Getting Aftermarket Parts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Mustang GT HO
Getting Aftermarket Parts

Hey guys. I'm new here and I just wanted to ask one question (For now). I just got my own 2004 Mustang GT, Sonic Blue and I LOOOOOOVVVVEEEEEE it. The only downside is that it's automatic, but I don't care. I still wanna make it as fast as possible.

I already planned to get some parts. A tuner, CAI, and full exhaust. Can y'all give me some pointers on what's good or bad and if the ones I picked are acceptable.

For my CAI : BBK CAI
For Exhaust : SLP "Loudmouth" II
Tuner : SF3 Power Flash Handheld Programmer

And that's all for right now. I also have another problem, my parents. They really don't want me to be doing things to my car, so is there a way that I can spin it so that they'll let me get my stuff done???

Much thanks in advance guys!
Mustang GT HO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
Re: Getting Aftermarket Parts

you can eBay your CAI, it won't make much of a difference.
The exhaust... should be ok, but will hold up to the loud part pretty religiously.
Tuner: SCT X3 Power Flash Mustang Tuner - The 3rd Generation SCT XCalibrator Handheld
that's the SCT X3 flash tuner.

The parents... you're just going to have to find a way to deal with. Another mod you may consider which will help you not hate the automatic is a shift kit. Also, you can always think about adding gears (4.10), but then you'll want the tuner so you can change your speedo so it reads correct.

Also, gotta LOVE sonic blue!!!

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Gotta agree with beaner ebay CAI unless you want the BBK for the looks .

SCT Tuner !!!!!!! check the site out VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing
4.10 will wake the auto up
If you want to get the mods passed your parents the load mouth will blow that one for ya

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

yeah it will... You may look into Borla. I LOVE my Borla exhaust, and even better so does my dad. My mom, who always used to ***** about my v-6 (straight pipe) even likes it. Only thing is.. if you get Stinger exhaust, it'll be a lot like the Loudmouth.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 04-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

The spin you need to use is that both the CAI and the tuner will improve your gas mileage. The Loudmouths, just throw that idea out as you can't spin that and they sound like ca ca.

But, the CAI and tuner, just spin it to be to help fuel economy...as both items will be advertised to do so.

Another option is, instead of getting a complete CAI kit, you could just get a drop in K&N filter and remove the rubber part that sticks into your fender and get just about the same gains in your stock form. The spin for that will also be improved gas mileage as well as it is the last filter you will have to buy maintenance wise. But, this is also something you can hide under the guise of routine maintenance without anyone knowing it is a "performance" mod.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

it is worth noting that you'll gain all of 1-3 hp from CAI. The tuner will make a larger difference... 12-15 hp. Gears will not help your mileage, but they will help the seat of the pants dyno. Aside from that... shift kit might help "extend the life of the transmission"...

Old 04-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ya all of these are great ideas and I appreciate all of them. I checked out the Borla exhaust and now I'm really torn between the two, they both sound GREAT! I may do a coin toss or get someone else to decide for me, I'd be happy with either one. With the shift kit can i install it on my own or will I need someone to do it for me? I'm knowledgeable with cars, but very limited tool wise. And I want to add another gear, and I was going to do the tuner last because it says that if you do something with mods you get more of a gain after you do stuff with mods.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

that's true, but you can change the tune with the tuner while you add things. As far as the shift kit.. I haven't had an auto in 2.5 years now, so I'm not 100% sure, but pretty sure most of the kits you'll want to have a tranny shop work on. I have some Borla videos on here if you wanna hear them on an 02 2v 4.6. Adding another gear... not gonna happen without a tranny change. I have stock exhaust with the exception of the Borla mufflers and tips. So that'll give you an idea of what the Borla MUFFLERS sound like... not the stinger "packs".

Here are the exhaust clips:
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t31144/

Old 04-10-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Nice dude I like those so their the ones without the Stinger packs?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:58 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang GT HO View Post
Nice dude I like those so their the ones without the Stinger packs?
yes sir. My v6 had straight pipe, and it drove me nuts. Headaches any time I drove more than 5 miles. The Borlas on the interstate are quiet enough you can hardly hear them. Pretty much all you do hear is a soft purr from the engine. I can talk on the cell phone (I know, bad of me) without problems hearing. That was impossible in the 6er. Another great thing is around 2500 rpm, the engine starts resonating in the mufflers and you get that great sports car sound coming out all the way to redline. It also starts screaming a bit when you got WOT. They're definitely awesome mufflers. I got an amazing deal ($50 for the pair)... they are worth much more than that. I have 4" tips on them also to help the sound get out ... and because I think they look tits

Old 04-10-2008, 09:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah does Borla make a high quality H or X pipe that you would recommend?

I'm new to this, my previous car was a 1994 Buick Regal, pardon my noob questions.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

it's ok, we'll talk about it on AIM

Old 04-10-2008, 10:30 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang GT HO View Post
Yeah does Borla make a high quality H or X pipe that you would recommend?

I'm new to this, my previous car was a 1994 Buick Regal, pardon my noob questions.
Get the UPR X pipe....offroad or catted...doesn't matter. It is cheap (only like 190 for the offroad) and sounds just fine.

Get the borlas...end of story...forget the SLP crap, that's a GM product. Get the borlas or Magnaflow magnapaks. Both are about the same.

I'm running stingers with the UPR....sounds great. Sounds a good bit different than it will with yours being a 2 valve vs my blown 4 valve...but you can't go wrong. SLP is just flat junk...blatty....dronny...junk. Let the GM tards keep it.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to rwboring

Come on guys you can hear mustangs all day don't try to tell him what exhaust to get... i think everyone is partial to what they have... i have a catted X and LMII from SLP and i love it... and personally i dont think its all that loud... i drive 7 hours from indiana to west virginia about once a month and it isnt loud... the fact is... it is loud when youre on it... if youre at 2,000 and going 75 it isnt loud at all... but put your foot down and it bellows... its all in what you want...
rwboring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

on another note... i noticed more from my catted x (horsepower wise) then my catback... but then again the catback was already on so i took the cork out of it with the X...

i have a friend with an auto GT and he stands by the Sniper tuning kit... esp for an auto... if you get that first then tune for every mod it will gain one or two extra horse per mod!
Old 04-16-2008, 08:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet thanks for the heads up dude. I really don;t know what I want, there are sooooo many choices now. This is my first car that I've had a chance to do stuff to so it's all new to me! But I'm excited to start doing some fun stuff.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

youtube.com man... and everytime you hear a car remember the sound... nothing is better then experience

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT