ABS Light - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
ABS Light

I went for a spin today since I haven't been out on the highways in a while. While coming off the feeder road, I opened her up(and she loved every moment, as did I). I had to do some hard breaking, but brief braking due to a semi trying to get in the correct lane to exit. Then the ABS light came on. I still had brakes. I made it home and turned the car off. Checked under the hood. Everything looked fine. Started the car again and no ABS light. Should I be worried? I think I will take it to get checked out. Any suggestions on what caused the light to come on.
02 360R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Re: ABS Light

I meant to say was it your abs or the brake warning?
Old 09-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

If it was just the abs that came on and cycled off after you turned her off and back on? That is normal. The abs light is there to tell you your abs is working and not to freak out if your pedal is pulsing.
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog View Post
I meant to say was it your abs or the brake warning?
it was the abs light. and now that you mentioned it, the brake pedal did feel funny under my foot at the time, but it immediately went back to normal...
Old 09-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

I dont think your light should have stayed on,,that usually means it found a problem,,the reason it went off,,is the memory resets when you cycle the ignition,,if the problem not there anymore when you cycle the switch it will go off,,alot of the older vehicles wont store the code too when you cycle the switch,,but you can have it scanned to be sure
Old 09-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang
I dont think your light should have stayed on,,that usually means it found a problem,,the reason it went off,,is the memory resets when you cycle the ignition,,if the problem not there anymore when you cycle the switch it will go off,,alot of the older vehicles wont store the code too when you cycle the switch,,but you can have it scanned to be sure
Okay. Thanks! I'll get that done ASAP. I don't need anything crazy going on with the brakes.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
I thought Ford says that if the ABS light continuously stays on that you may have a malfunction? Stating that if you turn the vehicle off and go to drive again and the ABS light is still illuminated?

Hey mymustang maybe you can look further into it for him. That's just what I have read and understood from my experience. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog View Post
I thought Ford says that if the ABS light continuously stays on that you may have a malfunction? Stating that if you turn the vehicle off and go to drive again and the ABS light is still illuminated?

Hey mymustang maybe you can look further into it for him. That's just what I have read and understood from my experience. Thanks.
well i dont have any mustangs in my fleet,,and this is the only mustang i owned,,but normally the abs light should never stay on even after a abs stop,,that i know of,,i know the traction light will come on during traction loss but then go out,,im sure someone else here may can confirm that if it does or not
Old 09-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
well i dont have any mustangs in my fleet,,and this is the only mustang i owned,,but normally the abs light should never stay on even after a abs stop,,that i know of,,i know the traction light will come on during traction loss but then go out,,im sure someone else here may can confirm that if it does or not
If trojan comes on here he might be able to know for sure
Old 09-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

After that one instance where I had to brake hard, braking was normal. But the light remained on until I turned the car off.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 360R View Post
After that one instance where I had to brake hard, braking was normal. But the light remained on until I turned the car off.
it sounds like a code,,but it may not have stored it if its not on now,,but i would get it scanned just for the heck of it..
Old 09-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang

it sounds like a code,,but it may not have stored it if its not on now,,but i would get it scanned just for the heck of it..
I plan on getting it checked tomorrow. Hopefully it nothing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

« Tires | Nitto 555R »