Exhaust Help?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #1

Region: Illinois
Exhaust Help??

I recently bought a 2003 GT. I later found out the car has no cat. converters, although it has a magnapack system by magnaflow. I need cats to make this thing legal and I will need to go for emmissions soon, so the dealership that sold the vehicle offered to throw on a stock OEM exhaust for free. I dont want a stock exhaust since I currently have a great sound. i am thinking of having them put it on, them taking it off to sell it (at least get money for the valuable cats), then buy a x-pipe with hi-flow cats and run no mufflers. Any other suggestions?

I am trying to do this on a budget as well.
jszudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: Exhaust Help??

Rather than go through the hassle of installing/uninstalling twice... Just have them give it to you? If you do go to them, just be sure they give you the offroad pipe back...
Old 04-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #3

The dealership wants to install probably so they are no longer liable for selling a car w/o cat. converters, so in order for me to get this stock exhaust, I would need to get it installed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jszudy View Post
The dealership wants to install probably so they are no longer liable for selling a car w/o cat. converters, so in order for me to get this stock exhaust, I would need to get it installed

Ahh, work out a deal with the service manager or salesman to have them just get you an aftermarket H or X pipe with cats? Chances are their costs would be about the same, if you get a decent salesman they might go for it, we used to do things like that for customers..
Old 04-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to 05RedDevil

What is the problem? The dealership is going to pay for the emissions legal system which you need to have spare anyway for state inspection and they won't throw out your current exhaust system because that is what you already bought. You just pull the old switch-a-roo when necessary which takes like an hour. What is so complicated here?
Old 04-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #6

The problem is I dont want restrictive cats. I want hi-flow. Ford is going to install probably 4 OEM cats. I would have them put it on so they are not liable, but probably sell the exhaust system or part out the cats for the platinum, then buy an X-pipe with hi-flow cats and use my old magnaflow mufflers or no mufflers. At least that is what i am thinking now.

I even offered to pay extra (over what stock would cost) for a Ford Racing system and they refused. I would think Ford racing is OEM, I mean it is a Ford part number?

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to 05RedDevil

Do you have jackstands or a lift to do the install yourself? Just do it yourself or go. . . anywhere because it is so simple of an install, and get the x-pipe you want put put on. That sounds odd that they won't install a FRPP x-pipe if you pay for the part and they owe you the install. Talk to the manager or just screw the stealership.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Just have the dealer put the stock system on .Tell them you want the system there takin off and put it on later with the high flow cats !!! can't understand your confusion

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust