96 Cobra 4v Question! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #1

Region: Georgia
96 Cobra 4v Question!

Sup guys, I'm new here. Alright, I know this guy that has a 1996 Cobra for sale.. I was planning on trading him my 98 GT for his car. He told me the car needs a intake gasket.. Well, here is the story of what he said. "Ran good, then noticed water coming out of the exhaust, So i pulled the intake and there was water everywhere and the gaskets were rotten and cracked. the upper gasket looked fine, I thought It was the headgasket till we did a compression check and they were about the same on every cylinder." I asked him if it was skipping or over heating, he said "Nothing just water everywhere it ran perfect, i drained the water and oil and just put oil in and it fired up fine sounded fine and then i cut it off."
He also said that its the lower gaskets that sit on the imrc butterflies.

Sorry if its hard to understand, I was reading the text messages he sent and typing..

I was thinking this could be a head gasket, Any other opinions? I'd hate to trade for a money pit. Thanks guys
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I'm no mechanic but, my dad and brother both are. I've grown up working on cars with them all my life..... This guy's story sounds really fishy to me. What does he mean by water everywhere?

First of all I'm guessing by "water" he means coolant.

Next I'm not sure on the Cobras, but from 96 to 98 Ford has had a problem with the water crossover that is on the intake manifold cracking just below the thermostat. I know because I had to replace mine.

Confused about the water coming out the exhaust. Every car has water come out the exhaust. I believe (don't quote me on this) that it's from the ethanol that is in the gas. Note: that some gas stations have ethanol free gas, it's usually the 93 or better octane.

if in fact he was talking about coolant coming out the exhaust it would more than likely be coming out as white smoke and smell super sweet. This could be from a head gasket or cracked block.

If it were me, I would take the car to a good mechanic and tell him your concerns. Might save you a big headache. There is a chance that the motor was hydro locked and destroyed some of the internals. He said they did a compression test but do you know for sure.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #3

Region: Georgia
Thanks for the reply man. And I do not know for sure. He said I could put the old gasket and intake back on and try it myself, but then again, I dont know how to tell.
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Welcome to ME by the way. Like I said I am by no means an expert. Find a good mechanic! Just hate to see anyone get hosed. If its a head gasket or the intake it might be worth the trade. If the block is cracked, if there are any bent rods because the cylinders filled with coolant, I would walk away. Trust me I'd love to trade up to a Cobra, but not if I have to stick a whole new motor.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT