i feel like i been robbed and dont know what to do - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
i feel like i been robbed and dont know what to do

heres my story guys, hope you can point me jnto the right direction cause im about to make skme holes on this guy...

i traded cars with a guy on craigslist, he signed his title to me, and i did the same. last week I went to the DMV to register the car under my name and they gave me another form that needs to be signed by him. I called the guy and he refused to sign and he told me he was going to get his car back./ I told him, he couldn't cause i had the title, but the guy showed up to my house a few days later and tow the car away! I called the police and they say they couldn't do anything because the car was still registered under his name. Now he has both cars, and everybody in midland tx washes their hands by saying i need to hire a lawyer because its a civil case. My question is, is the Car title the ultimate proof of ownership? what can i do to get the car back? i want to hire a lawyer and sue his *** but i cant afford it at the moment.

any help will be appreciated guys
bluekswiss_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

so how did he get your old car signed under his name ? did u fill out other papers he gave u?

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

nah al we did is signed the titles. last time i bought a car i only got the title signed by the owner, and i didnt have any problems transferring the title to my name. as far as he registering my car, im sure he hasnt done it yet either. i guess the ****ty where i work has to do alot with the registration part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Re: i feel like i been robbed and dont know what to do

Whenever you do something like you did. Always! And I say again Always! Go to DMV together and sit down at the same booth and sign papers and register. ALWAYS!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

like i said, i never had any problems before.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekswiss_04 View Post
nah al we did is signed the titles. last time i bought a car i only got the title signed by the owner, and i didnt have any problems transferring the title to my name. as far as he registering my car, im sure he hasnt done it yet either. i guess the ****ty where i work has to do alot with the registration part.
I also would have reported the vehicle stolen and tell DMV you had a signed title in your glove box and you need to cancel the title.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

how was he able to just come and get the car from you? take a tow truck and go get your car. it was probably a bill of sale that needed his signature. even tho it was an even trade it may still have been needed. happened to me. i had to show a dollar amount so i put 1.00...

go get your car!!!
02 360R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekswiss_04 View Post
like i said, i never had any problems before.
Like you said "before"

Report the vehicle stolen. Get the police report and go to DMV and cancel that title!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

thats the thing, i tried to reported stolen bit the cops wont do anything. another bump its that he lives in a small city about 40 miles away from me. so the pd over there wont do **** either. Im from El Paso tx and down there its not hard to register a car like it is here. what im thinking to do is to go register the car down there and then go pick both cars up, and put him in the same situation.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Why don't you get a wrecker and have them tow your old car back.

Personally, I'd get a couple of my close buddy's, a couple of shovels and a bag of lime. This guy would disappear. Nobody will miss him, I promise.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

ha ha ha i know man, i cant believe there is people like that man, i i told the guy before he left, that if i didnt get my car i was gonna blow his head off, he went and cry to the cops right away.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Wool I live in El Paso also! Chicos Tacos 4 life!!
Anyways I think this is called theft by deception. You have a case against him. You're going to need a lawyer :/
Actually now that I hear your story I bought a motorcycle from a guy and he didn't give me a bill of sale.. I hope I don't have this problem when I go register it.. Though I've had to bike for 5 months already lol
CrookedHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

well you know how things are in el paso bro, the people there will actually try to help you and usually get things done. i called a few places in el paso and they all told me all i need is the title signed by the owner, the insurance card, and my license
Old 08-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Possesion is 9/10 of the law. He now legally has both cars in his posession with both legally titled to him.
Sorry but without paperwork to confirm your story you're screwed.

Btw, I would not recommend showing up at his house or threatening him anymore. Both will likely put you behind bars.

Your only chance is to hire an attorney and have deep pockets to pay him for the next year. I imagine your old car will be sold out of state here soon
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

dont you think a signed title by him? is enough proof? i mean yeah i know what youre saying, but this guy can go to jail for fraud or even auto theft. like i said il try to register the car first under my name if that doesnt work out. ill sue his ***. i still got all his text messages from when he contacted me first
Old 08-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I always record all conversations I have when selling/trading anything valuable. I just carry a voice recorder with me and get the whole deal on tape. I had somebody take a truck from me with a promise and a signed paper saying he would still owe $2,000 on it. He never payed and I couldn't do **** about it.

It's hard to believe there are people out there that can be suck ****ing dicks it's everything I could do not to kill that guy. But it would have just ended worse for me then..

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Possesion is 9/10 of the law. He now legally has both cars in his posession with both legally titled to him.
Sorry but without paperwork to confirm your story you're screwed.

Btw, I would not recommend showing up at his house or threatening him anymore. Both will likely put you behind bars.

Your only chance is to hire an attorney and have deep pockets to pay him for the next year. I imagine your old car will be sold out of state here soon
+1 Another Craigslist Scam
Old 08-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Set it on fire... Jk, but seriously, do it.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Then throw your phone in the ocean so they dont have any proof of planning it...

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

You dont need a lawyer. Just that title cause it proves dates. What I mean is. The records will show how he signed it over, then applied for a lost title. The date on the title you have should be before he got his new title. Any judge will know what he has done. This is not even close to the first time this has happened and the judges are well aware of this stuff happening. A lawyer would be a huge waste of money. Dont be scared of civil court. The judge will ask everything. Had the same exact situation happen to me and I won with ease. I didnt have any paperwork either.
mustang06gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldnt care Id kick his *** and take my keys back.
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Its time to break out the ole dueling gun.
I would stop the threats because that could get you in some serious trouble, especially of he is going straight to the cops. I try to always get a bill of sale when I buy or sell a car because it can protect both sides in many situations. It can even be something simple as I John Doe am selling this Honda for $1 (cuz that's all they're worth) to Johnny Appleseed as is, always include as is. Have both parties sign and make a copy. With a really good lawyer someone could get around this, but those chances are very slim.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

i'd just tow your old car back and wash your hands of the whole situation...when you get your car back i'd go to the DMV and explain what happened and that you want to apply for a new title. you'll be a little out of pocket but it'll help you in the long run...oh and don't have the car put back to your house...i'd stow it with a friend for a bit until the paperwork is finished

or if you have the cash sue
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT