Window help!!?!? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Window help!!?!?

Driver side window stuck down and won't go up. Had my car in the shop for an unrelated problem and the mechanic said taking the door panel apart is about an hr long job gunna charge me 108$ plus whatever then is wrong w the door. Can anyone explain how difficult it would b to take the door panel off myself?? Length, tool needed, tips, things to try once the panel is off? Thanks for any and all advice guys
d_1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=dvNk5...%3DdvNk5ZncW_8

I used this video to help me take apart my door to replace the power locks. Just be careful!!!!!!!
chickengeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I can take a door panel off in less than ten minutes. That dude is crazy lol. All you need is a Phillips screwdriver. If you have the Mach 460 stereo then you will have to pop the screen off and there is one screw holding that up. Then pull the grab handle off being careful to not break the tabs. Unscrew the switches. Then there are two screws behind that grab handle. Then pop the door handle cover off and snake it off around the handle. Then you should be able to just lift the panel off and you will find a plastic covering that you can carefully take off. It is held on by adhesive. Then you should be able to see all the guts of the door. Also if you have aftermarket door locks you will have to unscrew them if it won't fit thru the hole.
sally2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally2002
I can take a door panel off in less than ten minutes. That dude is crazy lol. All you need is a Phillips screwdriver. If you have the Mach 460 stereo then you will have to pop the screen off and there is one screw holding that up. Then pull the grab handle off being careful to not break the tabs. Unscrew the switches. Then there are two screws behind that grab handle. Then pop the door handle cover off and snake it off around the handle. Then you should be able to just lift the panel off and you will find a plastic covering that you can carefully take off. It is held on by adhesive. Then you should be able to see all the guts of the door. Also if you have aftermarket door locks you will have to unscrew them if it won't fit thru the hole.
Awesome thanks for the advice. Ya way easier than expected. Just used a Phillips and a flathead to pop it out. Unfortunately I think the switch is gone for my driver side power window and it's stuck down. Any thoughts on what this should cost to fix at a shop?? I'm not very mechanically inclined n electronics def isn't my area of expertise so I think I might have to buck up for this
Old 09-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_1212

Awesome thanks for the advice. Ya way easier than expected. Just used a Phillips and a flathead to pop it out. Unfortunately I think the switch is gone for my driver side power window and it's stuck down. Any thoughts on what this should cost to fix at a shop?? I'm not very mechanically inclined n electronics def isn't my area of expertise so I think I might have to buck up for this
The switch is an easy fix too. just take your flat screwdriver and pry up and it should pop off
Old 09-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The switch will come like this. Use a mini flathead to pry up on it also
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
d_1212 I thought my switch was out right after I got my car. i was upset because i felt the guy should have told me the window was broken. anyway, i got help from some friends on here. first you can remove the driver side switch and plug it in where the passenger side switch goes and if it controls the window, there is nothing wrong with the switch. you can then put the switch back in the driver side spot. while pressing the button to let the window up, bump the door hard in the area where the handle is to close the door. that worked for me. I hope that fixes your problem.
02 360R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Alright thanks I'll give that a try

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT