What should I get? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
What should I get?

I am turning 17 soon, and graduating shortly afterwards, so my parents agreed to pay for half of a car for me. I have a 1994 Mustang GT vert right now, but I am strongly considering getting a 2003 cobra. My price range is up to about $17,000. I am just wanting some opinions on what you guys think would be my best bet for my price range.
IIAMSTARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
u can find a clean mach one for under that price range. but u might be able to find a termi also with that. ive seen them go any where from 17-23k

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If 17k is the price range then yes look for a cobra those are some fast and good looking cars.
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAMSTARK
I am turning 17 soon, and graduating shortly afterwards, so my parents agreed to pay for half of a car for me. I have a 1994 Mustang GT vert right now, but I am strongly considering getting a 2003 cobra. My price range is up to about $17,000. I am just wanting some opinions on what you guys think would be my best bet for my price range.
You can find a cobra for 17000 they go for 18-25k
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Man to be 17 and have a 03-04 Cobra......wow.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09
Man to be 17 and have a 03-04 Cobra......wow.
I work my butt off though. I work full time, do paint and body when I'm not at work, and then mow lawns whenever I can. So I guess I have just been blessed with the opportunity to make money. But I dont just sit there doing nothing. Haha.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay
u can find a clean mach one for under that price range. but u might be able to find a termi also with that. ive seen them go any where from 17-23k
One of my buddies has a 2003 Sonic Blue Cobra. It has got to be one of the sexiest cars I have ever seen, it's a terminator and I want one soooooooo bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2919163929.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	633.1 KB
ID:	66344  
Old 08-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If you arent too concerned with miles you can get a decent termi for that price.
fresh2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:19 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Terminator definitely, , just remember huge I mean huge power difference =}„ but yes terminator indeed
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:24 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
If you can get a terminator do it. Big jump tho from what you have now. I've seen those 05-09 models for about 15+ grand over here too. Not really comparable though... still nice though...
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:45 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

One of my buddies has a 2003 Sonic Blue Cobra. It has got to be one of the sexiest cars I have ever seen, it's a terminator and I want one soooooooo bad.
Coming from someone who had a cobra at 19 if you are like me those damn halfs and that irs becomes a nightmare think I spent like 5k on the rear end alone till I went SRA. Moral of the story no burn outs and light launching. Get a cobra or a mach 1 anything with a 4v but aim for the termi they are great cars but for a 17 year old I would downtune to the point that it would be as fast as a mach 1. Good luck with your search tho.

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Stockish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I would be afraid to hurt a termi if I could afford one and I wouldn't be able to trust myself in it. My 97 gt is plenty fast for my 17 year old self. Although I did almost buy a 25th anniversary trans am. I'd probably say go with a Mach 1 or 05+, but that is just me being afraid to hurt a termi.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Re: What should I get?

Keep in mind that an 03-04 Cobra at that price could be a little beaten. It could have been heavily modded, but selling it, the owner removed some of the mods because he'll make more money that way. You want to make sure it's running good. Your insurance will be stupid high. Really, that part will suck.

Just remember, once you get that Terminator, all you'll want to do is clean it, wax it, fix it up, and cruise with your buddies. So you'll need to force yourself to keep up your hard work that you've mentioned. That will be tough.

Good luck! I hope you find one
Old 08-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockish302

Coming from someone who had a cobra at 19 if you are like me those damn halfs and that irs becomes a nightmare think I spent like 5k on the rear end alone till I went SRA. Moral of the story no burn outs and light launching. Get a cobra or a mach 1 anything with a 4v but aim for the termi they are great cars but for a 17 year old I would downtune to the point that it would be as fast as a mach 1. Good luck with your search tho.
So no burnouts? got it
{Never Enough HP}
Old 08-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
Keep in mind that an 03-04 Cobra at that price could be a little beaten. It could have been heavily modded, but selling it, the owner removed some of the mods because he'll make more money that way. You want to make sure it's running good. Your insurance will be stupid high. Really, that part will suck.

Just remember, once you get that Terminator, all you'll want to do is clean it, wax it, fix it up, and cruise with your buddies. So you'll need to force yourself to keep up your hard work that you've mentioned. That will be tough.

My parents have been with our insurance company since before I was born, so my insurance per YEAR for FULL COVERAGE is $12. I know it's $1 a month. I don't know how it works, but I don't worry about it.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Also, I work full time as a detailer, so I get my fair share of cleaning in each day.

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tee7pony
I would be afraid to hurt a termi if I could afford one and I wouldn't be able to trust myself in it. My 97 gt is plenty fast for my 17 year old self. Although I did almost buy a 25th anniversary trans am. I'd probably say go with a Mach 1 or 05+, but that is just me being afraid to hurt a termi.
I am not scared to go fast, but I take care of my cars. I am always checking things to make sure it's good. So I am not too concerned.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Quote:

Why would I want to downtune? I respect the car, and I have got to drive a street legal 9 second car. (quarter mile) I also like Mach 1's but I am too obsessed with super charger whining.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch

So no burnouts? got it
I broke halfs rolling out of burnouts at the strip but I always got a set before going to the track just in case I broke one I would replace them at the parking lots and keep doing passes.

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Old 08-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I broke halfs rolling out of burnouts at the strip but I always got a set before going to the track just in case I broke one I would replace them at the parking lots and keep doing passes.
Couldn't I just get an axle swap and a different spline and be good on my rear end?
Old 08-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Damn and burnouts are awesome, better not do them then, dont got the bank to buy a new or fix the broken one
{Never Enough HP}
Old 08-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My parents have been with our insurance company since before I was born, so my insurance per YEAR for FULL COVERAGE is $12. I know it's $1 a month. I don't know how it works, but I don't worry about it.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Also, I work full time as a detailer, so I get my fair share of cleaning in each day.

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

I am not scared to go fast, but I take care of my cars. I am always checking things to make sure it's good. So I am not too concerned.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Why would I want to downtune? I respect the car, and I have got to drive a street legal 9 second car. (quarter mile) I also like Mach 1's but I am too obsessed with super charger whining.
When I was your age I had a gt350 with a 393w that I used to take to beat the heat in famoso, that was my high 10(on juice) daily driver in highschool and even then I would sometimes forget and would floor it to get in to the freeway and get tail happy but I blame those pos 275s it came with it was like I was driving on oil. And the insurance is going to kill you I paid around 230 A MONTH it was almost the same as I paid for the payment lol but that blower sound is awesome specially from a twin screw I had a whipple/n2o set up and loved it I regret selling the car but I wanted a new project :/

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Quote:

Couldn't I just get an axle swap and a different spline and be good on my rear end?
The rear end set up that lasted me the most was DSS axles,eaton locker, diff cover with brace, and the irs grip box cost around high 3k but worth it.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

Quote:

Damn and burnouts are awesome, better not do them then, dont got the bank to buy a new or fix the broken one
You can do burn outs just don't go to crazy I also launched at 4k so my half were bound to break anyways lol

Old 08-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

When I was your age I had a gt350 with a 393w that I used to take to beat the heat in famoso, that was my high 10(on juice) daily driver in highschool and even then I would sometimes forget and would floor it to get in to the freeway and get tail happy but I blame those pos 275s it came with it was like I was driving on oil. And the insurance is going to kill you I paid around 230 A MONTH it was almost the same as I paid for the payment lol but that blower sound is awesome specially from a twin screw I had a whipple/n2o set up and loved it I regret selling the car but I wanted a new project :/

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

The rear end set up that lasted me the most was DSS axles,eaton locker, diff cover with brace, and the irs grip box cost around high 3k but worth it.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

You can do burn outs just don't go to crazy I also launched at 4k so my half were bound to break anyways lol
Hmm yeah probably still not, dang at 4k? So when I launch I better keep it low?
{Never Enough HP}
Old 08-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hmm yeah probably still not, dang at 4k? So when I launch I better keep it low?
I don't like to baby my cars I give them a hard life but I do take good care of them. I ran hoosier QTP 28x13.5 15s hooked with no problem I still run that same size tire just now they cost $20 more each now.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:06 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't like to baby my cars I give them a hard life but I do take good care of them. I ran hoosier QTP 28x13.5 15s hooked with no problem I still run that same size tire just now they cost $20 more each now.
Ah ok, im on streets, stage 3 clutch and just need, to my knowledge, a TB to complete full bolt ons
{Never Enough HP}
Old 08-31-2012, 09:06 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well, I don't plan to be making payments. I like to buy things out right. And I also don't think my insurance would go up that much.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
2003 Mustang Cobra SVT Supercharged 32v 6spd Black $16500

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ctd/3219766991.html
Old 09-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander
2003 Mustang Cobra SVT Supercharged 32v 6spd Black $16500

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/ctd/3219766991.html
Wow, seems too good to be true man... And it's from a dealer, i'd run the other way. Seriously.
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Go cobra
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT