Need help with idle and rpm problems. Car hardly able to be driven - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #1

Region: Louisiana
Need help with idle and rpm problems. Car hardly able to be driven

Before I get started, I'm not some car genious so I will attempt to list as much significant detail as possible. I have an 01 GT that has been driving perfectly fine. Well I dropped it off at an auto body shop to get some touch ups done (I live in a small town so it was some huge body shop, just a man working out of a shop garage). Well when I picked it up I heard a little clank noise and it sounded like one of the combs in my catalytic converter (as stated by a couple people) so I went on with myself. (Not sure if needless info but I want to be sure to cover everything thats gone on between now and then). I got my car back 2 days ago. Today after running some errands, on my last stop, I started the car and the rpms dropped into the 200s and fluxed between 200 - 500. This was all of a sudden, and it was perfectly fine when I pulled up to the place I was at. After a couple seconds the idle became a little stable stopping around 400, which is not normal at all for my car. I attempted to drive it a ways, and every time I would mash the clutch to shift the rpm would easily go from 2k+ to 100-200. Also when driving, it seemed like I had less pickup (was not giving it much gas so I couldn't really compare to the normal, but it did seem to not want to go as much). The sound of it seemed to be different too, normally it would be fairly loud at 1.9k rmp, well the normal sound now seem to sit around 1.6k - 1.7k rpm.
Overall 1. Very low idle
2. Sudden drops in idle when shifting or in neutral and given a rev
3. Less go
Any help would be so much appreciated
01Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: Need help with idle and rpm problems. Car hardly able to be driven

Ok did you have any body work or just painting done ??Have you been to a oil change place recently??Do you have a engine light come on ??
Old 09-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
Ok did you have any body work or just painting done ??Have you been to a oil change place recently??Do you have a engine light come on ??
Just the bumper sand and painted. Changed the oil 4 days ago. No engine light or any others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Get back under the hood, obviously. Check vacuum lines, especially to the throttle body (TB). I'd be specific but I am a bit past stock. Sounds like your IAT, also known as AIS-automatic idle sensor,-used to control idle when engine is no engaged (somebody help with IAT terminology) is clogged (dirty). Bolts to the side of your TB. Overall, I encourage you to dismantle your TB, and clean it. Be careful with gaskets. If you royally screw up a gasket RTV the messed up one with RTV, using finesse of course. this only solves the idle problem of course. Loss of power during driving range could be a mechanical issue like a worn clutch, loss of compression, more...

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Correction, my post is not a solution only a dresses the stated problem. Good luck, keep us posted on your progress. Welcome BTW.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #5

Okay so drained the gas and refilled with a different brand, it sat over night, and so far I'm not experiencing any of the symptoms. Keeping fingers crossed!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

The reason i mention the oil change place,,they are notorious about checking the air filter and leaving things loose or unplugged..For the heck of it look closely at the air filter box and all the connections,,but maybe you got it with the gas,,but if it acts up again check see if there is any codes,,you can have codes without a check engine light
Old 09-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Smoke
Okay so drained the gas and refilled with a different brand, it sat over night, and so far I'm not experiencing any of the symptoms. Keeping fingers crossed!
Yay!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT