Spun a rod bearing :(...need ideas - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #1

Region: California
Spun a rod bearing :(...need ideas

So basically i spun a rob bearing,which sucks, and i need some suggestions on what to do next...I have a set of PI heads sitting in the garage that ima install when either i rebuild this block or get a used one.these are pretty much my options (unless someone has something else in mind or my car gets stolen lol)
*rebuild block (replace crank only if necessary)
*buy used block 96-2004 gt(if i do buy a used block should i get 96-98 and run higher compression or 99-04 and run basically a stock pi motor
incase your wondering im doing all the labor so rebuilding block will only cost parts and shipping.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Get a 5.4 for the price of a 4.6 you could have a 5.4 and in the local junkyards you can find 5.4 that are cheaper than mustang 4.6s

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Stockish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #3

Re: Spun a rod bearing :(...need ideas

i havent looked in to that but im pretty sure that some custome work might have to be done and i dont think the hoods gonna close

Old 09-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Nothing really custom about it just the intake adapters. I have seen a couple 5.4 swaps and they clear the hood fine the only thing I have seen is they have to remove the hood liner.

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Stockish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #5

From what ive been reading ima need the ecu harness and a different hood.my stock hood wont clear it its a few inches too tall,ima just stick to the 4.6 since im on a budget built
Old 09-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #6

alright so ive decided to go ahead and the rip the block out and check for any major damages like cylinder wall and crank if all that is ok ima just go ahead and rebuild this block it only has like 100k on it...if any1 has had a spun rod bearing before what kinda damage am i looking at???
Old 09-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I you that rebuilding your old block gets to expensive I would call these guys for a used engine assembly. This is a cost effective route.
http://www.mpsautosalvage.com/
Mzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #8

thats a great site ive never heard of it b4....ima look around and c if i can find a rebuild kit below 950..cause they have a used 98 gt motor for about that price...thnx for the info
Old 09-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I was gonna rebuild the engine in my 2000 GT, but I came across a used short block for 500 bucks. I just threw my heads on it and slapped it back in the car. Just an FYI, if you do a PI swap on a Non PI block and raise the compression; you may have to run high octane gas. I've heard people say they never had a problem with 87, but a buddy of mine did it and unless he had 93 it would ping like crazy. Even with the 93 sometimes it would ping pending on the quality of gas. Food for thought. And good luck!

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT