Forged internals - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Forged internals

I'm looking to eventually put on a KB, but I know I'll need a stronger bottom end. So for those of you who have done this, what's a good way to go as far as forged internals? I know I'll need to bore over a little, but not a lot of the specifics. Not looking to run a whole lot of boost, maybe 9psi or so
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
You really don't need them for anything under 10psi usually.
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor98gt
You really don't need them for anything under 10psi usually.
Really? Well that would save a lot of money lol, I just wanna make sure everything is strong enough to hold up good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus

Really? Well that would save a lot of money lol, I just wanna make sure everything is strong enough to hold up good
If you blow it with boost then worry about building IMO. Just as long your not shooting 15 psi to it then it should.hold a while.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you blow it with boost then worry about building IMO. Just as long your not shooting 15 psi to it then it should.hold a while.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Forged internals

if you are going to push enough PSI to need forged bottom end consider an 03/04 cobra vs droping that kind of cash on a new motor and blower setup~ or at least an 03/04 cobra if you want below 600rwhp. If you want more than 600-650rwhp then build what ever you go with really good so you could do the 2v and boost the crap out of it, just not sure what the power levels are and how much a motor built to hold that would cost.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

What size KB would could I run with a stock bottom end without having to worry about anything?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Old 09-22-2012, 12:00 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Anything else I need not in the kit? Injectors, fuel rails, etc? Or does it pretty much provide everything?
Old 09-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Re: Forged internals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
if you are going to push enough PSI to need forged bottom end consider an 03/04 cobra vs droping that kind of cash on a new motor and blower setup~ or at least an 03/04 cobra if you want below 600rwhp. If you want more than 600-650rwhp then build what ever you go with really good so you could do the 2v and boost the crap out of it, just not sure what the power levels are and how much a motor built to hold that would cost.
"that kind of cash" The last in shape low mileage 03/04 cobra I saw was 20K.
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Exclamation Re: Forged internals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
I'm looking to eventually put on a KB, but I know I'll need a stronger bottom end. So for those of you who have done this, what's a good way to go as far as forged internals? I know I'll need to bore over a little, but not a lot of the specifics. Not looking to run a whole lot of boost, maybe 9psi or so
You can get a procharger kit with 10psi w/Air to Air 3 core intercooler and be fine. Get a cam set and a tune and your golden. If you do your own work you can save big.

If your looking for a rebuild kit that is a good price with everything including forged pistons then check out.

Sealed Power CSMHP796-000

A set of good forged rods and there you go a good kit for a great price. Do the work yourself and save. but a stock bottom will do you good with 10psi as long as you pay your mind to the tune. That is your heel.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad

You can get a procharger kit with 10psi w/Air to Air 3 core intercooler and be fine. Get a cam set and a tune and your golden. If you do your own work you can save big.

If your looking for a rebuild kit that is a good price with everything including forged pistons then check out.

Sealed Power CSMHP796-000

A set of good forged rods and there you go a good kit for a great price. Do the work yourself and save. but a stock bottom will do you good with 10psi as long as you pay your mind to the tune. That is your heel.
Thanks, that's good info. Would I get as much low end gain from a procharger as the KB? I know with most centrifugals you kind of have to spool it up a bit to get to your boost, whereas the twin screw runs a little more evenly.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks, that's good info. Would I get as much low end gain from a procharger as the KB? I know with most centrifugals you kind of have to spool it up a bit to get to your boost, whereas the twin screw runs a little more evenly.
Grab a D series procharger. Twin screws curve also flattens out. Its just my prefference. Overall control and installation is a plus with the procharger.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

How big of a price difference would I be looking at?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
How big of a price difference would I be looking at?
Procharger Kits

ProCharger High Output Intercooled Supercharger System (99-04 GT)

Procharger Supercharger Kits at Andy's Auto Sport
Old 09-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I read mine was supposely good up to 11 psi,,but if i had the money i prob would have forge components,,But the kit i want is 7000 dollars,from ford racing..but it comes with everything pretty much,,I dont know a whole lot about super chargers but im learning alot from here and the internet,,But also all engines are not alike,,some can handle alot some cant
Old 09-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I have a P1SC Procharger setup with 3 core cooler and it builds boost as soon as you step on the gas. It doesn't spool like a turbo. I am running 9lbs of boost with stock bottom and it put down 417hp and 427tq.
99stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99stalker
I have a P1SC Procharger setup with 3 core cooler and it builds boost as soon as you step on the gas. It doesn't spool like a turbo. I am running 9lbs of boost with stock bottom and it put down 417hp and 427tq.
What's all your mods.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

75mm throttle body, 80mm pro mass air flow meter, c&l plenum, 42lb injectors, BBK long tubes, BBK offroad x, Borla exhaust, 3.73 gears, and Andersen power pipe. That's just for performance stuff but the list keeps going for the rest. I also had the car custom tuned.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Any idea on quarter mile times?

Nice ride!
Old 09-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! No I don't. Never been to track with it. Would like to though.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Would it be better to buy another 4.6 motor and build it? 162k miles is a good bit and I know a blower can shorten an engines life by a good bit. My car also wouldn't be out of commission during the build and it would probably be a lot more reliable. Thoughts?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Would it be better to buy another 4.6 motor and build it? 162k miles is a good bit and I know a blower can shorten an engines life by a good bit. My car also wouldn't be out of commission during the build and it would probably be a lot more reliable. Thoughts?
Well that way you still have something to run. And that way you can take the time needed without rush. But 162k isn't a lot but for a blower it maybe be much if taken out of control.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well that way you still have something to run. And that way you can take the time needed without rush. But 162k isn't a lot but for a blower it maybe be much if taken out of control.
Would it be cheaper to go 2v and do forged internals and FI or 4v (paying for fitting materials like a new driveshaft etc.) and FI? I know the 4v would make more power, but cost is an important factor as well.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Would it be cheaper to go 2v and do forged internals and FI or 4v (paying for fitting materials like a new driveshaft etc.) and FI? I know the 4v would make more power, but cost is an important factor as well.
Well I'm not gonna sugar coat it. A 4v setup will cost more up front but the overall potential is greater. There are no fitting materals. It is a drop in engine and no drivetrain mods needed. Cams are doubled in price as well as paying at the pump(premium over reg). So its all about time and budget. If you want to save you can or you can build and collect over time. My thing is this everyone always says supercharge your 2v and such which is a great way to go. But for me my 4v build was for self. It did cost a deal more and I won't be able to FI it for a bit but the pride I have is worth more and I have much more fun. The build is straight forward for the 4v the same as 2v. If you need pointers just give a yell.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well I'm not gonna sugar coat it. A 4v setup will cost more up front but the overall potential is greater. There are no fitting materals. It is a drop in engine and no drivetrain mods needed. Cams are doubled in price as well as paying at the pump(premium over reg). So its all about time and budget. If you want to save you can or you can build and collect over time. My thing is this everyone always says supercharge your 2v and such which is a great way to go. But for me my 4v build was for self. It did cost a deal more and I won't be able to FI it for a bit but the pride I have is worth more and I have much more fun. The build is straight forward for the 4v the same as 2v. If you need pointers just give a yell.
I'll definitely be getting back to you once I have the funds to actually get started. Just like to do my homework before I jump into anything.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'll definitely be getting back to you once I have the funds to actually get started. Just like to do my homework before I jump into anything.
Well I would say hit up modmax for parts. They have decent prices and good parts. Any questions about parts or anything just ask. I'm not a "what's hot" in the magazine guy, or anything so I'm pretty striaght forward things. Lol just give a shout.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT