Transmission noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Transmission noise

I have a 2001 GT with a 5 speed. I noticed today (its been raining all day) I have a weird noise when the clutch is out, sounds like a light whining noise, also when i am in first gear, i have a grinding sound. Never had a mustang or been in a newer style mustang. So i am not sure whats normal for these transmissions.

Thank you everyone!
buickregal79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

The car has 54,500 miles and am going to assume most parts are still stock, i get i slight vibration at an idle after the car warms up a bit, cant tell if its exhaust or engine is running rough, doesn't seem like it though. Think the noise could be a throwout bearing and maybe causing the vibration also? Thanks again everyone.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by buickregal79
The car has 54,500 miles and am going to assume most parts are still stock, i get i slight vibration at an idle after the car warms up a bit, cant tell if its exhaust or engine is running rough, doesn't seem like it though. Think the noise could be a throwout bearing and maybe causing the vibration also? Thanks again everyone.
Hi. I'm no tech, but I learn as I go. The TOB won't cause the vibration, but a misfire (MF) will. MF can be caused by spark or injector problems. I'm using my iPhone so ear with me. The noise you hear could well be the TOB. Before I move on here's a tip. Many TOB associated with used car manual transmissions fail almost instantly, even high end ones. I have no idea why, but they do. Live with it as Lon as you can then change it. Get an a firewall adjustable kit so you can make timely adjustments. About the idle. Do what the repair manual says. I'm sure you have one, if not buy one. Here's a tip: start the engine, put it in first, ease the pedal out while stepping on the brake pedal (create a bog). Does the car vibrate? Try it in 2nd, does the same happen? If it does, you have a misfire. That my friend is a pro short cut. Listen to your exhaust, does it thump instead of flow easily? You get my drift.
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

OK, i changed my plugs last night, they were original not a surprise, that fixed the small vibration from running slightly rough, and as for the tranny noise i guess i am going to have to replace the Throwout bearing. Any easy instructions on how to do it? And i have no idea how to adjust a cable clutch i have always had hydraulic.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by buickregal79
OK, i changed my plugs last night, they were original not a surprise, that fixed the small vibration from running slightly rough, and as for the tranny noise i guess i am going to have to replace the Throwout bearing. Any easy instructions on how to do it? And i have no idea how to adjust a cable clutch i have always had hydraulic.
Wouldn't bother replacing it unless its screaming or you need a clutch cause a new one will just start making noise too.. 9 out of every 10 make noise.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Really? That common? That blows, but as soon as this started i have a odd grinding type noise in first at low rpm and speed and same in 2nd.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have the exact same grinding noise when starting slowly in first. Car has same miles as urs and it seems to b more noticeable in the rain for some reason. Would love some advice. I also have a really rough idle but that grinding noise is driving me nuts
d_1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #8

Region: New York
It could be 1 of 2 things

1) you could be leaking transmission fluid

2)transmission might be bad and might need to be changed
Mustangsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

There's no leak, I'm pretty sure it's the tob which is a job I dnt even wanna get involved in
Old 10-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have a chirping TOB too. It's about to drive me crazy. Can't hardly stand to drive it anymore. I have a friend that just ordered a Ram clutch and a Ford Racing TOB so I'm going to replace mine with the Ram one. Only because its free and I can't stand the noise anymore. Hopefully it will last a while.
Silver Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Pony
I have a chirping TOB too. It's about to drive me crazy. Can't hardly stand to drive it anymore. I have a friend that just ordered a Ram clutch and a Ford Racing TOB so I'm going to replace mine with the Ram one. Only because its free and I can't stand the noise anymore. Hopefully it will last a while.
Do u know how much the part cost him?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_1212

Do u know how much the part cost him?
$59.99 on American Muscle. Ford Racing TOB.
Silver Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I believe i have to original clutch in mine (54,000miles), so i am going with a ford racing clutch and heavy duty TOB, i want to replace my pilot bearing also, whats the best to use?
Old 10-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
When im in 5th gear lower rpms say 50 mph at about a 1300-1500 rpm mine makes a whining sound i dont know if its normal to just be driving but it dont sound bad since the tranny and all is just right there, anything wrond of is it normal?
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT