Brake pad change from hell - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Brake pad change from hell

Tied replacing my brake pads today and into turned into a nightmare, can't get the new pads into the caliper, it's like there a lil to big or I just am not doing right idk it's pissig me off. I have the rear caliper piston tool and have the piston compressed all the way but the clips that hold the brake pads in seem too big or something and I get one pad in and the other won't fit. I'm soooo frustrated at how stupidly hard this is. Sorry for the rant but can anyone explain how to do it correctly or what I'm doing wrong or any tricks to putting new pads on please!!
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #2

Region: Canada
Re: Brake pad change from hell

clean off the caliper with a wire brush where the clips slide in.
double check the part number with the parts place.
8111870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
either the piston is not pushed all the way back in. or the thingamabobbers that the bolts screw into. they should be able to float in or out. sometimes they freeze up. i have had luck with spraying them with penetrating oil and clamping them. if this is the problem and you dont free them up, you will unevenly wear your pads.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
either the piston is not pushed all the way back in. or the thingamabobbers that the bolts screw into. they should be able to float in or out. sometimes they freeze up. i have had luck with spraying them with penetrating oil and clamping them. if this is the problem and you dont free them up, you will unevenly wear your pads.
The guide pins? Yeah if that's the case I might have to get a new caliper, I really don't want to to be that but I matched the new pads up with the old ones and there the same size and all
Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
Lol "thingamabobbers"

Ok did you open the brake fluid cap under the hood. Sometime when you depress a caliper piston pressure in the line will push it back just enough. Open that cap it might help to keep the piston from resetting.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

here OP i just did a write up a few minutes ago because i swapped my rear pads.

Rear Brake Pad Install Write-up

your first time can be a little tough but take a deep breath and lets go at it again. Are you lubing up all the parts of the pad that makes contact with the caliper bracket? also go in at an angle to sometimes get the pads to start..then press in. a small hammer or mallet can help here to get them initially in place. Hope the write up helps a bit

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09

Lol "thingamabobbers"

Ok did you open the brake fluid cap under the hood. Sometime when you depress a caliper piston pressure in the line will push it back just enough. Open that cap it might help to keep the piston from resetting.
+1 on opening the brake fluid cap. The pressure has to have somewhere to go otherwise you will not be able to make it work,
03 Dark Shadow Grey GT: 03 Cobra Brake Upgrade, H&R Super Sport Springs, Magnaflow Magnapack Catback, Anthracite FR500s with Continental ExtremeContact DW tires all around, Steeda Tri-ax, Maximum Motorsports Full Length Subframe Connectors, plus much more...
Slow03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ha I feel like an idiot I got it to work. Have to have the slide part bolted on to the wheel hub and them slide pads in, then put caliper on and bolt guide pins in and shabang done lol

---------- Post added at 02:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
here OP i just did a write up a few minutes ago because i swapped my rear pads.

Rear Brake Pad Install Write-up

your first time can be a little tough but take a deep breath and lets go at it again. Are you lubing up all the parts of the pad that makes contact with the caliper bracket? also go in at an angle to sometimes get the pads to start..then press in. a small hammer or mallet can help here to get them initially in place. Hope the write up helps a bit
Good write up also it helped
Old 09-19-2012, 03:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

I remember my first brake pad change... I'm used to old chevys and old fords where it's super easy(30 minute job tops) and my '02 GT stumped me for a good 20 mins when I was trying to get the new pads in. Lol; overall probably took me 1.5 hours to do front and back. If I were to do it again it wouldn't take as long... It's just a trial-and-error thing.

Kinda like when I was painting my car; getting all of the exterior parts off the first few times was a nightmare.. But after the fifth time putting it back together and taking it apart I could tear the whole car down in like 10 minutes. Lol

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My front pads were easy...

Back ones were a pain ..
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT