Rotating type sound shifting from 1-2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Rotating type sound shifting from 1-2

sooo this is a kind of weird sound, its really hard to describe but ill do my best. When im at a dead stop and i take off in first, i hit 3k rpm, i push in my clutch and shift to 2nd, now this noise is ONLY when i push in the clutch, as soon as i put it into 2nd it goes away. This noise is like a spinning/rotating sound, like something is spinning and i can hear it almost everytime i shift, sometimes i do not but usually i do. Does this have to do with how im shifting? not smooth enough? clutch down to fast/too slow? im about 5-6 months into learning stick, i feel like i have most of it down but still have some troubles at times. Thanks Guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger
sooo this is a kind of weird sound, its really hard to describe but ill do my best. When im at a dead stop and i take off in first, i hit 3k rpm, i push in my clutch and shift to 2nd, now this noise is ONLY when i push in the clutch, as soon as i put it into 2nd it goes away. This noise is like a spinning/rotating sound, like something is spinning and i can hear it almost everytime i shift, sometimes i do not but usually i do. Does this have to do with how im shifting? not smooth enough? clutch down to fast/too slow? im about 5-6 months into learning stick, i feel like i have most of it down but still have some troubles at times. Thanks Guys.
could be your throw out bearing spinning which means it needs replaced and i only know that because last night my dads stang (1999 35th anniversery gt conv) i know its not the same year but still problably your throw out bearing..... does it happen when you press in the clutch
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96

could be your throw out bearing spinning which means it needs replaced and i only know that because last night my dads stang (1999 35th anniversery gt conv) i know its not the same year but still problably your throw out bearing..... does it happen when you press in the clutch
Yes it most likely is the TOB, I don't want to pay for just a TOB replacement without changing the clutch as well, my clutch is new but I did learn to drive stick with it, any damage to the tranny or anything if I hold out replacing it for a while ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

i dont know maybe and a very annoying noise... we got my dads fixed and today after football practice he decided to race a truck and he dumped the clutch and we were gone the truck got him off the line because of the gears but we got infront but anyway i strongly recommend getting it changed because im only 15 and i dont know if it will tear up the tranny or not but i do know its very annoying so yep get it fixxed as soon as possible
Old 09-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I think I'm gonna call up ford and get a price to replace my TOB,I know I should replace the clutch as well since the tranny is gonna be down but I really don't have the money for that at the moment and the clutch seems to still function like its new..what you think I can expect for a TOB replacement from ford?
Old 09-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger
I think I'm gonna call up ford and get a price to replace my TOB,I know I should replace the clutch as well since the tranny is gonna be down but I really don't have the money for that at the moment and the clutch seems to still function like its new..what you think I can expect for a TOB replacement from ford?
we got it replaced by a friend of my dads who is a mechanic and it still cost 400$ i would exspect at least 450-475 and thats minumum because ford costs a bunch just for labor
Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Does it make any noise when you are just sitting idling in neutral? It makes it easier to hear noises if you get in the garage or beside a wall or building. The sound will bounce off the walls and you'll be able to hear it better. If it makes kinda of a jingly sound, but goes away when you push the clutch all the way in, that's the TOB. They also can make a high pitched rotating squeal sound too. Sometimes they can squeal in certain positions as you push the clutch in. YouTube is a good place to checkout some TOB noises.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT