Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Clutch Pedal Height Adjustment and Clutch Freeplay Mod

26K views 126 replies 15 participants last post by  Revvv 
#1 · (Edited)
While I'm on vacation next week, I plan to apply the freeplay setup described Here.

At the same time, I would like to lower my clutch pedal so the overall pedal travel is reduced. I have an Exedy stage 1 clutch, so the window of slippage is smaller than a stock clutch. Has anyone tried to lower their clutch pedal? Maximum Motorsports has a clutch pedal heigt adjuster kit that looks promissing. Has anyone heard of this kit?

Clutch Pedal Height Adjuster

Having a shorter pedal travel would greatly improve drivability and performance, so I'm looking forward to this project and would like some input from others.

#106 ·
Azure said:
Cool! I understand. You just need to make sure to get an adjustable cable AND firewall adjuster and you can adjust your fork position to keep the TOB off of the pressure plate.
Seems that way. I think you can use the stock cable, but you only get the firewall adjustment. I've heard of durability issues with the aftermarket cables.. guess i'm proving that right or wrong in the coming days...

#108 ·
Most of the time you can get the tob off the pressure plate using the firewall adjuster. But when using this technique you won't be able to get the pedal grabbing at the exact location you want as you were able to do with the freeplay mod.

Basically you will adjust the firewall adjuster until you get clearance. But then the pedal is where it is.

Pink Auto part Vehicle Car

If you notice the bracket that comes on the cable actually bolts right up to one of the many swiss cheese looking factory holes in the strut tower. There is a hole that the knotched part of the bracket goes in then another threaded hole it will bolt to. :good:

Attachments

#112 ·
So i put the spring in and it defiantly worked but made the pedal really stiff so i took it off. After i took it off, my clutch wouldn't fully engage! what might of happened?! Did i stretch the clutch cable out?! I completely dropped the trans today and checked everything was in order and when i put it all back together it was still messed up! HELP! p.s. how do i adjust my OEM clutch pedal?

#113 · (Edited)
A few things to check would be to make sure the quadrant is assembled correctly with the spring tension. Check to make sure the plastic quadrant isn't broken. They often get cracked and cannot complete the full motion correctly. The stock setup is an auto-adjust, so your quadrant might have un-adjusted itself. If the quadrant was not broken, try forcing the auto-adjust. With the car off and in first gear, put your foot under the clutch pedal and lift up. Then push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor several times. This is supposed to reset the quadrant and pushing in the clutch is supposed tighten the cable.

Here's a way to manually adjust the cable by SpectorV
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f280/t116999/#post581518

Here is a detailed method to manually adjust the stock setup
Clutch Adjustment How-To

I hope that helps you out. Let us know how it goes.:good:

#115 ·
I still have mine on and like it. It made my pedal act and feel the same as when the clutch was stock. Plus, since getting a firewall adjuster (compared to when I used to have an adjustable cable), my pedal rattled pretty bad without it lol. You don't need a freeplay mod to get proper clutch engagement.

#117 ·
I bought this spring at a Menard’s here locally...
Text Green Font Line Screenshot

It was a two-pack at that time. Looks like you can buy them online now. I had to cut it to length and stretch out one end slightly to get it to rest over the cable bushing. It stays in place really well and doesn’t need anything else, other than the spring. I should have some pictures at home. I’ll try and post them tonight. If someone can allow me to edit this thread, I’ll fix the pics in it.

#124 ·
Don't do the freeplay mod, the TOB is designed and made to be spinning 100% of the time. You tear it and your clutch fork up with these sorts of things which I found out a long time ago.

#125 ·
I still have mine touching ever so slightly. It was just rattling terribly, which I thought would be bad IMO. Also, the pedal would flop when I shifted fast. The spring helped keep it up and stopped the flop too. Back when I had my adjustable FRPP cable, it didn’t rattle. The pedal did flop worse though, like when you hit a large bump. The rattle cane around when I got a MM cable and firewall adjuster kit. I already had the free play setup I made, so I just put it back on.

#127 ·
Sorry it took me so long Revvv lol. Here’s the spring in place with my newer Maximum Motorsports cable setup.

View attachment 245458
That makes a bit if sense. I may give it a try until I get a firewall adjuster.

It can't hurt. I need a new clutch. Mine is beginning to have that wonderful clutch slipping smell. There are no adjustments, so I have to assume the material has worn as far as it wants to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.