Engine trouble - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #1

Region: California
Engine trouble

Hey guys i am new to this forum and just wanted to see what kind of suggestions i can get.

The problem is on my 03 GT, while cruising at 30-45 mph the car jerks back and forth and the engine surges at idle. Now i have replaced the fuel filter clean the MAF sensor, replaced the EGR valve, the TPS and the Transmission Range Sensor and still the problem persists. Any ideas on what could be wrong? Thanks in advance.
stangman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer
Re: Engine trouble

it doesnt like you or it wants to go faster...
Old 03-21-2008, 12:58 AM   #3

Yeah it just wants to go faster but i cant do 55 on a 35 know what i mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 06:19 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

with an 03... you're really going to have to hook the car up to a scanner, check out the fuel trims, make sure the MAF, TP, etc are all reporting properly to the PCM - have the car do a self test and all... with all the sensors on the car you aren't going to get too far just throwing parts at it..

You can also see which, if any cylinders are dropping out, fuel pressure and all
Old 03-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #5

Yeah i already put it through 3 different scanners to include the dealer and non of them can tell me what is wrong because nothing is showing up on the scanners.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:36 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

TONS will show up on a scanner, I was not talking about just reading codes

A competent technician would monitor everything that could cause this issue while the car is running and the issue is occurring, and see if anything's off, TCC slip issues, 02 values, fuel trims, real time misfires, EGR/ TP/MAF/ IAC inputs, everything..
Old 03-22-2008, 01:01 AM   #7

Yeah i know but nothing comes up. i have several good mechanics banging there heads over my problem. i am kind of running out of options.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

my apologies, I did not quite catch that part in your posts..

Nothing comes up on the scan tool, or nothing out of the ordinary comes up? what were the 02 voltage values, can you remember? esp. when scanning and the car is running rough..

I doubt this is the issue, but is the AC on or off when its doing this?

If you spray some carb cleaner around the engine bay with the car at idle, specifically around the TB, upper to lower intake, lower intake ports and MAF, and also the EGR.. don't drench it, just a few quick bursts. see if you can hear the idle change at all.. Although if STFTs and LTFTs were good when scanning it ought to not be a vacuum leak...

i'm assuming your car is automatic... how does the trans fluid look? If it looks fairly clean but has a burnt smell, you could have something causing the TC lockup to hang, that would cause an idle issue/shudder at idle, the extra load throws it off.... When going faster than 45 MPH or when the TC lockup is engaged... is the ride any smoother?

One more thing to try, that couldn't hurt to try...

one of your accessories could be giving up... try pulling the belt off, see if it idles any better

Plugs in good shape?
ALSO I had a problem with my 02 GT randomly shaking on the highway, and randomly dropping a cylinder at idle but I could not pinpoint the cylinder, finally used the WDS to test the coils, (mode 6 showed records of misfires on one cylinder a ton more than others, so I focused on that one) Load testing that coil for a while, found it was still firing, but its voltage dropped way too low, so the spark was really weak, but it was intermittent, happened more as the coil got warm

Just a thought, if you have a ford tech friend have them test the coils with a WDS...

Aside from these ideas.. I wouldn't know where to go afterwards without tinkering with the car myself
Old 03-22-2008, 08:15 PM   #9

Hey man man no apologies necassary. Now i cant remember the 02 voltage values but i believe they were still within specs. The car runs rough w/the AC on or off. As for spraying with Carb cleaner, already done that and i even shot it with propane and no vacuum leaks detected. Yes it is an automatic, i serviced the tranny completely. Ride above 45mph is very smooth. Plugs are new coils are good. Ill try taking the belt off and see what happens and ill let you know. Oh yeah, i tried something today, i disconnected the vacuum line going to the EGR valve and the car smoothed itself out at cruising speeds only not at idle. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #10

Ok took the belt off and still nothing but i do need a new idler pulley starting to squeek.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT