Stock 2002 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Stock 2002 GT

just bought a 02 GT, it is an automatic...got it from a friend for a good price, low miles, 60,000. Motor is all stock...since i got it i have put aftermarket cobra rims on it, steeda springs which lowered it bout a inch and a half and a flowmaster exhaust system. Is buying a shift
kit worth it? or should i buy some new gears? but just wondering what should be one of the first things i do to the motor?
CAMARO_KILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: Stock 2002 GT

If you get gears youll want to buy a tuner as well to recalibrate your speedo...autos need this big time. Engine wise check out bbk's plenum/tb combo unit

As for a shift kit...yes theyre worth it. They even usually make ur trans last longer

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
thanks man, ive heard good things bout the shift kit, i was goin to convert to manual but i will be ok with auto and a shift kit. would u recommend little things like cold air intake or something like tht? or not even mess with it?
CAMARO_KILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMARO_KILLA
thanks man, ive heard good things bout the shift kit, i was goin to convert to manual but i will be ok with auto and a shift kit. would u recommend little things like cold air intake or something like tht? or not even mess with it?
Im definately gettin CAI when funds r available (bump in hp and throttle response)..seems a tune is also a great investment
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMARO_KILLA View Post
I dont know if the tuner for the older mustangs will let you turn your pressure up,,but mine ,,with sct i can scratch 2,3,and 4,,and when you regular driving it,,it shifts normal with a nice positive shift,,love it..I dont have a shift kit,,
Old 09-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

You'll want a tuner first and foremost. It'll allow you to recalibrate your speedo after a gear swap as well as retune shift points(which is awesome for autos). As for a shift kit it'll make your shifts a lot more solid and also replace a lot of little parts and pieces and springs in the auto trans that tend to wear out under heavy driving. One of my first mods if I were to get an auto would be install a shift kit and put in 4.30 gears followed by a retune. It'll feel like your car gained 100rwhp! Lol

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson
You'll want a tuner first and foremost. It'll allow you to recalibrate your speedo after a gear swap as well as retune shift points(which is awesome for autos). As for a shift kit it'll make your shifts a lot more solid and also replace a lot of little parts and pieces and springs in the auto trans that tend to wear out under heavy driving. One of my first mods if I were to get an auto would be install a shift kit and put in 4.30 gears followed by a retune. It'll feel like your car gained 100rwhp! Lol
X100000 on this...I'd also look into a CAI and that Bbk tb/plenum combo. I have it and LOVE it! Had a guy drive my car the other day and before he got out of the parking lot commented on how much torquier mine was over all the others he drove. Sct tuner and mid pipe and cat back, my fab combo is Mac pro chamber and Mac cat back. Not to loud bit loud enough. But I have a vert with little kids last thing I want is them holding their ears the whole ride.

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

you should get a stall converter too, thatd make a pretty good difference at the track with gears, and some radials or slicks
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT