What should I get? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
IIAMSTARK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 128
What should I get?

I am turning 17 soon, and graduating shortly afterwards, so my parents agreed to pay for half of a car for me. I have a 1994 Mustang GT vert right now, but I am strongly considering getting a 2003 cobra. My price range is up to about $17,000. I am just wanting some opinions on what you guys think would be my best bet for my price range.
IIAMSTARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Horseplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 4,265
u can find a clean mach one for under that price range. but u might be able to find a termi also with that. ive seen them go any where from 17-23k
__________________

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
If 17k is the price range then yes look for a cobra those are some fast and good looking cars.
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
infamous281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK
I am turning 17 soon, and graduating shortly afterwards, so my parents agreed to pay for half of a car for me. I have a 1994 Mustang GT vert right now, but I am strongly considering getting a 2003 cobra. My price range is up to about $17,000. I am just wanting some opinions on what you guys think would be my best bet for my price range.
You can find a cobra for 17000 they go for 18-25k
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
jjsg09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,224
Man to be 17 and have a 03-04 Cobra......wow.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
IIAMSTARK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09
Man to be 17 and have a 03-04 Cobra......wow.
I work my butt off though. I work full time, do paint and body when I'm not at work, and then mow lawns whenever I can. So I guess I have just been blessed with the opportunity to make money. But I dont just sit there doing nothing. Haha.
IIAMSTARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
IIAMSTARK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay
u can find a clean mach one for under that price range. but u might be able to find a termi also with that. ive seen them go any where from 17-23k
One of my buddies has a 2003 Sonic Blue Cobra. It has got to be one of the sexiest cars I have ever seen, it's a terminator and I want one soooooooo bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2919163929.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	633.1 KB
ID:	66344  
IIAMSTARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
fresh2death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,676
If you arent too concerned with miles you can get a decent termi for that price.
fresh2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:19 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Terminator definitely, , just remember huge I mean huge power difference =}„ but yes terminator indeed
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:24 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Brad.krieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: California
Posts: 317
Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
If you can get a terminator do it. Big jump tho from what you have now. I've seen those 05-09 models for about 15+ grand over here too. Not really comparable though... still nice though...
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:45 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stockish302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: California
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK

One of my buddies has a 2003 Sonic Blue Cobra. It has got to be one of the sexiest cars I have ever seen, it's a terminator and I want one soooooooo bad.
Coming from someone who had a cobra at 19 if you are like me those damn halfs and that irs becomes a nightmare think I spent like 5k on the rear end alone till I went SRA. Moral of the story no burn outs and light launching. Get a cobra or a mach 1 anything with a 4v but aim for the termi they are great cars but for a 17 year old I would downtune to the point that it would be as fast as a mach 1. Good luck with your search tho.
__________________
BBK cai, 96 tbird maf housing, BBK 70mm TB, TFS intake manifold, BBK shortys, bassani off road X pipe, Flowmasters with turndowns

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Stockish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
9tee7pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Radford
Region: Virginia
Posts: 673
I would be afraid to hurt a termi if I could afford one and I wouldn't be able to trust myself in it. My 97 gt is plenty fast for my 17 year old self. Although I did almost buy a 25th anniversary trans am. I'd probably say go with a Mach 1 or 05+, but that is just me being afraid to hurt a termi.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,858
Re: What should I get?

Keep in mind that an 03-04 Cobra at that price could be a little beaten. It could have been heavily modded, but selling it, the owner removed some of the mods because he'll make more money that way. You want to make sure it's running good. Your insurance will be stupid high. Really, that part will suck.

Just remember, once you get that Terminator, all you'll want to do is clean it, wax it, fix it up, and cruise with your buddies. So you'll need to force yourself to keep up your hard work that you've mentioned. That will be tough.

Good luck! I hope you find one
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockish302

Coming from someone who had a cobra at 19 if you are like me those damn halfs and that irs becomes a nightmare think I spent like 5k on the rear end alone till I went SRA. Moral of the story no burn outs and light launching. Get a cobra or a mach 1 anything with a 4v but aim for the termi they are great cars but for a 17 year old I would downtune to the point that it would be as fast as a mach 1. Good luck with your search tho.
So no burnouts? got it
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
IIAMSTARK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
Keep in mind that an 03-04 Cobra at that price could be a little beaten. It could have been heavily modded, but selling it, the owner removed some of the mods because he'll make more money that way. You want to make sure it's running good. Your insurance will be stupid high. Really, that part will suck.

Just remember, once you get that Terminator, all you'll want to do is clean it, wax it, fix it up, and cruise with your buddies. So you'll need to force yourself to keep up your hard work that you've mentioned. That will be tough.

Good luck! I hope you find one
My parents have been with our insurance company since before I was born, so my insurance per YEAR for FULL COVERAGE is $12. I know it's $1 a month. I don't know how it works, but I don't worry about it.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
Keep in mind that an 03-04 Cobra at that price could be a little beaten. It could have been heavily modded, but selling it, the owner removed some of the mods because he'll make more money that way. You want to make sure it's running good. Your insurance will be stupid high. Really, that part will suck.

Just remember, once you get that Terminator, all you'll want to do is clean it, wax it, fix it up, and cruise with your buddies. So you'll need to force yourself to keep up your hard work that you've mentioned. That will be tough.

Good luck! I hope you find one
Also, I work full time as a detailer, so I get my fair share of cleaning in each day.

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tee7pony
I would be afraid to hurt a termi if I could afford one and I wouldn't be able to trust myself in it. My 97 gt is plenty fast for my 17 year old self. Although I did almost buy a 25th anniversary trans am. I'd probably say go with a Mach 1 or 05+, but that is just me being afraid to hurt a termi.
I am not scared to go fast, but I take care of my cars. I am always checking things to make sure it's good. So I am not too concerned.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockish302

Coming from someone who had a cobra at 19 if you are like me those damn halfs and that irs becomes a nightmare think I spent like 5k on the rear end alone till I went SRA. Moral of the story no burn outs and light launching. Get a cobra or a mach 1 anything with a 4v but aim for the termi they are great cars but for a 17 year old I would downtune to the point that it would be as fast as a mach 1. Good luck with your search tho.
Why would I want to downtune? I respect the car, and I have got to drive a street legal 9 second car. (quarter mile) I also like Mach 1's but I am too obsessed with super charger whining.
IIAMSTARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stockish302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: California
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch

So no burnouts? got it
I broke halfs rolling out of burnouts at the strip but I always got a set before going to the track just in case I broke one I would replace them at the parking lots and keep doing passes.
__________________
BBK cai, 96 tbird maf housing, BBK 70mm TB, TFS intake manifold, BBK shortys, bassani off road X pipe, Flowmasters with turndowns

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Stockish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
IIAMSTARK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockish302

I broke halfs rolling out of burnouts at the strip but I always got a set before going to the track just in case I broke one I would replace them at the parking lots and keep doing passes.
Couldn't I just get an axle swap and a different spline and be good on my rear end?
IIAMSTARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockish302

I broke halfs rolling out of burnouts at the strip but I always got a set before going to the track just in case I broke one I would replace them at the parking lots and keep doing passes.
Damn and burnouts are awesome, better not do them then, dont got the bank to buy a new or fix the broken one
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stockish302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: California
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK

My parents have been with our insurance company since before I was born, so my insurance per YEAR for FULL COVERAGE is $12. I know it's $1 a month. I don't know how it works, but I don't worry about it.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------



Also, I work full time as a detailer, so I get my fair share of cleaning in each day.

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------



I am not scared to go fast, but I take care of my cars. I am always checking things to make sure it's good. So I am not too concerned.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------



Why would I want to downtune? I respect the car, and I have got to drive a street legal 9 second car. (quarter mile) I also like Mach 1's but I am too obsessed with super charger whining.
When I was your age I had a gt350 with a 393w that I used to take to beat the heat in famoso, that was my high 10(on juice) daily driver in highschool and even then I would sometimes forget and would floor it to get in to the freeway and get tail happy but I blame those pos 275s it came with it was like I was driving on oil. And the insurance is going to kill you I paid around 230 A MONTH it was almost the same as I paid for the payment lol but that blower sound is awesome specially from a twin screw I had a whipple/n2o set up and loved it I regret selling the car but I wanted a new project :/

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK

Couldn't I just get an axle swap and a different spline and be good on my rear end?
The rear end set up that lasted me the most was DSS axles,eaton locker, diff cover with brace, and the irs grip box cost around high 3k but worth it.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch

Damn and burnouts are awesome, better not do them then, dont got the bank to buy a new or fix the broken one
You can do burn outs just don't go to crazy I also launched at 4k so my half were bound to break anyways lol
__________________
BBK cai, 96 tbird maf housing, BBK 70mm TB, TFS intake manifold, BBK shortys, bassani off road X pipe, Flowmasters with turndowns

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Stockish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockish302

When I was your age I had a gt350 with a 393w that I used to take to beat the heat in famoso, that was my high 10(on juice) daily driver in highschool and even then I would sometimes forget and would floor it to get in to the freeway and get tail happy but I blame those pos 275s it came with it was like I was driving on oil. And the insurance is going to kill you I paid around 230 A MONTH it was almost the same as I paid for the payment lol but that blower sound is awesome specially from a twin screw I had a whipple/n2o set up and loved it I regret selling the car but I wanted a new project :/

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------



The rear end set up that lasted me the most was DSS axles,eaton locker, diff cover with brace, and the irs grip box cost around high 3k but worth it.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------



You can do burn outs just don't go to crazy I also launched at 4k so my half were bound to break anyways lol
Hmm yeah probably still not, dang at 4k? So when I launch I better keep it low?
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stockish302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: California
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch

Hmm yeah probably still not, dang at 4k? So when I launch I better keep it low?
I don't like to baby my cars I give them a hard life but I do take good care of them. I ran hoosier QTP 28x13.5 15s hooked with no problem I still run that same size tire just now they cost $20 more each now.
__________________
BBK cai, 96 tbird maf housing, BBK 70mm TB, TFS intake manifold, BBK shortys, bassani off road X pipe, Flowmasters with turndowns

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Stockish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Butch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockish302

I don't like to baby my cars I give them a hard life but I do take good care of them. I ran hoosier QTP 28x13.5 15s hooked with no problem I still run that same size tire just now they cost $20 more each now.
Ah ok, im on streets, stage 3 clutch and just need, to my knowledge, a TB to complete full bolt ons
__________________
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
-----NEHP---
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:06 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
IIAMSTARK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockish302

When I was your age I had a gt350 with a 393w that I used to take to beat the heat in famoso, that was my high 10(on juice) daily driver in highschool and even then I would sometimes forget and would floor it to get in to the freeway and get tail happy but I blame those pos 275s it came with it was like I was driving on oil. And the insurance is going to kill you I paid around 230 A MONTH it was almost the same as I paid for the payment lol but that blower sound is awesome specially from a twin screw I had a whipple/n2o set up and loved it I regret selling the car but I wanted a new project :/

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------



The rear end set up that lasted me the most was DSS axles,eaton locker, diff cover with brace, and the irs grip box cost around high 3k but worth it.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------



You can do burn outs just don't go to crazy I also launched at 4k so my half were bound to break anyways lol
Well, I don't plan to be making payments. I like to buy things out right. And I also don't think my insurance would go up that much.
IIAMSTARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
WheelStander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,470
2003 Mustang Cobra SVT Supercharged 32v 6spd Black $16500

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ctd/3219766991.html
__________________
Induction: Kenne Bell | wHp: 515 Tq: 503 | 1/4 Mile:11.09@123
WheelStander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Brad.krieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: California
Posts: 317
Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander
2003 Mustang Cobra SVT Supercharged 32v 6spd Black $16500

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ctd/3219766991.html
Wow, seems too good to be true man... And it's from a dealer, i'd run the other way. Seriously.
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Speed_Mister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central Arkansas
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 1,220
Go cobra
__________________
2004 Mustang GT 5 Speed
Full Bolt Ons
370rwhp 470rwtq
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



07:30 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.