cobra engine or build the 2v - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
cobra engine or build the 2v

Hey guys... gonna have some money soon and can't decide whether I want to build my 2v or swap if out for a s/c cobra 4v and trans. My trans has a bad syncro in first so its gonna need rebuilt and the engine has 95000 on it. What kinda prices am I lookin at either way? Anybody know a place that will build a trans and motor in so cal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Re: cobra engine or build the 2v

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearGT View Post
Hey guys... gonna have some money soon and can't decide whether I want to build my 2v or swap if out for a s/c cobra 4v and trans. My trans has a bad syncro in first so its gonna need rebuilt and the engine has 95000 on it. What kinda prices am I lookin at either way? Anybody know a place that will build a trans and motor in so cal?
Well a complete 03/04 engine trans will cost you a hefty price, but not only that you have to get the trans mounts, throttle/cruise cables, coolant container for SC, etc. There is a list of parts that you will need for that setup. If you do the work and have the know how then a 3650 rebuild kit is about 400.00. You could do a Mark swap with a stroker kit. You could stroke the 2v and add some cams. Depends on what some money means? If you want a 4v then you could find a manual Mach 1 motor and or N/A cobra motor for a decent price and procharge it. Options are as endless as the budget. But btw 95k is nothing on todays motors. I could tear that down and show you the factory bore marks. So it depends on budget and overall performance needs.
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad

Well a complete 03/04 engine trans will cost you a hefty price, but not only that you have to get the trans mounts, throttle/cruise cables, coolant container for SC, etc. There is a list of parts that you will need for that setup. If you do the work and have the know how then a 3650 rebuild kit is about 400.00. You could do a Mark swap with a stroker kit. You could stroke the 2v and add some cams. Depends on what some money means? If you want a 4v then you could find a manual Mach 1 motor and or N/A cobra motor for a decent price and procharge it. Options are as endless as the budget. But btw 95k is nothing on todays motors. I could tear that down and show you the factory bore marks. So it depends on budget and overall performance needs.
Thanks!! Where do I get the kit to rebuild my Tranny?!? Gotta get it done soon so I can so I cam build the car when I get back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad

How does that work with the 2v Ecu where would you get the computer for the 4v I've heard that they are hard to find and people have problems with that conversion
Cantlin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearGT

Thanks!! Where do I get the kit to rebuild my Tranny?!? Gotta get it done soon so I can so I cam build the car when I get back!
http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/pr...3cPath=110_125

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantlin01

How does that work with the 2v Ecu where would you get the computer for the 4v I've heard that they are hard to find and people have problems with that conversion
Check out my signature for a downloadable how to on swapping a mark engine into a 2v new edge
Old 09-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Link the the 2v to 4v swap is right here...

2v to 4v New Edge Swap writeup
Old 09-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantlin01 View Post
I had to flash tune it. I used a SCT xcal 2. VMP Tuning did my tune.You can source a ECM from a Mach 1, but you would need to have the PATS turned off I believe. Also unless you get an engine harness you would will need to turn off the Knock sensors if possible.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Now the GT ECM does run the 4v with no huge issues. If you use 24lbs injectors with MAF then you will burn fuel like no tomorrow. You will have to have it tuned. I have to do another update on the write up about this and some other things that had been brought to my attention.

2002 Mustang GT DOHC swap

The video is of startup after exhaust installed. It is running on the GT ecm.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT