$3600.00 vortech???? Or alt route? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
$3600.00 vortech???? Or alt route?

Ok guys so I've been saving up and saving up workin at the body shop to buy a vortech supercharger kit for my 04 gt. Well I finally have the money and I want to make sure it isn't a dumb move.
I've been having second thoughts lately wondering the best way to build reliable power.
If you had the 3600 cash how would you go about it?
Unless someone convinces me otherwise I'm just gonna buy the vortech kit from AM throw it on there and get a tune
Also thinking about a nice BoV to go with it like the vortech mini race but I prefer the sound of an hks. Any thoughts on that?? I'm trying to uncover the compatibility issues with hks so far it's not looking good
Please give me some opinions to assure me one way or another and if recommending parts, links to exactly what your talkin bout would be much appreciated

As far as mods on the car go:
78mm bbk throttle body/plenum
O/R x pipe by magnaflow
Borla cat back
Full suspension system upgrade (Eibach)
Sct Flash tuner
Spec stage 2 Kevlar clutch
Aluminum flywheel
Rebuilt trans
CrimsonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
On a different note web u gut your 78mm bbk throttle body did u have noticeable gains?
M97cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah but I also got the tune and o/r xpipe at the same time so hard to say but good god you definitely hear it inhale when you get on it
It even whistles a bit kinda cool sounding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
i would just got nasty stage 2 cam and nitrous kit. be faster in 1/4 and save 1500 bucks
01bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
The vortech kits are nice but you wont get a complete kit off AM for 3600. You can find them used for that price all day.
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
few things to consider:

if the car blows up due to who knows what (it is a possibility) can you afford that, can you handle that or will the car sit there for months or never get fixed.

3600 invested into the car will basically be tossed away, you wont get a return on the investment, perhaps 1/3rd back if you part it out. It wont really increase the value.

That initial investment wont cover it all, the tune is VERY VERY VERY VERY important and the one vortech tosses you to start is horrible. A tune is not cheap so consider that and other upgrades that may be needed that wont come with the kit.

For the money if you sold your car what could you get, would that make you happy or not?

are you ok putting that money into an older car and are you ok with having issues from that and having to deal with them aka how reliable does the car have to be.

are you going to be happy with the power results, should get you 300-350rwhp/tq sounds good but power gets old, always want more.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson
The vortech kits are nice but you wont get a complete kit off AM for 3600. You can find them used for that price all day.
They sell a complete kit for $3679.99 then if can get the 6%discount it will be a lot cheaper.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...er-0004gt.html

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
few things to consider:

if the car blows up due to who knows what (it is a possibility) can you afford that, can you handle that or will the car sit there for months or never get fixed.

3600 invested into the car will basically be tossed away, you wont get a return on the investment, perhaps 1/3rd back if you part it out. It wont really increase the value.

That initial investment wont cover it all, the tune is VERY VERY VERY VERY important and the one vortech tosses you to start is horrible. A tune is not cheap so consider that and other upgrades that may be needed that wont come with the kit.

For the money if you sold your car what could you get, would that make you happy or not?

are you ok putting that money into an older car and are you ok with having issues from that and having to deal with them aka how reliable does the car have to be.

are you going to be happy with the power results, should get you 300-350rwhp/tq sounds good but power gets old, always want more.
I thought all this out too and it made me not want one either. I really want to go the heads and cam route!
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Summit is cheaper.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

This mod is something I've wanted to do since I got the car 5 years ago. I have a backup car but this one always gets fixed ASAP no matter the cost. It's not like I just woke up one day and said go go supercharger I've thought about it alot

Just been thinking cams would probably get me more power lately but honestly I'm pretty intimidated by the cam install. always have been.
I have done every maintenance and upgrade to my car myself over the past 4 years except trans rebuild cause that was the other intimidating area

My car is a rebuilt title so I don't ever plan on selling it cause she ain't worth on paper what she is worth to me. Id just fix her or swap a new motor in her I'm going to run the wheels off her.
The tune will be a dyno tune down at my local dyno shop Fastech I have friends there that I trust I never planned on using the one from vortech

I hope I'm not coming across defensive or arrogant these are reasons I started this thread to get input, but do know I am not going at this blind or uneducated just making sure I'm not doing something stupid

My entire goal is to build reliable power and I figured a conservative 8psi boost would help in that area but if cams are a smarter way to go or some specific bore and piston combo or someone knows of a termi motor for cheap that I haven't found I would love the input 3600 is alot of cash to not get second third or even fourth opinions on before dropping
also might be worth it to save a while longer and get an inter cooled setup but I haven't heard many horror stories on vortech so wasn't sure if that was necessary

Just looking for some extra opinions
And as always thanks for your input
Old 10-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Twin turbo.....or single turbo....just to chime in an idea
Old 10-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang
Twin turbo.....or single turbo....just to chime in an idea
I thought about that it's just sooooo expensive compared to superchargers they want like 7 k for the twin kit
Old 10-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Imo its worth it more power output less stress on a motor compared to a supercharger being belt driven.....or maybe a single should suffice well too in that price range of 3500 or so
Old 10-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
400+rwhp with a vortech and mods

Dont listen to these guys.. About cams or nitrous..

Good investment and will be sick
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I personally think nitrous is cheap way of modding lol. Cams however benefit any fi build so keeping it mind helps to produce more output of any fi system u choose to go for
Old 10-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang
I personally think nitrous is cheap way of modding lol. Cams however benefit any fi build so keeping it mind helps to produce more output of any fi system u choose to go for
Get the Blower first then blower cams
NA cams serve no purpose
And its dumb to get blower cams before
Old 10-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow2V

Get the Blower first then blower cams
NA cams serve no purpose
And its dumb to get blower cams before
Sounds about like my thought process
Old 10-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonGT

Sounds about like my thought process
You Think Smart

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT