96 gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #1

Region: Texas
96 gt

OK so I just got this 96 mustang Gt and of course the check engine light came on went to autozone said 02 sensor. So question is cost and damage. How much to fix and how much damage will happen cause I have to drive it for about a week or two before I can fix I. Thanks guys I am new to all this.
shamelesscobra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Re: 96 gt

Welcome to the forum.

The 02 codes that are coming up are basically generic in nature. Probably 80% of the time it's not actually the 02 sensor? It's just saying that by the time the airflow reached the 02 sensor it failed the normal parameter settings.

So, you could have a dirty MAF sensor, a bad/dirty air filter, a vacuum leak and the list goes on and on.

If you're a replacement mechanic and not a trouble shoot mechanic a code like this could cost you countless $$$$$$$$

So, the best thing to do is find a good mechanic, if you're not one? I'm not sure of your mechanical skills? That's why I say that. If you are a good mech? You will not to start digging into it.

I had the same code on my 06 GT about 4 months ago and after trouble shooting it for almost two weeks. I had a bad air filter.

I hope you have luck finding the problem.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #3

Cool that helps some, I'm a chef no mechanic but I got a good one that's gonna look at it on Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Also if you have any mods like a cold air intake and aftermarket exhaust, it can cause your "downstreem" sensors, that's the ones after your catalytic converters.
Let me rewind a bit...you have 4 O2 sensors. Two on each exhaust pipe. One before the catalytic converter (cat for short) which which measures oxigen levels in your exhaust to help ur cars computer decide how much fuel to use. The other is after ur cat and measures how well you cat is working. If you have high flow cats you may permenantly have a check engine light (mil) untill you get mil illiminators. The ones you must have replaced are the upstreem sensors. Code reader will say O2 sensor bank 1 or 2, sensor 1 or 2. bank is left or right, sensor 1 is upstreem, sensor 2 is downstreem. Many times something as simple as a dirty filter or MAF sensor or even bad gas will cause those codes
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #5

Have magnaflow exhaust on it, not to sure if that's it. Gonna have my mechanic check it out hope its nothing
Old 09-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

If its just the m/f mufflers then that's not it. If u have paper air filter check that. I highly recomend getting a cold air intake, #1 best mod right there and fits nicely into a chefs budget. Go to autozone and get MAF cleaner to clean your MAF. Both are good things to do weather it clears the light or not.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #7

Sorry what is MAF. Like I said NO MECHANICAL skill best I can do is oil change and swap a radiator. Thanks for all the help too.

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Also on cold air intake are they all the same or..... seen then from $50-$500
Old 09-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

MAF sensor is Mass Air Flow sensor. No technical skills needed for these things, instructions are easy. A haynes manual from autozone would help with other remedial tasks (and hard ones). I haven't really studied cold air intakes (c.a.i.) id probably just go with k&n.
Id like to see you avoid the slimy mechanic if possible.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #9

Thanks I will look into it and get the book. Only mechanic I use has been my guy for about 10 years and usually only charges me parts and Max $100 labor. Had a 00 neon he put all 3 motor mounts on for $50. I trust him verymuch he tells me the truth even when I don't want to hear it.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I have no cats and im having this same problem... i ordered the mil indicators
sam minnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamelesscobra4
Thanks I will look into it and get the book. Only mechanic I use has been my guy for about 10 years and usually only charges me parts and Max $100 labor. Had a 00 neon he put all 3 motor mounts on for $50. I trust him verymuch he tells me the truth even when I don't want to hear it.
Good! I know there ARE good ones out there.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #12

What is a mil indicator? How much was it.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The mill indicator is something that plugs into the o2 sensor then to your factory wires and it does something like block the signal from that o2 sensor and it is suppose to keep the check engine light from coming on.. im sure there is a more technical explanation but that what i got from reading about them...

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Oh and it was 69 bucks i got it through cj pony parts in pa.. they have everything mustang
Old 09-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #14

Thank you gonna check em out and do some research
Old 09-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Mil iliminators. u don't need them yet.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Even if it fixes mine to get it inspected
Old 09-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam minnick
Even if it fixes mine to get it inspected
YOU have no cats, you need mil iliminators

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT