Issue with flywheel on an engine swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2012, 01:41 AM   #1

Region: California
Issue with flywheel on an engine swap

Hello Folks- hoping to get some guidance regarding my issue, appreciate the space.

I have a 2000 GT A/T which was totaled in an accident- body shot, engine great. I found a 2002 GT manual which is cherry and has a blown engine. From all I've read on the boards and in asking other Mustang pros in person, it was supposed to be pretty seamless taking my 2000 engine and matching it with the 2002 manual tranny.

Hasn't been the case so far- the flywheel bolt pattern is just ever so slightly off.

I'm not sure what to do here, I'm pretty bummed and soon to need a running vehicle to get to work. Can anyone tell me why this may be the case, when I've never read this as being an issue? Will I need to have to have a flywheel made for me from a machine shop?

Any guidance you folks can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Phoo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fly wheel.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	72181  
awwphooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
If I'm not mistaken, the 99-early 01s had a 6 bolt fly wheel, late 01s had an 8 bolt. I may have that backwards, but I know they did change during 2001 when going from T-45 to TR3650.

---------- Post added at 02:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus
If I'm not mistaken, the 99-early 01s had a 6 bolt fly wheel, late 01s had an 8 bolt. I may have that backwards, but I know they did change during 2001 when going from T-45 to TR3650.
Late 01s-04*
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #3

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus

---------- Post added at 02:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

Late 01s-04*
II believe you have it backwards. I own a 2000 GT Vert and it has a Windsor engine with an eight bolt crank.
Grupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grupp

II believe you have it backwards. I own a 2000 GT Vert and it has a Windsor engine with an eight bolt crank.
I thought I might have lol, I just knew they were different, couldn't remember which was which.
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grupp

Same here.

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwphooey
Hello Folks- hoping to get some guidance regarding my issue, appreciate the space.

I have a 2000 GT A/T which was totaled in an accident- body shot, engine great. I found a 2002 GT manual which is cherry and has a blown engine. From all I've read on the boards and in asking other Mustang pros in person, it was supposed to be pretty seamless taking my 2000 engine and matching it with the 2002 manual tranny.

Hasn't been the case so far- the flywheel bolt pattern is just ever so slightly off.

I'm not sure what to do here, I'm pretty bummed and soon to need a running vehicle to get to work. Can anyone tell me why this may be the case, when I've never read this as being an issue? Will I need to have to have a flywheel made for me from a machine shop?

Any guidance you folks can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Phoo
Just buy a flywheel for and 02 from your local parts store.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #6

Hey folks, thanks for taking the time to respond. I did a little reading last night, and based on what I read caught the aspect of Romeo vs Windsor, and I was confused because the manual I bought is an '02- but I saw "Windsor" on both valve covers while I was swapping out (didn't pay much attention to it at the time, I'm still learning as I go along).

I just went out to look at the door sticker, apparently I have an '02 body, but a '00 engine- but now I'm even MORE confused, because if they're the same engine I shouldn't be having this problem at all.

Let me try to do a bit better job of explaining what I did though, just to be clear. I own a 2000 stock GT, automatic transmission, which my son totaled. Engine is fine so I took it out, parted out rest of car.

I apparently found a 2002 stock GT with a '00 engine with manual transmission. Engine blown but otherwise everything else is great. I am trying to match the engine from my 2000 GT with the 2000 manual tranny, but the bolt pattern on the flywheel (both wheels have 8) is slightly off.

I've turned it and turned it repeatedly, but to no avail. The forum doesn't seem to allow me to post an attachment, so I placed a pic of my problem on Flickr. You can see where the bolt hole edges are slightly off. And again, I've rotated and rotated and this is the best I can get.

Here's the pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/awwphoo...n/photostream/

Any more advice you'd be willing to give would be appreciated.

Phoo
Old 10-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, you do know the flywheel will go on there one way right? I had a W motor stock in my 2000 GT and I did a motor swap to apparently a 03 cobra block. I used the same flywheel.I noticed that when I put my flywheel on at one point it was like yours, so here is something you can do. Put the flywheel in the same position to where it looks like it is slightly off. Mark any given hole on the flywheel and crank with a marker. Start turning the flywheel until you see all of the holes match up correctly. If you turn the flywheel and the marks that you made match up with no luck then make sure the flywheel isnt warped or bent. Reason I say all of this is because if the crank has 8 bolts and the fly wheel has eight then you should match up regardless of v-8 engine. There is either a 6 bolt or 8 bolt, so do what I mentioned above and let me know.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I noticed you rotated and rotated but try the marker thing, cuz it took me forever and your picture didnt come up.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #9

Ok. So here it goes- I feel like a dumb***. I tried lining the holes up, didn’t work. I posted. Basically everyone said keep turning. Tried for 30 minutes, no luck. Posted. People said “keep turning, go slow”. I turned some more, slow. No luck. Posted. People said “no, turn very very very slow”. At that point, I started thinking nobody understands what I’m trying to say here, they just don’t get it. I'll use a marker. I’m turning it and turning it and everyone here seems to have no idea what they…. Oh… it’s lined up…

Thanks everyone. I’m man enough to come back and say you were right and boy was I wrong- but hells bells, it’s almost like you have to chant, turn, close one eye, whistle and speak some magic to get the holes to line up. Marker does help for sure. I still cant say I’m not damaged by the whole experience.

Thanks again
Phoo
Old 10-15-2012, 12:47 AM   #10
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Ha! Glad you got it on.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwphooey View Post
Ok. So here it goes- I feel like a dumb***. I tried lining the holes up, didn’t work. I posted. Basically everyone said keep turning. Tried for 30 minutes, no luck. Posted. People said “keep turning, go slow”. I turned some more, slow. No luck. Posted. People said “no, turn very very very slow”. At that point, I started thinking nobody understands what I’m trying to say here, they just don’t get it. I'll use a marker. I’m turning it and turning it and everyone here seems to have no idea what they…. Oh… it’s lined up…

Thanks everyone. I’m man enough to come back and say you were right and boy was I wrong- but hells bells, it’s almost like you have to chant, turn, close one eye, whistle and speak some magic to get the holes to line up. Marker does help for sure. I still cant say I’m not damaged by the whole experience.

Thanks again
Phoo
Its ok, I was almost in your shoes when I was putting mine on but then I was like what the hell and did the marker trick and kept turning it until it lined up. Glad you got it on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT