CEL on and I Smell GAS!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #1

Region: Tennessee
CEL on and I Smell GAS!!

To anyone that can help.

I have a 96 mustang gt and the check engine light has kicked on. I went to get a diagnostic test done today on it and these are the codes that I got (P0303, P1443, P0171). I have no clue where to start. I have also been smelling fuel while I'm driving so I'm guessing that I have a leak some where by the engine. I have recently replaced the spark plugs but not the wires because they are still good, and the fuel pump. My car does not accelerate like it once did and it also idles very weird, especially when I'm blowing the AC. I have no idea where to start so any suggestions will help. I apologize for all of the typing but I'm trying to be as detailed as possible. Thanx for all the help, I really appreciate it.
jerome0420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I would start by checking the gasket where the fuel pump was changed. Then check fuel filter and lines.. Hope that helps.
Redlineroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #3

Region: Kentucky
I had this problem. Thought it was by the engine but it ended up being the fuel tank itself. Took it to the shop an found the tank was basically rotted out where the pieces connected. We tried picking up a new tank out of a junk yard mustang but most of them had the same problems so it seems to be fairly common. Changed the tank out with a new one an reset everything an the check engine light went off an gas mileage definitely improved! Lol
GT_Girl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 03:32 AM   #4

Region: Oklahoma
I am having the same problem now , took the car to the ford house and had it hooked up to there machine , apparently there's a valve on the fuel tank that went bad was gonna charge the hell out if me to fix it , so I said nevermind I'll do , told me it was really no big deal unless I started smelling fuel
electrichead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
p0303- cylinder 3 misfire
p1443- evap canister or purge valve or relay
p0171- fuel inj sys too lean bank 1

can you get under car safely? follow fuel line starting at tank, to filter, then up towards motor and look for physical leaks?

i dont know what/how to check evap canister, but whenever i want to do something, i google and then youtube to see if there's any info out there about it.

do you have an obd scanner, or autozone/advance place nearby... if you can, maybe clear the codes, run again till light appears, and re-read to make sure this is all you are getting. let me know if need more help-
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT