Wheel offset question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Wheel offset question

Am thinking that by when winter is over her in utah I will buy some chrome Godspeed wheels. I don't know what the offset means I will be going 18x9 in front with a 275 and a 18x10 rear with a 305. So what offset do I need for the wheels?
RUNNWLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
99-04 Mustang with Solid Rear axle (V6 and GT)

Front: 3 inch frontspacing seems to fit fine, can go a bit around that but about 3 inches works good. The LOWER the car is the more the wheel tucks in due to the geometry of the front suspension FYI. As the car is lowered the A Arm piviot up and inward so the wheel will sit in more. Backspacing I would keep it NO more than 6.1 inches. Even then it may rub the sway bar, 03/04 cobras had this setup and used rack limiters.

Rear: I cant tell you on a Solid Rear Axle, but for an IRS 03/04 cobra front spacing 3.5 works but 3.75 MAY require fenders to be rolled, 4.0 will (do not go more than 4.0, 3.75 looks best to me). For backspacing depends on if you have quad shock but most 10 or 10.5 rims are fine with a frontspacing around 3.5-3.75 inches

offset is the mounting surface location inside the wheel. Think of it like this.

If you have a wheel thats 10 inches wide a zero offset would be that the mounting location is exactly half way of the wheel or 5 inches. If you measured the amount of the rim that is in front and the amount that is behind of the mounting surface they are both 5 inches.

Most measure offset in MM's instead of Inches 25.4mm = 1 inch

Positive vs Negative offset is the ahead/behind the center line of the rim the mounting location is. For mustangs the offset should be so that more of the rim is inside the mounting location than outside.

Backspacing is the amount of the rim behind the mounting surface inside

Frontspacing is the amount of the rim outside in front of the mounting surface

2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Haha I am so so sorry but I do not understand that but thanks for the reply so what would be better offset 24 or 30 for 18x9 and then for 18x10 which offset 40 or 22?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
99-04 Mustang with Solid Rear axle (V6 and GT)

Front: 3 inch frontspacing seems to fit fine, can go a bit around that but about 3 inches works good. The LOWER the car is the more the wheel tucks in due to the geometry of the front suspension FYI. As the car is lowered the A Arm piviot up and inward so the wheel will sit in more. Backspacing I would keep it NO more than 6.1 inches. Even then it may rub the sway bar, 03/04 cobras had this setup and used rack limiters.

Rear: I cant tell you on a Solid Rear Axle, but for an IRS 03/04 cobra front spacing 3.5 works but 3.75 MAY require fenders to be rolled, 4.0 will (do not go more than 4.0, 3.75 looks best to me). For backspacing depends on if you have quad shock but most 10 or 10.5 rims are fine with a frontspacing around 3.5-3.75 inches

offset is the mounting surface location inside the wheel. Think of it like this.

If you have a wheel thats 10 inches wide a zero offset would be that the mounting location is exactly half way of the wheel or 5 inches. If you measured the amount of the rim that is in front and the amount that is behind of the mounting surface they are both 5 inches.

Most measure offset in MM's instead of Inches 25.4mm = 1 inch

Positive vs Negative offset is the ahead/behind the center line of the rim the mounting location is. For mustangs the offset should be so that more of the rim is inside the mounting location than outside.

Backspacing is the amount of the rim behind the mounting surface inside

Frontspacing is the amount of the rim outside in front of the mounting surface

alright spector v i understand that i read it over again. so thank you so much so if i have a 40mm offset that would be way to much my wheels would be tucked really far in right? i also I'm going to go with some centerlines maybe instead of godspeed?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT