misfire after replacing plug coil pack and injectoe! HELP! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #1

Region: Virginia
misfire after replacing plug coil pack and injectoe! HELP!

I have a 2000 mustang ft automatic. I put a new motor in it about 7 months ago. The motor is from a 2002 gt .. it has bbk 78mm throttle body, cai, and full exhaust minus headers, and act x3 tuner. A couple days ago I was filling up on gas, decided to put 93 octane in it.. the tank was empty.. I usually run 89.. I set the tuner to the race setting and got on the interstate.. I put it to the floor and it didn't seem like it was going much faster than the stock. Unwashed going about 130 and it wasn't trying to go any faster.. I saw an unmarked state trooper and slowed down extremely fast.. he pulled me over (only clocked me at 78 in a 65) but when i came to a complete stop my car was vibrating and misfireing and sounded like complete ****.. so I shut it off and while he was writing me 4 God dam tickets, I plugged my tuner up and returned it to stock.. when I started it back up it still sounded like **** and was misfiring. I drove the car home, and the next day I replaced the spark plugs, one of the spark plugs that came from one of the misfiring cylinders had the little hook chipped off the tip of the spark plug. After replacing the spark plugs I started it up.. still misfiring on cylinders 4 and 8.. ibfigured it could be the coil packs, so I switched packs on cylinders 4 and 8 with 1and 5 to see if the misfire would follow the "bad coil packs".. turns out that the coil package were good, still misfired on 4 and 8.. I then went and bought 2 new fuel injectors and put them in cylinders 4 and 8.. still misfiring.. I then checked the wires that plug up to the coil packs with a tester light.. they are getting power... I don't know what to do next.. I'm thinking a compression test, but I don't have 90 bucks to go to the dealership.. I need help asap.. please respond to this or call me at 757-291-5708
bradenengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If the metal hook part of the electrode broke off in the engine you may have a big problem. That metal will scratch up the cylinder wall and could get jammed between the piston and the block and break something. If it is in there you could take the plug out and use one of those magnetic telescoping tools to try and retrieve it. Your misfire could be due to damage to the injector from the metal flying around in there. The real question is why the spark plug broke in the first place. Did the piston hit it?
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #3

Region: Virginia
Well there's 2 cylinders misfiring.. but only one of the misfiring cylinders had the broken spark plug tip
bradenengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I have the same problem on my 2000. Tested all coils (they're MSD and really new) and they're fine, and the spark plugs are fine. I don't know about injectors, however, i do know i wasn't getting fuel. I swapped out my fuel filter because i had high revved the engine while upshifting and the fuel pump sent too much pressure through the filter and clogged it closed. Once i replaced it, it helped, however, i still have the problem of it running like complete crap. Half the time it won't even start. I suppose it could be injectors but i seriously doubt it, and i know for sure it's not the fuel pump. I'm just as lost. My next step is a compression test i guess.
NoStangNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Did you check the gap in the plugs?
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Did you check the gap in the plugs?
Ok genius, when i put the plugs in (brand new) i gapped them correctly to spec. It ran amazing. The old plugs were really worn and bad. It's ran amazing many times since i put plugs in. So.. explain to me, genius, how the hell plugs inside an engine can ruin their gap spacing? Detonation? I run rich because I need a tune. So your question makes not a lot of sense, but thanks for trying.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

So ur a dick head to somebody trying to help!? Notice my car don't have problems dick.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

Where I'm from we r not a dick to people trying to help. Dick. Second of all, where I'm from you start simple. Dick
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Sorry about that braden
Old 02-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
So ur a dick head to somebody trying to help!? Notice my car don't have problems dick.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

Where I'm from we r not a dick to people trying to help. Dick. Second of all, where I'm from you start simple. Dick
I understand starting simple, but not THAT simple. Like I said, thanks for TRYING. Okay, so your car doesn't have problems. For now. "Dick" seems to be on your mind a lot.. maybe you should think more about what you're going to say before you say it instead of "dick", especially if you don't want somebody to eat you alive with knowledge. Just a word of advice. Again, thanks for trying.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

Braden, after you swapped the coils from 4 and 8 around, did you clear any codes in the computer? Once you do this, see if the codes for 4 and 8 come back. That'll indicate there is still a problem. Also, if you have a random misfire code, it's possible that it could be your fuel filter, I would recommend changing that unless you know for sure you're getting fuel. Hope this helps.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
If the metal hook part of the electrode broke off in the engine you may have a big problem. That metal will scratch up the cylinder wall and could get jammed between the piston and the block and break something. If it is in there you could take the plug out and use one of those magnetic telescoping tools to try and retrieve it. Your misfire could be due to damage to the injector from the metal flying around in there. The real question is why the spark plug broke in the first place. Did the piston hit it?
I agree to a point, but more than likely a small piece of metal like that would have either spot welded to the piston, or been passed out through the exhaust. It is possible that it rattled around and scratched up the cylinder walls and such but I seriously doubt it would have gone between the piston and the cylinder wall, there isn't enough space between the two for metal that size to fit. If it spot welded to the cylinder wall he would DEFINATELY have known it when the piston came up on its next stroke. Combustion chamber temperatures range anywhere between 1000 to 5000 degrees so instant spot welding would occur, however at high RPM I would think it more likely to get passed out the exhaust before it had time to set. It's possible it could have damaged the injector like you said, but i just see it as unlikely.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStangNewb View Post

I understand starting simple, but not THAT simple. Like I said, thanks for TRYING. Okay, so your car doesn't have problems. For now. "Dick" seems to be on your mind a lot.. maybe you should think more about what you're going to say before you say it instead of "dick", especially if you don't want somebody to eat you alive with knowledge. Just a word of advice. Again, thanks for trying.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

Braden, after you swapped the coils from 4 and 8 around, did you clear any codes in the computer? Once you do this, see if the codes for 4 and 8 come back. That'll indicate there is still a problem. Also, if you have a random misfire code, it's possible that it could be your fuel filter, I would recommend changing that unless you know for sure you're getting fuel. Hope this helps.
Eat me alive? Looks like mister knowledge can't diagnose his own problems. Until you can do that, don't think anybody needs advice from you dick.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Oh and with all your "knowledge" you came up with fuel filter, real complex there.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I.had same problem. It was the grounds that connect to.the fuel rails.
bottlefed04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT