Shift hard when going into 3rd gear. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:10 AM   #1

Region: North Carolina
Shift hard when going into 3rd gear.

I have a 01 gt automatic and when it shifts into third it's shifting hard. It don't do it when the car is cold but when it warms up it does. It's almost like something is grinding cause I can feel it. Any ideas??
M_Wag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Wag
I have a 01 gt automatic and when it shifts into third it's shifting hard. It don't do it when the car is cold but when it warms up it does. It's almost like something is grinding cause I can feel it. Any ideas??
Do you have a tune it it?
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #3

I know I haven't done one now idk about the guy before me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know I haven't done one now idk about the guy before me.
Well I have a tune in my automatic that firms up the shifts but my 3rd gears been shifting a lot harder than the other gears. Does it do it all the time?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #5

It does it when the car warms up. But when the car is cold it shifts fine just after driving it a LiL and it starts to warm up I have problems.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It does it when the car warms up. But when the car is cold it shifts fine just after driving it a LiL and it starts to warm up I have problems.
You might want to consider changing your fluids. Everyone has different feelings about it so ask around first
Old 11-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Well I had a similar problem on my 98. I had a friend check out the tranny for me. He said third gear was going bad. The problem is tht at a fast take off at a track or light autos aren't really meant for it and eventually go bad. The solution is getting racing valves on it. I paid about 150 but because I knew the guy. I have racing valves on mine but I don't race. When I want to do a good take off they are helpful though.
Israel98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel98

Well I had a similar problem on my 98. I had a friend check out the tranny for me. He said third gear was going bad. The problem is tht at a fast take off at a track or light autos aren't really meant for it and eventually go bad. The solution is getting racing valves on it. I paid about 150 but because I knew the guy. I have racing valves on mine but I don't race. When I want to do a good take off they are helpful though.
It might or might not be that but I recommend you changing the fluids and trying the tune b4 anything
Israel98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT