Modify my 04, runs slower...makes sense....Help? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Modify my 04, runs slower...makes sense....Help?

So the average time for my 04 GT auto is about a 13.99 @ 95. Mods are stock springs, Catless Bassani x, dynomax ultra flows, and a K&N intake, with no tune, not so great 315 Nitto NT555s, and 87 gas. The best I've achieved was a 14.18 @ 98.7 mph. Since then I've put on H&R SS springs, new iridium spark plugs. Accel supercoils, new 275 NT555 tires, and a 93 octane Bama race tune that really firmed the shifts up. So as result I'd figure I would be running high 13s. But instead I've run a best of 14.6 @ 94 mph. Why would I be going slower? The car runs perfectly fine. So what is up?

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

I apologize. The best time was 14.39, not 13.99. My bad.
1997 Ford Mustang GT (Rio Red) (RMR #7832)

2003 Ford Mustang GT Centennial Edition (Black) (SOLD)
2004 Ford Mustang GT (Redfire) (SOLD)
1985 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe (Red) (SOLD)
TheJigShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I do mid 14s on 97 with 3700 lbs at about 95 mph too. Manual tranny, NA engine. Tuned to 93 gas. Maybe it's your reaction time. Also hard launches take a lot out of street cars.

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT
I do mid 14s on 97 with 3700 lbs at about 95 mph too. Manual tranny, NA engine. Tuned to 93 gas. Maybe it's your reaction time. Also hard launches take a lot out of street cars.
97 GT VERT.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
How are you launching? Launching wrong can damage the car and cause it to run slower.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 05:36 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4
How are you launching? Launching wrong can damage the car and cause it to run slower.
Well I staged it by turning off the traction control, pressing my left foot down on the brake pedal, and then build up the revs to about 1500rpm. When I'm ready to go, I just floor the gas and left my foot off the brakes at the same time. I also start off by putting the lever in "1" instead of "D" and then when I first get moving I push it back in "D" and let it shift itself. I also turn off the overdrive as well. This is how I've always ran my car. My reaction time and 60 foot times are the same as before.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I've been told that my car smells like it has race gas, especially after the coils have been installed. I'm starting to believe that the coils are causing the car to run rich, holding me back, despite the "performance gain" claim.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJigShow
I've been told that my car smells like it has race gas, especially after the coils have been installed. I'm starting to believe that the coils are causing the car to run rich, holding me back, despite the "performance gain" claim.
You went from a 315 to a 275 tire!.. I would say less traction!.. Plus those Accel Super coils?!?!.... They are a joke!.. I've used them in the past and never will again!!! MSD or stock is what you need!..

---------- Post added at 05:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 AM ----------

Quote:

Well I staged it by turning off the traction control, pressing my left foot down on the brake pedal, and then build up the revs to about 1500rpm. When I'm ready to go, I just floor the gas and left my foot off the brakes at the same time. I also start off by putting the lever in "1" instead of "D" and then when I first get moving I push it back in "D" and let it shift itself. I also turn off the overdrive as well. This is how I've always ran my car. My reaction time and 60 foot times are the same as before.
Going back and forth like this between 1st and Drive is a waist!.. Your not really hurting but your not really helping either!.. I would just keep it in Drive and leave it there!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:46 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Being an auto I doubt seriously traction has anything to do with it.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

You went from a 315 to a 275 tire!.. I would say less traction!.. Plus those Accel Super coils?!?!.... They are a joke!.. I've used them in the past and never will again!!! MSD or stock is what you need!..

---------- Post added at 05:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 AM ----------

Going back and forth like this between 1st and Drive is a waist!.. Your not really hurting but your not really helping either!.. I would just keep it in Drive and leave it there!..
I'm switching back to the stock coils today. The only other mod I plan on is a 125 shot so I won't really need performance coils. I figured the cycles would help but they really aren't doing a thing. Also I'll try switching back to the 315s when I run again. They hooked better but were too wide for daily driving.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:

I'm switching back to the stock coils today. The only other mod I plan on is a 125 shot so I won't really need performance coils. I figured the cycles would help but they really aren't doing a thing. Also I'll try switching back to the 315s when I run again. They hooked better but were too wide for daily driving.
If you lost traction vs your original runs then you answered or could have answered your own question, with the difference only being a couple tenths any loss of traction could easily explain it.........

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT