convertible rear window - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-07-2012, 04:41 AM   #1

Region: New York
convertible rear window

My convertible rear window leaks and has leaked since I've had my car. I know where the vinal is ripped and I put vinal glue to seal it off but the water is still coming through when it rains. Does anyone have any suggestions rather that buying an entire new window which would be a hassle to put in.
chrissystangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Lol I have a 99 cobra vert and everytime it rains water fills up back there right now it don't bother me much but you will get mold inside your car I shouldn't think you should replace window I wouldn't worry about it unless it was getting in the seats just tape it off for now IMO
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Ughhh I have the same problem, I wake up in the morning and my car smells mildewey, I'm worried just the moisture in the car itself is gonna ruin the leather or start to crack the vinyl dashboard and what not, my interior was next to perfect when I purchased the car and I don't want it to go down hill on me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #4

Yeah it just fills up the back sometimes. I have a towel back there which helps but I have to change it every time it rains. I just don't want to get mold or have the water drop on my amps which are right under it. The window on American muscle is like 180 but if I can fix it another way I would rather do that. Should've gotten a coupe lol.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissystangGT
Yeah it just fills up the back sometimes. I have a towel back there which helps but I have to change it every time it rains. I just don't want to get mold or have the water drop on my amps which are right under it. The window on American muscle is like 180 but if I can fix it another way I would rather do that. Should've gotten a coupe lol.
Watch out man, cuz it did leak down to my amps and ruin them, been driving for 2 months now with just tweeters and it sucks super hard. I was pissed at first too that I didn't get a coupe when it started leaking, but I don't use the ac cuz it seems to rob so much power from these cars, so I throw the top down and I'm good to go and still have all my power, i used to have a 99 6er coupe and it was impossible to drive without ac in summer.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Mine leaks too, I pull it under my car port when it rains or put a towel down so it soaks the water up. That's just part of having a vert
Ryan7racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Re: convertible rear window

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissystangGT View Post
chrissystangGT,

If you've already tried vinyl glue, I don't know of any other way to fix it besides replacing the unit. I know that's something really annoying to pay for, but it's worth it in my opinion. Mold will grow and spread in your interior with a nasty scent. Also, sometimes mold can be a real pain to get rid of.

I used to store my Mustang in a storage facility garage. Some how water vapor was getting inside, I wasn't really sure where from since I never drove it in the rain (Mickey Thompsons all the time). Although, it probably was from the weather stripping on the window, I never fixed it and kept getting excessive mold.

Again, I definitely suggest replacing the whole unit. Mold is just not worth the hassle, IMO. Let me know if there's anything I can help with!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Same thing happened to my stang and I had a guy replace the whole back window for $300
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #9

Thanks guys. There's a stitching shop around the corner from my house. They do boat covers and vinyl stitching so maybe they could stitch where it's leaking.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
My top was neglected by its previous owners... it leaked then the glue pulled apart at the window. On a hot day last summer the glass fell in and broke as I was putting the top down. I now have a new cobra spec top (rpc twillfast) to go on my gt.
2000steeda029 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT