Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Major TR3650 clutch issue

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  MustangGT02 
#1 ·
Today I did an autocross and got four runs in. On the last run I totaly lost my clutch and was stuck in first. Got off the track and turned it off. Got back in it and it went into first but no other gears. My dad knows how to shift with out using the clutch so we got the car home and as we drove down the high way the clutch started to opperate again as if it got way to hot and the high speeds cooled it down. I am a novice when it comes to a manual, i just learned three weeks ago and I think on my last run I was trying to be smooth and rode the clutch too much. The car will run and shift fine now other than when taking off it sounds like the clutch is rattling or something. Will this go away or is it permante damage to the clutch?

Each run was about 50 seconds, and we had around 10 min in between runs so I was not constantly going at it. I would have thought a clutch can take more than that..

#4 ·
MustangGT02 said:
Everything works fine now, it just sounds bad on take off or reverse. I think it was like a brake disk getting to hot and working it, It will still work it will just pulse bad.
May have melted the disc to the flywheel, and released when it cooled down. The pulsing you feel may be hot spots on the flywheel + clutch material stuck to it.

#13 ·
MustangGT02 said:
Well this is the first anyone has told me that, its got about 250 on it now.
Yea 500 is the safe point you could of messed up the clutch springs. Wearing in a clutch is crucial to its overall life span. You could just keep driving it and see if it wears in a bit more. Is it chattering really bad on take off?

#14 ·
jjsg09 said:
Yea 500 is the safe point you could of messed up the clutch springs. Wearing in a clutch is crucial to its overall life span. You could just keep driving it and see if it wears in a bit more. Is it chattering really bad on take off?
Well I think half the problem was I learned how to drive stick in thus car so my first week with it was pry not to healthy on it. I think the more I drive it the chattering will go away, its noisy right now but due to 4.10s its to long that it does it. I think on down the road I will buy a ram clutch from lms that's 250 and resurface the flywheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.