PI intake on non PI heads - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
PI intake on non PI heads

Can I put a pi intake manifold on non pi heads
New me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by New me
Can I put a pi intake manifold on non pi heads
No!.. Won't fit!...
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Then where can I get one that will fit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by New me
Then where can I get one that will fit
Are you looking for a simple replacement to get your car running?.. Or an up grade?...
Old 10-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
It'll fit. 15rwhp too. Check out livernois or something like that. There's lots of write ups on it.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt
It'll fit. 15rwhp too. Check out livernois or something like that. There's lots of write ups on it.
A PI intake manifold will not fit on NPI heads!..
Old 10-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
A PI intake manifold will not fit on NPI heads!..
Ye man. There's a kit or u can just use some rvt sealant on one of the runners. Google it. I'm doing it at taxes with pi cams. Google it. I wouldn't lie to you.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ye man. There's a kit or u can just use some rvt sealant on one of the runners. Google it. I'm doing it at taxes with pi cams. Google it. I wouldn't lie to you.
Ya you can do some Hack Job and try to Seal it all up!.. Or you can do it right and do a full PI swap!.. But why would you want to do that?.. The PI intake is no better than the NPI one!.. The gains are all in the heads, not the intake!..

So go ahead and piece something together and have nothing to show for it!..
Old 10-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Ya you can do some Hack Job and try to Seal it all up!.. Or you can do it right and do a full PI swap!.. But why would you want to do that?.. The PI intake is no better than the NPI one!.. The gains are all in the heads, not the intake!..

So go ahead and piece something together and have nothing to show for it!..
What if I buy kit, still hack job? I don't want my CR to rise. That's why I wouldn't use heads. Supercharger in the future. Ported npi heads just as good as ported pi heads. I'm not arguing, I was just giving him options. Its his car to do whatever he wants.

My buddy did the hackjob 30000 miles ago, no problems yet.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Whoever really does their research will find that the most gains in a PI swap come from the intake manifold and cams. The heads are only good for 10hp and the raise compression. My intake blew 6 months ago and I replaced it with the PI one and it was easy as hell. Decent gains too
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What if I buy kit, still hack job? I don't want my CR to rise. That's why I wouldn't use heads. Supercharger in the future. Ported npi heads just as good as ported pi heads. I'm not arguing, I was just giving him options. Its his car to do whatever he wants.

My buddy did the hackjob 30000 miles ago, no problems yet.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Actually Ported PI heads do not flow as well as Ported NPI!.. Never heard of someone saying, "I want a set of Ported NPI heads on my car!.." Never heard of some one doing a PI to NPI swap!.. Kinda makes me wonder why!.. Could it be because the heads and all are not as good?..

Also there are two schools of thought in regards CR when going FI!.. One is that you want less CR!.. The other being a slight raise in CR is better!.. Being that in order to make power you need "Spend some power!.." This being the case more so when going with a SuperCharger!..

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vertgt
Whoever really does their research will find that the most gains in a PI swap come from the intake manifold and cams. The heads are only good for 10hp and the raise compression. My intake blew 6 months ago and I replaced it with the PI one and it was easy as hell. Decent gains too
Do you have actual Dyno numbers to back your "Decent gains"?... Every place I've seen make those claims, but have no Dynos to back it up!..

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

My advice is to plan your build before you just start throwing parts in for that little bit of instant gain!.. You will save more money in the end!..
Old 10-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Meant to say ported NPI heads don't flow as well as ported PI heads!..
Old 10-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner
Actually Ported PI heads do not flow as well as Ported NPI!.. Never heard of someone saying, "I want a set of Ported NPI heads on my car!.." Never heard of some one doing a PI to NPI swap!.. Kinda makes me wonder why!.. Could it be because the heads and all are not as good?..

Also there are two schools of thought in regards CR when going FI!.. One is that you want less CR!.. The other being a slight raise in CR is better!.. Being that in order to make power you need "Spend some power!.." This being the case more so when going with a SuperCharger!..

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

Do you have actual Dyno numbers to back your "Decent gains"?... Every place I've seen make those claims, but have no Dynos to back it up!..

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

My advice is to plan your build before you just start throwing parts in for that little bit of instant gain!.. You will save more money in the end!..
I don't need dyno numbers.. The car pulls a little harder up top so that's a gain to me.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't need dyno numbers.. The car pulls a little harder up top so that's a gain to me.
Got some track numbers then?.. Otherwise all your comparing is a broken part to a fixed part!.. So ya, in that case it will pull harder up top!.. It's not broken any more!..

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Here's the thing!.. I've seen people make claims that it will help!.. But with out any hard evidence to back it up!.. I don't want to see the OP spend money and time on some thing and have nothing to show for it!..

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

I can claim all day long, until I'm blue in the face, that my new alternator has enabled my car to pull harder too!.. But without any real world numbers to back it up, then just claiming it don't make it so!..
Old 10-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Got some track numbers then?.. Otherwise all your comparing is a broken part to a fixed part!.. So ya, in that case it will pull harder up top!.. It's not broken any more!..

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Here's the thing!.. I've seen people make claims that it will help!.. But with out any hard evidence to back it up!.. I don't want to see the OP spend money and time on some thing and have nothing to show for it!..

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

I can claim all day long, until I'm blue in the face, that my new alternator has enabled my car to pull harder too!.. But without any real world numbers to back it up, then just claiming it don't make it so!..
Well I'm not some kid that thinks adding a 2 foot spoiler on the back of my civic gives me an extra 50 horses.. All I'm saying is that I could tell a difference after the swap.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well I'm not some kid that thinks adding a 2 foot spoiler on the back of my civic gives me an extra 50 horses.. All I'm saying is that I could tell a difference after the swap.
And you made the swap because your old one was broken!.. You went from a broken part to a fixed part!.. More than likely the difference you felt was nothing more than that!..

I "felt" a difference after swapping out my alternator!.. But just like you I went from a broken part to a fixed one!..

I "felt" a difference also when I swapped out my battery last year!.. But once again I went from broken to fixed!..

Felt a difference when I swapped out my Air Filter!.. Need I say more?...

My point being is that you went from a broken part to a fixed part!.. So ya you felt a difference!.. Your car is not broken anymore!.. So ya that's a difference!.. But I'd does not back your claim about the intake!..

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

I'm not bashing you or saying your some dumb kid!..
Old 10-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

But I don't have 900 for heads and intack and time 2 do all that I need one fast cheep and summit cj pony no one has npi intakes
Old 10-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by New me View Post
But I don't have 900 for heads and intack and time 2 do all that I need one fast cheep and summit cj pony no one has npi intakes
Check eBay for npi one. Read bad things bout the Dorman one. Just make sure it has aluminum crossover piece. The plastic one tends to crack eventually.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #20

Region: South Carolina
I installed a PI intake on my non PI Motor along with the PI cams . Its surely wasn't a hack job .. So you have to use a little rtv so what .. OP do your swap bro .. Add the PI cams too .. It will make a big difference too..
Stage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage1 View Post
I installed a PI intake on my non PI Motor along with the PI cams . Its surely wasn't a hack job .. So you have to use a little rtv so what .. OP do your swap bro .. Add the PI cams too .. It will make a big difference too..
We going to need to see papers lol.

Did u tune it? Dyno or bama
Old 10-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #22

Region: South Carolina
No tune needed, I did the research on the net and other forums .. Also spoke with the guy at the Modular head shop .. It worked for me the car felt stronger all the way around ..
Stage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Check eBay for npi one. Read bad things bout the Dorman one. Just make sure it has aluminum crossover piece. The plastic one tends to crack eventually.
+11
Old 01-01-2013, 01:47 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage1
No tune needed, I did the research on the net and other forums .. Also spoke with the guy at the Modular head shop .. It worked for me the car felt stronger all the way around ..
So your running higher compression and no tune? Considering the compression ratio is over 10. And since the GT ecm doesn't utilize 91+ octane a tune is needed. But maybe I missed something.
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I also have a pi intake and it really helped a lot, when I had it swap I also put an o/r x pipe with duals dumped and k&n cai and now it pulls slightly harder then the stock 99-04 gts, oh and I also have 3.73, so Yea I recommend just to do the pi intake if u don't have the time and money to do the full swap for now or if u don't want to get the compression bump for a supercharger in the future
99redbeast is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT