Reading dipstick - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Reading dipstick

My dipstick reads little over half on flat side (closest to motor. ) but on other side its over the full mark. It seems I should go by flat side but why would it be that far off on other side (side with numbers).

Dipstick is straight not braided or twisty.
Oils important so I figure I'd ask.
Yes car is level. 96 gt thanks
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt View Post
My dipstick reads little over half on flat side (closest to motor. ) but on other side its over the full mark. It seems I should go by flat side but why would it be that far off on other side (side with numbers).

Dipstick is straight not braided or twisty.
Oils important so I figure I'd ask.
Yes car is level. 96 gt thanks
Always been told to go buy the low side,,but if both sides are in the crosshatch area you should be good
Old 10-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
Always been told to go buy the low side,,but if both sides are in the crosshatch area you should be good
On the low side it b bout lit over half. The other side is above full. There's bout 1/2" difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Have to checked it more than once? Not to be rude just making sure. Possibly there is some oil on the side of the spout/tube(not sure of technical term) that the dipstick goes down. So when the dipstick is going down the oil goes on that one side. Does that make sense? Lol. Also maybe try taking it for a drive. Let it cool off and check again. It's weird that its a 1/2" off. The stick itself is only about 1/4" wide. If it was me and I messed around with it and still couldn't figure why I was getting weird amounts. I'd fill it up so that the high side is at the full mark. And as long as the low side isn't under the low mark, you should be good.

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT View Post
Have to checked it more than once? Not to be rude just making sure. Possibly there is some oil on the side of the spout/tube(not sure of technical term) that the dipstick goes down. So when the dipstick is going down the oil goes on that one side. Does that make sense? Lol. Also maybe try taking it for a drive. Let it cool off and check again. It's weird that its a 1/2" off. The stick itself is only about 1/4" wide. If it was me and I messed around with it and still couldn't figure why I was getting weird amounts. I'd fill it up so that the high side is at the full mark. And as long as the low side isn't under the low mark, you should be good.
Ye I usually check it bout 15 to 20 times. Probably lose 1/4 quart from wiping off dipstick lol. When the low side was closer to full, it ran smoother and was quieter at start up. But the other side was bout 1/4 inch over full, so I got paranoid and drained a little out.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Id fill it back up how you had it. Especially if it ran smoother and quieter. If you are a little high and you are actually are a 1/4 past the full mark you'll be alright. That's not dangerously high. But chances are the oil level isn't actually that high anyways. You're all good man, fill it back up where you had it. High side 1/4 above full, low side 1/4 below full.

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT View Post
Id fill it back up how you had it. Especially if it ran smoother and quieter. If you are a little high and you are actually are a 1/4 past the full mark you'll be alright. That's not dangerously high. But chances are the oil level isn't actually that high anyways. You're all good man, fill it back up where you had it. High side 1/4 above full, low side 1/4 below full.
Thanks. The low side is blank and high side has a serial number on it. When it was running smoother I checked oil and there was no air bubbles on dipstick. Nor was it foamy.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt View Post
On the low side it b bout lit over half. The other side is above full. There's bout 1/2" difference.
Your good

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT