OIL PRESSURE - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
OIL PRESSURE

My oil pressure reads on the "o" of normal when first started. Then in 5-10 minutes later it'll be on the "m". All my vehicles has always been opposite. High pressure then after warmed up it gets lower, not higher.

96gt. 5w20 oil. What would cause this? It was bout 34 degrees ths morning. Thanks
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Bump
Old 10-23-2012, 05:42 AM   #3
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I don't know what's causing it. But positive pressure is a good thing. But then again, those factory oil pressure gauges are not very accurate. Maybe you should upgrade to a psi oil pressure gauge so you can keep better track of it?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I know it don't make sense. That's what I was thinking faulty guage. Just went out and started and pressure went right to the "m". Its not cold today like yesterday.

Thanks primer. I already want a pillar pod so atleast I know one guage I need. Thanks
Old 10-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
I don't know what's causing it. But positive pressure is a good thing. But then again, those factory oil pressure gauges are not very accurate. Maybe you should upgrade to a psi oil pressure gauge so you can keep better track of it?
+11. The pressure gauges in our cars are more like Fancy Idiot Lights then anything else!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt
I know it don't make sense. That's what I was thinking faulty guage. Just went out and started and pressure went right to the "m". Its not cold today like yesterday.

Thanks primer. I already want a pillar pod so atleast I know one guage I need. Thanks
No problem. If I might make a suggestion... A coolant temp gauge would be a good number 2. I know it seems kinda redundant but as Eturner put it, the factory gauges are just fancy idiot lights. Oil pressure and Coolant temperature are two very important things to monitor. They would be like an early warning detection that something is wrong. If you go with a 3 pod pillar a wide band Air/Fuel ratio gauge would also be useful.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
No problem. If I might make a suggestion... A coolant temp gauge would be a good number 2. I know it seems kinda redundant but as Eturner put it, the factory gauges are just fancy idiot lights. Oil pressure and Coolant temperature are two very important things to monitor. They would be like an early warning detection that something is wrong. If you go with a 3 pod pillar a wide band Air/Fuel ratio gauge would also be useful.
Ye that's the 2 I was going to get oil + water. Is the wide band that important? I know your air/fuel mixture is important. Prob just get double pillar, then get rid of clock. I like how the guages look in place of clock. Is wide band so you can adjust or just monitor. I remember seeing them for $150 or so. Just getting started Modding so 150 a lot of money considering I need everything lol.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ye that's the 2 I was going to get oil + water. Is the wide band that important? I know your air/fuel mixture is important. Prob just get double pillar, then get rid of clock. I like how the guages look in place of clock. Is wide band so you can adjust or just monitor. I remember seeing them for $150 or so. Just getting started Modding so 150 a lot of money considering I need everything lol.
If your just starting the mod thing I would personally get the 2 pod one!.. Oil and water!... The air-fuel one seems only useful if your into fine tunning your own ride!.. But that's just me!..
Old 10-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
If your just starting the mod thing I would personally get the 2 pod one!.. Oil and water!... The air-fuel one seems only useful if your into fine tunning your own ride!.. But that's just me!..
Ye I wouldn't know where to begin adjusting that. Is visibility bad with triple pod pillar? Or is 2 pod bad? I could always put them where clock is but pillar pods look awesome.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
around 96 ford changed the oil pressure to be basically useless, just on or off no real information at all. If yours is like this then the sender unit to signal "on" is bad. If you have a real sensor then it may just be the unit or the gauge. If you had zero oil pressure the car would not be running very long.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ye I wouldn't know where to begin adjusting that. Is visibility bad with triple pod pillar? Or is 2 pod bad? I could always put them where clock is but pillar pods look awesome.
I don't have pillar pods in mine yet!.. I'm waiting to go FI first!.. But from what I've seen I a friends Mustang, visibility is still really good!..
Old 10-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
I don't have pillar pods in mine yet!.. I'm waiting to go FI first!.. But from what I've seen I a friends Mustang, visibility is still really good!..
Thanks. Minds made up double pod pillar. Thanks for information guys, helped a lot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT