Converter killed my pony!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2012, 01:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Converter killed my pony!!

So i put a 2800 stall ptc converter in my car it seems like it picked it up abunch but when i go to the track it dead hooks and the car bogs then picks back up?? It only picked my car up one tenth and everyone was tellin me put a converter in it put a converter in it itll bring it alive! Well it didnt any advice on how to stop it from bogging at the start?
03whitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03whitey
So i put a 2800 stall ptc converter in my car it seems like it picked it up abunch but when i go to the track it dead hooks and the car bogs then picks back up?? It only picked my car up one tenth and everyone was tellin me put a converter in it put a converter in it itll bring it alive! Well it didnt any advice on how to stop it from bogging at the start?
Turn trac control off?
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 02:27 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular
Supporter

Region: Indiana
Yeah, I can't image it bogging with 2800 stall. If anything, you'd start having more traction probs.
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:34 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yea traction control is off and i got 3.73 gears

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

When i dont get it against the converter and flash it it spins the tires off but when im against the converter it bogs idk

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 AM ----------

It picked it up from an 8.88 to an 8.72 im sure if it didnt bog it would pick it up alot more, cause ive read reviews and stuff on the converters and it said it should pick the cars up anywhere from 3 to 5 tenths im sorta disapointed lol
Old 09-02-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03whitey View Post
Yea traction control is off and i got 3.73 gears

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

When i dont get it against the converter and flash it it spins the tires off but when im against the converter it bogs idk

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 AM ----------

It picked it up from an 8.88 to an 8.72 im sure if it didnt bog it would pick it up alot more, cause ive read reviews and stuff on the converters and it said it should pick the cars up anywhere from 3 to 5 tenths im sorta disapointed lol
So it will bog if you keep the RPMs just below the stall before take off (like 2200-2500)?

But if you set idling and then go WOT it will spin?
Old 09-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yea thats exactly what its doin, i thought maybe i need to get some steeper gears like 4.10s but i realky dont kno cause youd think the 3.73s would be more than enough
Old 09-02-2012, 02:57 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Yea thats exactly what its doin, i thought maybe i need to get some steeper gears like 4.10s but i realky dont kno cause youd think the 3.73s would be more than enough
Will it bog if you do this out on the street too? You will definitely get better traction on the drag strip because they prep it. Does she bog anywhere else, like 2 to 3 shift?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

No on the street it blows the tires off both ways its just on the strip that it bogs like that and it does fine from 2nd to 3rd, it has mickey thompson drag radials on it too. On the strip when you got it againts the converter its like it just nose dives (or dies) then picks back up
Old 09-02-2012, 03:08 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular
Supporter

Quote:
No on the street it blows the tires off both ways its just on the strip that it bogs like that and it does fine from 2nd to 3rd, it has mickey thompson drag radials on it too. On the strip when you got it againts the converter its like it just nose dives (or dies) then picks back up
Do you feel like she's running good? I could see a slight grunt as your engine builds back up but I wouldn't call that a bog, not anywhere near dying.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yea she feels good feels alot faster till you look at the time slip your just like dang, and i dint guess i should say it "dies" it just seems sluggish
Old 09-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Yea she feels good feels alot faster till you look at the time slip your just like dang, and i dint guess i should say it "dies" it just seems sluggish
Do you have a tuner? If so, what tune are you running?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:27 AM   #12
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
That's called grip my friend...tuning your stang might be the key.
Azure (azzy as I call him) knows a bit about tunes.
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:30 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yea sct live wire tuner im running the 93 race tune in it, im glad he knows about the tuners cause i got some questions about it too then lol
Old 09-02-2012, 03:48 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Yea sct live wire tuner im running the 93 race tune in it, im glad he knows about the tuners cause i got some questions about it too then lol
Yeah the tuners are nice because they adjust your timing in RPM ranges. With you having a tune already, it might be good to see what others have experienced with a stall close to your range of 2800. You could ask for an updated tune and tell them you now have a stall at 2800 and what you are experiencing. Maybe they will adjust the 2000 to 4000 RPM range. Did you have any pinging at the track when you bogged? If so, you may need to ****** timing a little between 2000 and 4000 RPM.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

No pinging motor sounds fine and ok thanks for all your sugestions and help! I got another question for you lol also with the tune in when i shift from 1st to 2nd the rpms start climbing real fast then all of a sudden drop to 3800 rpms and starts climbing again, this also is hurting my car, it doesnt do that with the stock tune in and ive told bama performance 3 or 4 times about what it was doin and still no fix in my new tunes.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular
Supporter

Quote:
No pinging motor sounds fine and ok thanks for all your sugestions and help! I got another question for you lol also with the tune in when i shift from 1st to 2nd the rpms start climbing real fast then all of a sudden drop to 3800 rpms and starts climbing again, this also is hurting my car, it doesnt do that with the stock tune in and ive told bama performance 3 or 4 times about what it was doin and still no fix in my new tunes.
That's really odd as you could imagine. I would suggest performing a data log on the car to record what's happening. You can record many different points, but RPMs & Vehicle Speed are part of Bama's standard points to record. This is free for us to do. You download the software on your laptop and it links your tuner to your car to record the data. This will show them exactly what's happening. They can check to make sure their tune and your tuner are okay. All you have to do is call then and request a data log for your prob and they'll send you instructions.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Converter killed my pony!!

I have a 2800-3000 stall in my car and it does really well, in fact it made it a different car. Like Azure said it might be in the tune but when you tune the ECU it only regs the pressure and when it shifts, also it might have something to do with the stock cams as well. I noticed while I was looking to the mods I would need to upgrade to stage three cams I would have to get a stall. When I had my stage 2 cams my stock converter was fine but it was limiting my performance for my cams from what comp told me.

Not saying this is true or not but a 2800 stall and your stock cams might not be a good combo. I have the same thing as you far as gears and stall but my cams are different so that might be something to think about. When I ordered my stall from PTC the guy asked me the specs of my cam and gears so he could figure in what stall I needed and build it.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ok i really apreciate yalls help! Im about to order some new cams and see where it goes from there ill put an update on here when i do!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:23 AM   #19
Registered Member

Regular
Supporter

Right on! Good luck
Old 09-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok i really apreciate yalls help! Im about to order some new cams and see where it goes from there ill put an update on here when i do!
I think you will like the cam and stall combo, the info I posted above is from the people at PTC told me when i bought my stall. Cuz thats the first thing they asked when I told them I wanted a 2800 stall, is if I had after market cams lol.

Just some FYI if you decide to use comp cams, call them and tell them you have a 2800 stall and whats the best cam you should get on running pump gas.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Which comp cams did you get? I was looking at stage 2 extreme energy 270ah would stage 3 work in my pi heads with bigger valve springs etc.? I know if u get a real big cam u gotta notch the pistons ive heard that can be a pain!

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

I like ptc they have a great product and you couldnt ask for better people to talk to when you call them i live about an hour and a half away from where they are lol

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Im trying my best to get my car atleast in the 7.90s on motor on 8th mile track without a turbo or supercharger i have spray but dont like usein it cause i dont wanna be towing my car back from the track lol

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

My buddy has a 1990 coupe with a stock block 302 in it runnin 5.80s his front tires are off the ground when he leaves for the first 60 foot till he pedals it and gets it back down lol everyone cant believe it when they look under his hood and see a little ole 302 sittin there lol
Old 09-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Which comp cams did you get? I was looking at stage 2 extreme energy 270ah would stage 3 work in my pi heads with bigger valve springs etc.? I know if u get a real big cam u gotta notch the pistons ive heard that can be a pain!

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

I like ptc they have a great product and you couldnt ask for better people to talk to when you call them i live about an hour and a half away from where they are lol

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Im trying my best to get my car atleast in the 7.90s on motor on 8th mile track without a turbo or supercharger i have spray but dont like usein it cause i dont wanna be towing my car back from the track lol

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

My buddy has a 1990 coupe with a stock block 302 in it runnin 5.80s his front tires are off the ground when he leaves for the first 60 foot till he pedals it and gets it back down lol everyone cant believe it when they look under his hood and see a little ole 302 sittin there lol
I ran the XE268H's with stock heads, pistons ( not notched), and springs without a tune before I put the new motor in. The ones I have now are either the XE274H's or the XE278AH's I cant remember because its been so long ago and I cant find the box. On the new engine I do recall the pistons being notched already so call comp cams and ask them which cam you can use safely without notching the pistons. I just read on the install instructions that comp cams says you can degree with them but its not recommended because the Xtreme Energy cams are cut to a 4 degree advance. Haha so you are in AL or MS? I come through there all the time and I stopped in PTC to get the stall some really nice people.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Ok preciate the info and im from AL Roll Tide!! Lol
Old 09-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok preciate the info and im from AL Roll Tide!! Lol
Yup anytime, and roll tide lol I just got back from deploying with a AL unit lol let me know which one you go with. I might be able to get you a better deal with the cams by going by comp cams so let me know.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Definatly going with comp cams! Ive heard nothing but good things about them and they are jn memphis so a little faster shipping lol, and thanks for your service!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Definatly going with comp cams! Ive heard nothing but good things about them and they are jn memphis so a little faster shipping lol, and thanks for your service!
Haha, yeah I know their store is five mins from my house lol. They are good and helpful with questions and your welcome.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

U think u might can get me a good price on a set? Lol whats your car run on 8th? I work for the RR and i go into that big yard in memphis all the time
Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
U think u might can get me a good price on a set? Lol whats your car run on 8th? I work for the RR and i go into that big yard in memphis all the time
Pick out the set of cams you want and I can let you know what I can get them for. I did all of this work to the car and havent even ran it yet lol...I might take it down there one day this week and see what it does. I mainly built it for the quarter mile. What RR company do you work for? If is BNSF thats right down the road for my house.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

O ok theres only one quarter mile track jn bama lol all of em are 8th mile i bet ur cars gunna run damn good! And yea i work for BNSF we stay at the marriot when we are up there we use to live there wheb my dad first got on at bnsf when i was little we lived in cordova
Old 09-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
O ok theres only one quarter mile track jn bama lol all of em are 8th mile i bet ur cars gunna run damn good! And yea i work for BNSF we stay at the marriot when we are up there we use to live there wheb my dad first got on at bnsf when i was little we lived in cordova
yea i was going to bring it down there to that quarter mile track in near Bham one weekend for drill but I never got to it then they opened up Memphis again. Man I hope so cuz ive been wanting a fast Mustang lol. I know exactly where you stay and that yard cuz its like right down the road from my house if its the one near lamar and shelby drive, dude thats a good company to work for and hard to get on.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Yea thats it right off shelby! The main track that gies into the yard is called shellby main lol yea its hard to get on! And EASY to get fired! Theres a track right off i22 close to where i live in alabama its super nice its called i22 lol then you got holiday beach, bama drag way, lassiter mountain in bham and i think theres one more abd its the quarter mile
Old 09-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea thats it right off shelby! The main track that gies into the yard is called shellby main lol yea its hard to get on! And EASY to get fired! Theres a track right off i22 close to where i live in alabama its super nice its called i22 lol then you got holiday beach, bama drag way, lassiter mountain in bham and i think theres one more abd its the quarter mile
haha thats crazy, sorry didnt mean to take over the thread but thats crazy thats like 3 mins from the house. I have heard of them all esp Lassiter thats where some of the guys in my Unit go. Haha, that sounds about like where I work at Fedex.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Haha its cool man its helpin me get my 50 posts for my AM duscount lol and i kno small world aint it lol if you ever come down to race hit me up wr have a good ole time! And fed ex is a giid company to work for to forreal!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha its cool man its helpin me get my 50 posts for my AM duscount lol and i kno small world aint it lol if you ever come down to race hit me up wr have a good ole time! And fed ex is a giid company to work for to forreal!
haha that is true....When i come down there it is only to go to drill but I might bring one of the cars down there one weekend when my uncle races his bike at a track near him in dectur, AL. Fedex is awesome bro....
Old 09-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Ok that sounds good! And u know man i look forward to my parts i order to come in cause usually a hot lil blonde with them short shorts delivers em so u try my best to be home waitin hahah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT