Problem help pls!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Canada
Problem help pls!!!

Car had trouble starting the last few weeks. Replaced alternator and saw improvement. I have a very rough idle going on. It will rev to 1000 rpm by itself n then a few seconds later drop back down. I've also had a problem with my stereo cutting out while reversing or when I punch the gas n get on it a bit. Also my lights are dimming when I brake or roll windows up and down or convertible top and it seems like things aren't working very fast for example the power windows roll up very slowly. Any ideas on this problem, places to start looking, tips to fix??? Ps this was all happening before I replaced the alternator. Also everything goes to working normal when I push on the accelerator. The stereo will kick back on, windows go up faster ect. Thanks for the help guys cheers

d_1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Registered Member

Region: Indiana
Kinda sounds like you have a wiring problem somewhere. A loose or damaged connection. You should check you connections at the battery. Check battery wires too. Check the ground wire and where it connects to the frame. I believe there's a wire the connects to the engine for a ground as well.

As for the stereo, that could be loose connections with the radio. Is it an aftermarket radio? Was it recently installed or worked on. When you get on it, it could be shifting the loose connection and causing your stereo symtoms.

Since you replaced your alternator, make sure your battery is fully charged. ~12.6v is about where it should be. Some alternators will even tell you this in the instructions too.

ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Florida
Maybe it has something to do with the acceleration pedal like maybe a stripped wire that touches when not wot. Just a suggestion but like azure said check connections and possibley grounds that may be loose but go back to contact with the jerk of wot if that somewhat says something like it wiggles back in place. Sorry if i made no sense couldnt find how to explain it
1996 Mustang GT, 17x9 front and 17x10.5 cobra r replica rims, 255/40/17 front 285/40/17 rear at the moment,
o/r x-pipe flow master 40 series dump downs, cai/ram intake, 75mm c&l throttle body and plenum, pi heads and intake swap, msd wires, stock gears, untuned at the moment, no dyno numbers for now.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Arkansas
Electrical gremlins.
Trace your wires and look for a short.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT