supercharger or cobra - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular
 
frank07stanggt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll

I seriously doubt that basic bolt ons will give a 100 HP increase on a motor that has 400 or so.
It does. Watch this. They don't even touch cai and exhaust and get 63 hp.

http://youtu.be/oXeF4kZZ6jg
frank07stanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular
 
imhooked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post
I seriously doubt that basic bolt ons will give a 100 HP increase on a motor that has 400 or so.
kind of what i was thinking too
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular
 
WheelStander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,470
Smoke and mirrors...
__________________
Induction: Kenne Bell | wHp: 515 Tq: 503 | 1/4 Mile:11.09@123
WheelStander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular
 
frank07stanggt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander
Smoke and mirrors...
How's that? Pulleys add boost. Cars from the factory are tuned to run as economical as possible. Tuners maximize settings to get back horsepower. I have a cobra and I can tell you there is a huge difference in the hp from these two mods. Jlt high boost intake put down 10 hp over the regular jlt intake on the dyno. It's true if your n/a you won't see big Gaines but you will with forced induction.
frank07stanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular
 
imhooked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank07stanggt View Post
It does. Watch this. They don't even touch cai and exhaust and get 63 hp.

Horse Power TV - 03/04 Mustang Cobra - YouTube
well that is interesting!
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular
 
WheelStander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,470
Thats a Cobra, dude has a Gt.

Comparing apples to tree bark.
__________________
Induction: Kenne Bell | wHp: 515 Tq: 503 | 1/4 Mile:11.09@123
WheelStander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular
 
frank07stanggt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander
Thats a Cobra, dude has a Gt.

Comparing apples to tree bark.
No he wants to know if he should supercharge or get a cobra. I'm explaining how a cobra can get more power for less money. Read the whole thread.
frank07stanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #43
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
...our 04 gt is $20 more than my 03 cobra vert each month for insurance. You can buy a 03/04 cobra with 450/460 at the wheels for $15-18 k all day long.

Buy the cobra, haven't found a 2v that gives me a good run yet. Hoping to run southern stang when he gets his together.

So basically, buy a cobra and run 11's or waste your money on the gt and run 12's
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular
 
frank07stanggt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
...our 04 gt is $20 more than my 03 cobra vert each month for insurance. You can buy a 03/04 cobra with 450/460 at the wheels for $15-18 k all day long.

Buy the cobra, haven't found a 2v that gives me a good run yet. Hoping to run southern stang when he gets his together.

So basically, buy a cobra and run 11's or waste your money on the gt and run 12's
+1
frank07stanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular
 
WheelStander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,470
You can run mid 11s all day long in Sc Gt.

Check YouTube.
__________________
Induction: Kenne Bell | wHp: 515 Tq: 503 | 1/4 Mile:11.09@123
WheelStander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #46
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander
You can run mid 11s all day long in Sc Gt.

Check YouTube.
...with the right driver and some serious suspension. Cobras do it on street tires and stock suspension
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular
 
WheelStander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,470
For twice as much total cost. That's the point.
__________________
Induction: Kenne Bell | wHp: 515 Tq: 503 | 1/4 Mile:11.09@123
WheelStander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular
 
frank07stanggt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander
You can run mid 11s all day long in Sc Gt.

Check YouTube.
I can also find you a video of a Honda civic beating a viper but that doesn't mean they all can....

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank07stanggt

I can also find you a video of a Honda civic beating a viper but that doesn't mean they all can....
Also factor in the cost of getting a gt to that level. You won't be running 500hp for very long unless you put some serious cash down.
frank07stanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
...our 04 gt is $20 more than my 03 cobra vert each month for insurance. You can buy a 03/04 cobra with 450/460 at the wheels for $15-18 k all day long.

Buy the cobra, haven't found a 2v that gives me a good run yet. Hoping to run southern stang when he gets his together.

So basically, buy a cobra and run 11's or waste your money on the gt and run 12's
Haha, that's for the in side tip on how to beat you with the suspension work lol. Haha, I doubt I will beat you but It won't be a blow out of a loss. Lol
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #50
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00

Haha, that's for the in side tip on how to beat you with the suspension work lol. Haha, I doubt I will beat you but It won't be a blow out of a loss. Lol
Yupp, you're wanting similar times to what I run. Got some new suspension stuff going in this winter
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked View Post
thanks Frank!
already have cold air/tb and plenum, tune,a new cat back sys, and NOW... my latest, a mac pro chamber.

i can tell you from experience, that this does not yield 100 hp. all combined, MAYBE 30-40... the claims all the manufacturers make are really kind of stretched(will give examples if anyone cares). however i will say the improvements altogether, do make the car pull stronger, breathe(and sound) better, and more fun to drive.

50 horse though, i doubt. maybe one day i'll take ride and drop a few bucks on a couple dyno pulls just for's. ttyl-
joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post
I seriously doubt that basic bolt ons will give a 100 HP increase on a motor that has 400 or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander View Post
Smoke and mirrors...
At first it would seem logical that you would not gain that kind of power from basic add on's but as said Forced Induction is a bit different.

I can show you from experience how mine ended up

My car 100 % stock dynoed at 360/360

Intake/Exhaust without tune 400/390

2.93 Pulley/Tune (up boost from 8 to 12/14) 472/493

thats generally what you see on the 03/04 cobras.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular
 
Las0mbra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,104
Just so everybody knows and stops throwing out incorrect facts. I am 18, did an insurance quote through usaa and it was literally $60 a year extra to go from 04 V6 to 04 cobra. No joke. It's way more to do a normal gt... Don't ask me why, but I've heard plenty of other people tell me the same about their insurance companies.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular
 
frank07stanggt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra
Just so everybody knows and stops throwing out incorrect facts. I am 18, did an insurance quote through usaa and it was literally $60 a year extra to go from 04 V6 to 04 cobra. No joke. It's way more to do a normal gt... Don't ask me why, but I've heard plenty of other people tell me the same about their insurance companies.
Insurance has a lot to do with safety features too. I assume upgraded brakes would be a safety feature. My insurance went up when I went from a 2007 gt to the 2004 cobra.

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV

At first it would seem logical that you would not gain that kind of power from basic add on's but as said Forced Induction is a bit different.

I can show you from experience how mine ended up

My car 100 % stock dynoed at 360/360

Intake/Exhaust without tune 400/390

2.93 Pulley/Tune (up boost from 8 to 12/14) 472/493

thats generally what you see on the 03/04 cobras.
+100! Thank you!
frank07stanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #54
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I remember when I bought mine. Called my agent with the vin and he said it popped up with a warning message. Supercharged v8 convertible and I was 22 at the time. System wouldn't allow a quote without verifying I was already a customer.
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular
 
frank07stanggt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
I remember when I bought mine. Called my agent with the vin and he said it popped up with a warning message. Supercharged v8 convertible and I was 22 at the time. System wouldn't allow a quote without verifying I was already a customer.
Lol that's awesome.
frank07stanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
mine went up about 70 every 6 months from an 01 V6 mustang
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular
 
Redlineroller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 78
Mine went down $20 a month.. Lol
Redlineroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular
 
imhooked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 254
thanks for all the input guys! guess it would be logical to look at how my insurance would change first(btw, i'm in my mid-forties), and also see what i could get for my car, and how much a clean low-mileage cobra would run me.

btw, it was stated previously, parts for cobra cost more ??? if true, we talking oe replacements in general, or high performance/aftermarket stuff? i thought i saw (on am. musc., and others' websites) many(but not all) of the parts for gt and cobra were same. just curious.
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular
 
frank07stanggt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked
thanks for all the input guys! guess it would be logical to look at how my insurance would change first(btw, i'm in my mid-forties), and also see what i could get for my car, and how much a clean low-mileage cobra would run me.

btw, it was stated previously, parts for cobra cost more ??? if true, we talking oe replacements in general, or high performance/aftermarket stuff? i thought i saw (on am. musc., and others' websites) many(but not all) of the parts for gt and cobra were same. just curious.
Pulleys aren't much. Maybe around 100 bucks. A cai cost the same as one for a gt as does the tuner. The only thing I have run into so far that is way more is cams. But it's dohc so it makes sense.
frank07stanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular
 
imhooked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank07stanggt View Post
Pulleys aren't much. Maybe around 100 bucks. A cai cost the same as one for a gt as does the tuner. The only thing I have run into so far that is way more is cams. But it's dohc so it makes sense.

yeah like is i said, outside of the irs and the motor itself, many of the add ons i've bought for my gt look like they also fit the cobra's. guess ill do some poking around and see what the 03/04 cobras are going for these days.
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular
 
frank07stanggt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked

yeah like is i said, outside of the irs and the motor itself, many of the add ons i've bought for my gt look like they also fit the cobra's. guess ill do some poking around and see what the 03/04 cobras are going for these days.
Low miles maybe mid 20's. I got mine with 83k for 17
frank07stanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular
 
imhooked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank07stanggt View Post
Low miles maybe mid 20's. I got mine with 83k for 17
yeah, i already see that on listings at cars.com... you weren't worried about the car with 83k being overly abused??
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular
 
frank07stanggt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked

yeah, i already see that on listings at cars.com... you weren't worried about the car with 83k being overly abused??
Not really. I just looked at it real good. I already knew I was going to have to work on some stuff like the exhaust. But over all it was in great shape. Plus I traded my gt that had 95k on it.
frank07stanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular
 
Redlineroller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 78
Mid 20's will get mine!! Lol
Redlineroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular
 
imhooked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank07stanggt View Post
Not really. I just looked at it real good. I already knew I was going to have to work on some stuff like the exhaust. But over all it was in great shape. Plus I traded my gt that had 95k on it.
good deal. like you said, just looking it over (and under!), and making sure drivetrain really seems solid probably all that's needed.
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #66
Registered User
Newbie
 
Justincalero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 4
Get an 03-04 cobra anything below dosnt come supercharged
Justincalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked View Post
thanks for all the input guys! guess it would be logical to look at how my insurance would change first(btw, i'm in my mid-forties), and also see what i could get for my car, and how much a clean low-mileage cobra would run me.

btw, it was stated previously, parts for cobra cost more ??? if true, we talking oe replacements in general, or high performance/aftermarket stuff? i thought i saw (on am. musc., and others' websites) many(but not all) of the parts for gt and cobra were same. just curious.
you can find good cobras in 16-18k ~ but not the best. If you want one thats taken care of it will of course cost more, I would aim for 30-60k mile range so its been driven just enough to not be sitting on blocks all these years and not beat on as a DD.

you interested in a redfire cobra vert .. hmmm lol

most every part on the 03/04 cobra is the same a sthe V6/Gt, just a few differ. Over 6 years of ownership ive yet to have an issue where a part was WAY more because it was cobra specific~
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular
 
imhooked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
you can find good cobras in 16-18k ~ but not the best. If you want one thats taken care of it will of course cost more, I would aim for 30-60k mile range so its been driven just enough to not be sitting on blocks all these years and not beat on as a DD.

you interested in a redfire cobra vert .. hmmm lol

most every part on the 03/04 cobra is the same a sthe V6/Gt, just a few differ. Over 6 years of ownership ive yet to have an issue where a part was WAY more because it was cobra specific~
agreed.
no(but i do like yours)
kind of figured the same.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

oh, and JC... yup, i did know, but thanks for the lookout!
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



04:44 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.