Reno nv so sorry lol.
8. There isnt really a psi limit so much as a HP limit. The stock bottom end will not safely handle over 450 hp and won't last too long even if you don't hit that mark. 400hp really is all that you should shoot for if you want your motor to last longer. If your power goals exceed this then you will need to upgrade to a forged bottom end.
__________________
2004 GT current mods : CAI, BBK Short throw shifter TB and UDPs, SCT x3/SF3 with BAMA Perfomance tunes Roush body kit, roush side skirt exhaust and paint.
Arron's racecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
TopgearGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: California
Posts: 177
Re: Vortech Supercharger!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00 View Post
This is the kit im going to order this week....It comes with everything you need EVERYTHING
'96-'04 Mustang 4.6 2V 2.1L Supercharger

You could prolly get away with running 6 PSI or maybe 9 on stock motor.
I was looking at this kit too!!! this one is actually cheaper too because it comes with everything you need in one package plus a tune!

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron's racecar View Post
1. + cheapest way to make serious power. - cant expect the stock bottom end to hold up too long.
2. It's not too difficult. But the kit u are buy isn't complete. You need to purchase bigger injectors. And a stronger fuel pump to support the SC's fuel needs. And you will have to get it tuned.
3. Yes
4. On the oil pan
5. Not on the stock bottom end( those KBs are mean!)
6. There is no "turbo lag" with any super charger.
7. I live in Reno nv so sorry lol.
8. There isnt really a psi limit so much as a HP limit. The stock bottom end will not safely handle over 450 hp and won't last too long even if you don't hit that mark. 400hp really is all that you should shoot for if you want your motor to last longer. If your power goals exceed this then you will need to upgrade to a forged bottom end.
THANKS A LOT MAN!! wow that hit it spot on! what if i was to run a KB at 8 psi pushing near 380 HP? whats the life expectancy of the engine? its has 93,000 miles at the moment!
__________________
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/users/25023-albums2837-17413.jpg
CSVT and 02 GT!
TopgearGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Arron's racecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Nevada
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearGT

I was looking at this kit too!!! this one is actually cheaper too because it comes with everything you need in one package plus a tune!

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------



THANKS A LOT MAN!! wow that hit it spot on! what if i was to run a KB at 8 psi pushing near 380 HP? whats the life expectancy of the engine? its has 93,000 miles at the moment!
The thing about a supercharger is the only way to increase psi is to change the size of the pulley.
And I believe that the kb kit kit pushes like 9-10 psi outta the box and that will put you at around the 400 mark or more depending on if you intercool it and altitude and various other factors. The vortech is a good kit and is more than capable of delivering as much power as your factory block can handle. At 380-400hp I think it would be safe to say you might see 150,000 miles.
__________________
2004 GT current mods : CAI, BBK Short throw shifter TB and UDPs, SCT x3/SF3 with BAMA Perfomance tunes Roush body kit, roush side skirt exhaust and paint.
Arron's racecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stockish302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: California
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearGT
im gonna be in the market for a supercharger soon and this is what i wanna go with! I trust you guys will help me out! Im excited to do this!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VO...58SQ/?rtype=10

Here are my questions! please answer as many as possible!
1.pos. and neg.
2.how easy is it to install?
3. do i have to tap into the oil line?
4.if yes to #3 where do i tap in? possibly the oil pan?
5.should i go with kenny bell?
6. whats the lag time with it being a mix between turbo and s/c?
7.anybody live in cali near camp pendleton want to help with the install?
8.what psi #'s can i run on a stock motor?

thats it for now! Thanks in advance!
You should get the v3 with the intercooler and its self oiling so you wont have to tap the oil pan.
__________________
BBK cai, 96 tbird maf housing, BBK 70mm TB, TFS intake manifold, BBK shortys, bassani off road X pipe, Flowmasters with turndowns

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Stockish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rm360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,140
I love my KB , I'm running 10lbs of boost on a stock bottom end , the supercharger is only as safe a the tune you have, the stock block can handle the hp numbers as long as your tune is safe, I got a buddy with a v2 , comp stage II cams , full exhaust , and all bolt ons, he's making 436 rwhp that's almost 500 at the crank all this with a stock bottom end and 100k on the clock
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron's racecar

1. + cheapest way to make serious power. - cant expect the stock bottom end to hold up too long.
2. It's not too difficult. But the kit u are buy isn't complete. You need to purchase bigger injectors. And a stronger fuel pump to support the SC's fuel needs. And you will have to get it tuned.
3. Yes
4. On the oil pan
5. Not on the stock bottom end( those KBs are mean!)
6. There is no "turbo lag" with any super charger.
7. I live in Reno nv so sorry lol.
8. There isnt really a psi limit so much as a HP limit. The stock bottom end will not safely handle over 450 hp and won't last too long even if you don't hit that mark. 400hp really is all that you should shoot for if you want your motor to last longer. If your power goals exceed this then you will need to upgrade to a forged bottom end.
Your wrong about #6. A centrifugal Supercharger doesnt kick in till higher rpms. The Vortech is 3000rpms, ive talked to brenspeed.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Arron's racecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Nevada
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360
I love my KB , I'm running 10lbs of boost on a stock bottom end , the supercharger is only as safe a the tune you have, the stock block can handle the hp numbers as long as your tune is safe, I got a buddy with a v2 , comp stage II cams , full exhaust , and all bolt ons, he's making 436 rwhp that's almost 500 at the crank all this with a stock bottom end and 100k on the clock
I'm sorry but you're wrong. The stock crank is only rated for 450 HP. Now it is possible to exceed that mark but it's not gonna be for very long. While you're right that a good tune is important, the fact is that the stock crank was never designed to handle that much power. Your friends motor is gonna die soon.

---------- Post added at 07:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake

Your wrong about #6. A centrifugal Supercharger doesnt kick in till higher rpms. The Vortech is 3000rpms, ive talked to brenspeed.
Thank you sir! Don't want to give bad info! I didn't know that centrifugals didn't kick in till 3000. Makes the KB look more appealing.
__________________
2004 GT current mods : CAI, BBK Short throw shifter TB and UDPs, SCT x3/SF3 with BAMA Perfomance tunes Roush body kit, roush side skirt exhaust and paint.
Arron's racecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rm360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron's racecar

I'm sorry but you're wrong. The stock crank is only rated for 450 HP. Now it is possible to exceed that mark but it's not gonna be for very long. While you're right that a good tune is important, the fact is that the stock crank was never designed to handle that much power. Your friends motor is gonna die soon.
The stock crank can handle up to 600 hp check it out !! His motor been that way for a few years now , and has seen quite a bit of track time, talk to mzilla on here he had almost the same set up and ran that for a couple years himself , untill he broke a valve spring! And that was a head failure nothing to do with the bottom end!

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360

The stock crank can handle up to 600 hp check it out !! His motor been that way for a few years now , and has seen quite a bit of track time, talk to mzilla on here he had almost the same set up and ran that for a couple years himself , untill he broke a valve spring! And that was a head failure nothing to do with the bottom end!
The rods and pistons are the weak link!
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron's racecar

I'm sorry but you're wrong. The stock crank is only rated for 450 HP. Now it is possible to exceed that mark but it's not gonna be for very long. While you're right that a good tune is important, the fact is that the stock crank was never designed to handle that much power. Your friends motor is gonna die soon.

---------- Post added at 07:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------



Thank you sir! Don't want to give bad info! I didn't know that centrifugals didn't kick in till 3000. Makes the KB look more appealing.
No prob buddy, a centri is pretty much a mix between sc and turbo. I know vortech and pro charger are both centris.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
TopgearGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: California
Posts: 177
So if I run 6 psi on a kb I will be fine? If so how much am I gonna enjoy it? Anybody running 6 psi and have an opinion? I love that s/c whine! Will I still get that sexy whine at 6 psi?
__________________
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/users/25023-albums2837-17413.jpg
CSVT and 02 GT!
TopgearGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rm360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearGT
So if I run 6 psi on a kb I will be fine? If so how much am I gonna enjoy it? Anybody running 6 psi and have an opinion? I love that s/c whine! Will I still get that sexy whine at 6 psi?
Yes !!! Not sure how much you will enjoy it , but it will be fun!! I'm also not sure if KB still makes the 1.7 liter supercharger, that was there 6psi kit, I think they only start at the 2.1 liter kit which starts at 9lbs of boost, I'm running 10lbs. with mine and it is a blast to drive!!!
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
TopgearGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: California
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360

Yes !!! Not sure how much you will enjoy it , but it will be fun!! I'm also not sure if KB still makes the 1.7 liter supercharger, that was there 6psi kit, I think they only start at the 2.1 liter kit which starts at 9lbs of boost, I'm running 10lbs. with mine and it is a blast to drive!!!
I think they do still make it. When I looked yesterday I saw a kit that ran 6 psi an was not intercooled! I want to push more boost but I want my engine to last a while... then again, if I blow it its just a good excuse to build and engine capable of being a beast!
__________________
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/users/25023-albums2837-17413.jpg
CSVT and 02 GT!
TopgearGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
CodyNelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,204
Re: Vortech Supercharger!!

Unfortunately I just had to list my vortech kit for sale. It is a great kit in great shape and would be perfect for you.
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rm360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearGT

I think they do still make it. When I looked yesterday I saw a kit that ran 6 psi an was not intercooled! I want to push more boost but I want my engine to last a while... then again, if I blow it its just a good excuse to build and engine capable of being a beast!
The thing to remember is the tune , with a bad tune you can just as easily blow the motor with 6psi as you can running 14psi
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
TopgearGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: California
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson
Unfortunately I just had to list my vortech kit for sale. It is a great kit in great shape and would be perfect for you.
Where you located?!?
__________________
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/users/25023-albums2837-17413.jpg
CSVT and 02 GT!
TopgearGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
smknfstbullitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 24
New to the site but I plan on doing the on3 turbo setup this winter. It's going to be a slow build due to it being my dd but I'm also a little worried about the stock bottom end. I know if I make 350hp I will always wonder what 400 is like, haha. I feel like its inevitable process. I'm praying my 4.10 gears prevent me from going overboard
smknfstbullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stockish302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: California
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron's racecar

I'm sorry but you're wrong. The stock crank is only rated for 450 HP. Now it is possible to exceed that mark but it's not gonna be for very long. While you're right that a good tune is important, the fact is that the stock crank was never designed to handle that much power. Your friends motor is gonna die soon.

---------- Post added at 07:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------



Thank you sir! Don't want to give bad info! I didn't know that centrifugals didn't kick in till 3000. Makes the KB look more appealing.
Actually its not the crank its the rods that are the weak link. I have seen stock cranks handle 600whp when we tuned a 98 gt with a procharger that used the stock crank and just did rods and pistons.

Hes but turbos and centrifugals don't heat soak since they desipate heat better than a roots and a twinscrew. And the kbs are only good with the intercooler as they cool the air and cooler air = more hp
__________________
BBK cai, 96 tbird maf housing, BBK 70mm TB, TFS intake manifold, BBK shortys, bassani off road X pipe, Flowmasters with turndowns

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Stockish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Arron's racecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Region: Nevada
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360

The stock crank can handle up to 600 hp check it out !! His motor been that way for a few years now , and has seen quite a bit of track time, talk to mzilla on here he had almost the same set up and ran that for a couple years himself , untill he broke a valve spring! And that was a head failure nothing to do with the bottom end!

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------



The rods and pistons are the weak link!
Well then it seems I've been misinformed. I've always been warned not to exceed 450hp on a stock bottom end. Just to make sure, the "bottom end" consists of the block, crankshaft, rods, and pistons yes?
__________________
2004 GT current mods : CAI, BBK Short throw shifter TB and UDPs, SCT x3/SF3 with BAMA Perfomance tunes Roush body kit, roush side skirt exhaust and paint.
Arron's racecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
CodyNelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,204
Re: Vortech Supercharger!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearGT View Post
Where you located?!?
Im in West Virginia
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:30 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.