Stage 2 cams - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Stage 2 cams

I am thinking about getting a set of stage 2 cams for my gt, I know I will loose some bottom end horse but will gain higher rpm. I was wondering if I could put them on the stock heads and will it hurt anything? Let me know
Sonicblue11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Stage 2 cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicblue11 View Post
I am thinking about getting a set of stage 2 cams for my gt, I know I will loose some bottom end horse but will gain higher rpm. I was wondering if I could put them on the stock heads and will it hurt anything? Let me know
When I bought my stage 2 cams from comp, I saw a good bit on both lower and top end esp after 2 grand. You most certain can put them on the stock heads and springs but i would recommend changing your springs to the bee hive springs from comp. I didnt get it dyno tuned but i did have a SCT tuner that i messed with it a little.

Is your car a auto or stick?

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

what gear as well?
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

When I bought my stage 2 cams from comp, I saw a good bit on both lower and top end esp after 2 grand. You most certain can put them on the stock heads and springs but i would recommend changing your springs to the bee hive springs from comp. I didnt get it dyno tuned but i did have a SCT tuner that i messed with it a little.

Is your car a auto or stick?

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

what gear as well?
My gt is a stick, I wouldn't get an auto haha and gears you mean like gear ratio they are stock gears so 3.27 or whatever stock ones are, would I lose hp or gain from it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My gt is a stick, I wouldn't get an auto haha and gears you mean like gear ratio they are stock gears so 3.27 or whatever stock ones are, would I lose hp or gain from it?
aw okie well thats a good thing and nothing wrong with a auto, mine is a auto and I have a stall in it. But with the stage 2 cams I started off with 4:10's but I had to go back down to 3:73's because i was running out of power before I could get to the track.

I want to say the stage 2 cams reqire a 3:73 or higher according to comp cams website. You wouldnt loose or gain hp but you would see a better 60 ft time and so on.

But see when i went with my cams I already had a 75 mm throttle body and long tube headers that helped as well. The cams really do open a car up esp after 1800 Rpms.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

aw okie well thats a good thing and nothing wrong with a auto, mine is a auto and I have a stall in it. But with the stage 2 cams I started off with 4:10's but I had to go back down to 3:73's because i was running out of power before I could get to the track.

I want to say the stage 2 cams reqire a 3:73 or higher according to comp cams website. You wouldnt loose or gain hp but you would see a better 60 ft time and so on.

But see when i went with my cams I already had a 75 mm throttle body and long tube headers that helped as well. The cams really do open a car up esp after 1800 Rpms.
Nothing wrong with auto but I was getting 3.73 soon so that should be fine, I love the big lope that the cams have! They sound like an actual muscle car, how much did you pay for the install?
Old 08-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicblue11

Nothing wrong with auto but I was getting 3.73 soon so that should be fine, I love the big lope that the cams have! They sound like an actual muscle car, how much did you pay for the install?
Another thing, would I have to change the cam gears as well?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I did the install myself and far as changing the cam gears if you have the pressed on gears then most def you will have to change them. If you have the bolts on gears depending on miles, if you have over 100K miles then I still would they wear down as well. BUT PLEASE change the cam bolts because ford and comp both said they arent reusable and I thought they were crazy when they told me that so I reused them and 1200 bucks, 4 bend valves later it wish I had bought the cam bolts. The car was im timing but its a long story.
As far as 373's you will be fine but I would go 410's with since you are manual.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I did the install myself and far as changing the cam gears if you have the pressed on gears then most def you will have to change them. If you have the bolts on gears depending on miles, if you have over 100K miles then I still would they wear down as well. BUT PLEASE change the cam bolts because ford and comp both said they arent reusable and I thought they were crazy when they told me that so I reused them and 1200 bucks, 4 bend valves later it wish I had bought the cam bolts. The car was im timing but its a long story.
As far as 373's you will be fine but I would go 410's with since you are manual.
I don't want 4.10 since I do a lot of highway driving and I heard good things about 3.73
Old 09-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't want 4.10 since I do a lot of highway driving and I heard good things about 3.73
I understand....you will be fine with 3:73...
Old 09-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I understand....you will be fine with 3:73...
Yeah man, I can't wait to get my motor done!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah man, I can't wait to get my motor done!!!
I bet, I was like that too now I cant wait until I get my KB on....lol
Old 09-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I bet, I was like that too now I cant wait until I get my KB on....lol
Haha that should rip dude, push some high hp numbers! What whipple? 2.1 or?
Old 09-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I got the big bore 2.1L
Old 09-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Watch out though cause half the time you have to pull the pistons for valve clearance with stage 2 cams. It almost seems like its a hit or miss deal. And make sure you buy 2 crank shaft bolts cause the cam bolts are to small and if your doing it yourself make sure you buy everything to degree the cams properly. That's roughly another 200 for just that.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut
Watch out though cause half the time you have to pull the pistons for valve clearance with stage 2 cams. It almost seems like its a hit or miss deal. And make sure you buy 2 crank shaft bolts cause the cam bolts are to small and if your doing it yourself make sure you buy everything to degree the cams properly. That's roughly another 200 for just that.
I never heard of taking the pistons out? Even if I got with the beehive springs?
Old 09-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicblue11

I never heard of taking the pistons out? Even if I got with the beehive springs?
Neither have I, if you go with comp cam energy cam for modular motors and the behives you don't take the pistons out nor degree them. But you can degree them though.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Neither have I, if you go with comp cam energy cam for modular motors and the behives you don't take the pistons out nor degree them. But you can degree them though.
What does degree do to the cams?
Old 09-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

You've never heard of having to flycut the pistons for clearance? Or having to degree the cams. If you don't degree them they are almost never properly installed and untunable cause it shows in the data logging that's banks 1 and 2 are fighting each other
Old 09-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You've never heard of having to flycut the pistons for clearance? Or having to degree the cams. If you don't degree them they are almost never properly installed and untunable cause it shows in the data logging that's banks 1 and 2 are fighting each other
Nope, I thought you could just put them in and I know you can
Old 09-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have to disagree with flycutting the pistons and degreeing them. I have put stage two and three cams in my car without doing Any of that and had it dyno tuned with no problems. You can degree the cams on a 4.6 but if you put it tdc before removing the stock cams then put it back in timing then you don't have degree anything. Maybe on other cars or a single cam engine I can see it or if you go with a really big cam on our engines but the specs of stage 2 and three comp energy cams there is no need it taken out the pistons or flycutting. You really dont have to degree them because if you line the timing marks according with the 1 cyn TDC then its in timing and the computer will do fine but degreeing them is a good practice.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
How do you guys feel about mhs stage 2 cams? For $750 he will pre degree the cams. Claims that ptv clearance isn't an issue until 6400rpm.
smknfstbullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknfstbullitt View Post
How do you guys feel about mhs stage 2 cams? For $750 he will pre degree the cams. Claims that ptv clearance isn't an issue until 6400rpm.
Never heard of them man, I use comp cams because they are right down the street from me so I get a good deal when I go in there. My SOHC red lines at 5800 stock but I moved it up to 6000-6200 with the tuner but im not going over that because thats pushing it.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Idk that's what everyone says. I have stage 2 cams with no problems but I'm speaking from what I've heard.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut View Post
Idk that's what everyone says. I have stage 2 cams with no problems but I'm speaking from what I've heard.
Oh I know, I understand I really didnt mean it in a bad way or anything cuz as I was working on my car earlier I remember my pistons on my new engine are notched already so im not sure about the stage three cams. I def agree that with the stage two cams you dont have to cuz I ran them before. I thought the stock pistons are notched already and they arent.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Since I have nothing to do tom im going to run by comp and see if you have to notch the pistons with any of the extreme energy cams and let ya know.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh I know, I understand I really didnt mean it in a bad way or anything cuz as I was working on my car earlier I remember my pistons on my new engine are notched already so im not sure about the stage three cams. I def agree that with the stage two cams you dont have to cuz I ran them before. I thought the stock pistons are notched already and they arent.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Since I have nothing to do tom im going to run by comp and see if you have to notch the pistons with any of the extreme energy cams and let ya know.
Yeah man let me know!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

iight i will
Old 09-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
iight i will
iight man
Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #28

Region: Massachusetts
Hey guys sorry to hijack but I found this post during a google search and it's related to a question I have. I have also posted on 2 other forums. I recently bought a 2001 GT with Patriot Performace stage 2 heads and Comp Cams stage 2 cams (XE270AH-13). The car is currently tuned with a canned tune using a Diablosport Predator programmer and runs on premium gas. My question is if you guys know, can my car run OK if I program it to stock tune? I know it won't take advantage of the powerband etc but I need it to be in stock tune so I can pass the Massachusetts OBDII inspection. I contacted Comp Cams already and they assured me that there will not be any engine damage. I also am in contact with BAMA tuning to see if they can tune my car and have it be OBDII compliant. My last resort will be going with a milder cam that is close to stock. Any help, input or comments appreciated!
2001 GT. Oxford white. Patriot Performance heads. Comp cams. Ford Racing shorty headers. BBK under drive pullies. Roush CAI. 3000 Stall speed converter. 4:10 Gears. Bullitt calipers. Frame connectors. Bassani exhaust.
tmd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmd07
Hey guys sorry to hijack but I found this post during a google search and it's related to a question I have. I have also posted on 2 other forums. I recently bought a 2001 GT with Patriot Performace stage 2 heads and Comp Cams stage 2 cams (XE270AH-13). The car is currently tuned with a canned tune using a Diablosport Predator programmer and runs on premium gas. My question is if you guys know, can my car run OK if I program it to stock tune? I know it won't take advantage of the powerband etc but I need it to be in stock tune so I can pass the Massachusetts OBDII inspection. I contacted Comp Cams already and they assured me that there will not be any engine damage. I also am in contact with BAMA tuning to see if they can tune my car and have it be OBDII compliant. My last resort will be going with a milder cam that is close to stock. Any help, input or comments appreciated!
Yeah you'll be fine, just re tune it right after your test
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT