Startup - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Startup

I have a mustang gt 2000 So, about 4 weeks ago I had a little accident with my car. I had to wait for the parts to get here, which took about 3 weeks. I turned the car on almost everyday, but yesterday when i turned it on, after 3 or 4 minutes it just turned off by itself. What can this be?
Jinielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
It could be the aic. Air idles control.

It will cause car to shut off at idle if bad
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinielle View Post
I have a mustang gt 2000 So, about 4 weeks ago I had a little accident with my car. I had to wait for the parts to get here, which took about 3 weeks. I turned the car on almost everyday, but yesterday when i turned it on, after 3 or 4 minutes it just turned off by itself. What can this be?
It sounds as though the battery may be dead, "turning the car on almost everyday", if you did not allow it to run for at least 30 to 45 minutes each time (and possibly even if you did), has likely drained the battery.

For future reference there is no need to start the engine that frequently when the car is idle for 4 to 6 weeks. Mine is a garage queen and as I generally ride my bike it sits for months without being started. I have a battery tender (a Schumacher SEN 1562A) because it sits so long, and keep the oil clean (changed every 6 months), however I never start it without driving it for at least 20+ miles.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk

It sounds as though the battery may be dead, "turning the car on almost everyday", if you did not allow it to run for at least 30 to 45 minutes each time (and possibly even if you did), has likely drained the battery.

For future reference there is no need to start the engine that frequently when the car is idle for 4 to 6 weeks. Mine is a garage queen and as I generally ride my bike it sits for months without being started. I have a battery tender (a Schumacher SEN 1562A) because it sits so long, and keep the oil clean (changed every 6 months), however I never start it without driving it for at least 20+ miles.
Oh okay. Thank you!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I thought u had to drive your car to charge battery? If u just start it and let it idle it wouldn't charge battery any. Any truth to that?
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The alt works at any rpm. It is more efficient at a higher rpm though. We test them at both idle and 2000 rpm. At idle with a heavy load ac on lights on etc the battery will not charge but with everything off it should charge although very slowly.
Bleem@1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleem@1 View Post
The alt works at any rpm. It is more efficient at a higher rpm though. We test them at both idle and 2000 rpm. At idle with a heavy load ac on lights on etc the battery will not charge but with everything off it should charge although very slowly.
K thanks. That makes sense.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinielle View Post

Oh okay. Thank you!
An auto parts store can test your battery to see if it will hold a charge. Something similar to this just happened to me recently after a 3 week stay at a dealership for a new transmission. I got stuck at Starbucks. Anywho, I think you need to remove the battery for them to test it. You'll need an 8mm wrench or socket to loosen the battery post clamps. If the battery is over 3 years old, it's possible it will not hold a charge anymore.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I suspect in this specific situation the battery is just run down (though that can often do in a battery that is failing anyway), and that recharging it will save the day. One word of caution, however.

Many of the modern handheld testers, typically used at FLAPS, will not detect a failing but not yet failed cell because the load they apply is not held for a long enough period. The best test of a starting duty battery is a real high amperage (1/2 of the CCA rating) load test like that provided by this 500A tester from HF:

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

An auto parts store can test your battery to see if it will hold a charge. Something similar to this just happened to me recently after a 3 week stay at a dealership for a new transmission. I got stuck at Starbucks. Anywho, I think you need to remove the battery for them to test it. You'll need an 8mm wrench or socket to loosen the battery post clamps. If the battery is over 3 years old, it's possible it will not hold a charge anymore.
Okay. I'll get on it. Thanks guys!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT