New brakes and pinion seal? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
New brakes and pinion seal?

Am Changeing my brake rotors and pads all the way around. I like to use orielys auto for my parts. According to them the oem pads were ceramic on back and semi metallic on front. He said semi metallic has better stopping ability compared to ceramic. Should I stick with those up front or how would ceramic be? Also I need to replace my pinion seal, they have one for 5.00 and one for 22.00. What could be the difference?
Cdbformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdbformula
Am Changeing my brake rotors and pads all the way around. I like to use orielys auto for my parts. According to them the oem pads were ceramic on back and semi metallic on front. He said semi metallic has better stopping ability compared to ceramic. Should I stick with those up front or how would ceramic be? Also I need to replace my pinion seal, they have one for 5.00 and one for 22.00. What could be the difference?
I normally go OEM on brake pads and rotors-from the dealer. I don't always associate quality with cost, but I have never taken a short cut when it comes to braking or anything else that is vital to the car or to me possibly causing harm/hurt and staying alive. I hope I'm not reading your thread wrong.
02 360R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have always used orielys auto for my parts I find they have good quality. And the oem semimetalic pads are cheaper than the ceramic for the front. I guess my question is will I lose alot of stopping power if I went with ceramic up front?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
IMO the ceramics are better except when cold. They last longer and can take more abuse and they don't make as much brake dust. I don't think you will lose stopping power by going ceramic.
02 360R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Assuming you have the stock non slotted rotors, the oem bimetallic and ceramic setup is absolutely the best. The reason is that the ceramic stops slightly better than bimetalic and will wear out slightly more, but the bimetalics in the rear are a little smaller so together they should last about the same. Also, most of your stopping power comes from the front. Not only because of the weight of the engine but because the weight of the car will shift forward. Now if your rear brakes had too much stopping power, you could end up skidding the rear well before the front in a hard breaking situation.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT