Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Clutch Pedal Height Adjustment and Clutch Freeplay Mod

26K views 126 replies 15 participants last post by  Revvv 
#1 · (Edited)
While I'm on vacation next week, I plan to apply the freeplay setup described Here.

At the same time, I would like to lower my clutch pedal so the overall pedal travel is reduced. I have an Exedy stage 1 clutch, so the window of slippage is smaller than a stock clutch. Has anyone tried to lower their clutch pedal? Maximum Motorsports has a clutch pedal heigt adjuster kit that looks promissing. Has anyone heard of this kit?

Clutch Pedal Height Adjuster

Having a shorter pedal travel would greatly improve drivability and performance, so I'm looking forward to this project and would like some input from others.

#6 · (Edited)
If your having some trouble picturing how the freeplay mod is installed on the clutch cable, take a look at the pic.

Pretend the bike brake cable is your clutch cable. Does that help make sense of what the freeplay spring does? The spring will keep tension on the cable so your pedal is not floppy in your car. This also will keep your throw out bearing off of the pressure plate.

This is just to show you how the spring and PVC coupling fit on a cable mechanism.
View attachment 72593

Forgive my crude drawing;)

#7 ·
Jajaja nice man. I get the drawing just don't get how is the spring putting tension on the cable? Wait wait wait wait is the whole purpose of this to have the, clutch fully engaged, clutch pedal farther away from the floor or the pedal closer to the floor, disengaged?

#12 ·
Azure said:
Okay, my pic was a bad example because I thought you knew which way the cable moves when you push in the clutch. Check out this pic...

This should make more sense

When you let the clutch pedal out (lift up), the spring forces the clutch fork away from the pressure plate. This also removes any slack you have in your cable.
Still dont get how all this helps your clutch out. I get the process just not the outcome

#14 ·
The primary reason is to keep the throw out bearing from riding on the clutch pressure plate 100% of the time. Normally, with a stock clutch, the TOB is slightly off the pressure plate and only touches when you push in the clutch pedal. When you put an aftermarket clutch and clutch quadrant, like Exedy or Spec, many times the TOB will ride on the pressure plate. Adding the spring forces TOB off the pressure plate.

#17 ·
Azure said:
The primary reason is to keep the throw out bearing from riding on the clutch pressure plate 100% of the time. Normally, with a stock clutch, the TOB is slightly off the pressure plate and only touches when you push in the clutch pedal. When you put an aftermarket clutch and clutch quadrant, like Exedy or Spec, many times the TOB will ride on the pressure plate. Adding the spring forces TOB off the pressure plate.
Aha I get that point but I dont get how the spring itself can do just that, im pretty sure it's simple but I just dont see it.

#18 ·
Butch said:
Aha I get that point but I dont get how the spring itself can do just that, im pretty sure it's simple but I just dont see it.
The spring is between the clutch fork and bellhousing so that it spreads the two apart. It should have just enough force to hold the TOB off of the pressure plate.

#19 ·
JDF said:
The spring is between the clutch fork and bellhousing so that it spreads the two apart. It should have just enough force to hold the TOB off of the pressure plate.
So is the spring pushing the fork towards the back?

#22 ·
Butch said:
Oooooohhhhhhh all issues are now resolved, but with this setup would you not fully engaged the clutch?
You have the spacer taking up space and also the spring
Are you talking about when you disengage your clutch? The spring will depress enough to allow it to fully disengage assuming the spacer isn't extremely thick.

#23 ·
JDF said:
Are you talking about when you disengage your clutch? The spring will depress enough to allow it to fully disengage assuming the spacer isn't extremely thick.
No no when you engage. Cause your pulling the fork towards the spacer, so wouldn't the spring and spacer take up space?

#24 ·
Butch said:
No no when you engage. Cause your pulling the fork towards the spacer, so wouldn't the spring and spacer take up space?
There's a good amount of space between the bell housing and clutch fork. The fork doesn't get pulled all the way to it so it will be fine as long as you don't use a tightly wound spring. :good:

#25 ·
93slowstang said:
There's a good amount of space between the bell housing and clutch fork. The fork doesn't get pulled all the way to it so it will be fine as long as you don't use a tightly wound spring. :good:
Ah

#27 ·
Azure said:
Okay, my pic was a bad example because I thought you knew which way the cable moves when you push in the clutch. Check out this pic...

This should make more sense

When you let the clutch pedal out (lift up), the spring forces the clutch fork away from the pressure plate. This also removes any slack you have in your cable.
Hey AZ. I get the concept except one thing. It seems The spring allows the TOB to engage earlier because the spring multiplies the tension being applied by the pedal. Did I get that right? The actual pedal height stays the same.

#29 ·
Actually, they spring will fight against the engagement of the TOB. Now keep in mind, this spring is not really very heavy. It has enough tension to push the clutch fork away from the pressure plate. Here is a better look at the spring the creator of the mod (lowflyn) used for his Cobra...Hillman Group Utility Compression Spring #47

For my pedal height, there is a link in the first post for a Maximum Motorsports Clutch Pedal Adjuster. This will allow me to change the pedal height. I'll take plenty of pics when I do this next week.

#30 ·
Azure said:
Actually, they spring will fight against the engagement of the TOB. Now keep in mind, this spring is not really very heavy. It has enough tension to push the clutch fork away from the pressure plate. Here is a better look at the spring the creator of the mod (lowflyn) used for his Cobra...Hillman Group Utility Compression Spring #47

For my pedal height, there is a link in the first post for a Maximum Motorsports Clutch Pedal Adjuster. This will allow me to change the pedal height. I'll take plenty of pics when I do this next week.
I look forward to it.

#33 ·
When they replaced my tranny a little over a month ago, the put this Ford Racing adjustable cable and quadrant in with it. I knew they used the adjustable cable, but I didn't know about the quadrant until after they had made an adjustment for me a few weeks ago. Theoretically, it's still under warranty, but I really want to put this pedal height adjuster on my ride. Also, they didn't seem concerned whether the TOB was riding on the pressure plate. :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.