Replacing my clutch - Page 6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #176
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate98stang

So from what I gather from that is I should be ok if I torque the but to 125ft/lbs/tq?
I think so. I've never re-used a crush sleeve before but I would assume it's fine
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #177
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

I think so. I've never re-used a crush sleeve before but I would assume it's fine
I reused mine, and set the lash by hand. Worked the crush sleeve back on, periodically checking the lash by having an assistant rotate the wheel until the ring and pinion made contact. Mind you this was all supervised by a master mechanic and automotive instructor so I wouldn't advise this method, but the crush sleeve is reusable. If you're weary they are readily available. Same as fox body, any 8.8...
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #178
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange

I reused mine, and set the lash by hand. Worked the crush sleeve back on, periodically checking the lash by having an assistant rotate the wheel until the ring and pinion made contact. Mind you this was all supervised by a master mechanic and automotive instructor so I wouldn't advise this method, but the crush sleeve is reusable. If you're weary they are readily available. Same as fox body, any 8.8...
Ok cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #179

Region: Missouri
Hey JDF, was reading some of your post and clutch experience, i have a 1997 Cobra, its 4.6 and when u start letting off the clutch it will kinda shiver a little bit,forward or backward, can this be adjusted out or am i looking at a new clutch? if so could u tell where is the best place to buy and what do i need? we dont race or run this car very hard lol cost to much to repair! Any help would be great, Thanks Gary K.
kimball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #180
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimball2
Hey JDF, was reading some of your post and clutch experience, i have a 1997 Cobra, its 4.6 and when u start letting off the clutch it will kinda shiver a little bit,forward or backward, can this be adjusted out or am i looking at a new clutch? if so could u tell where is the best place to buy and what do i need? we dont race or run this car very hard lol cost to much to repair! Any help would be great, Thanks Gary K.
Does the car itself shiver? Or the clutch?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #181
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
So we got everything together and my throw out is squeaking and pedal jumps when I barely press it in but the Jump and squeak goes away when I press the clutch all the way in any suggestions?
2002 5 speed Comp Orange Mustang GT. K&N CAI,JBA headers,BBK xpipe,SLP mufflers to turn downs,Exedy stage 2 clutch,MGW short throw,drilled and and slotted roters,front:17x9 black 10th anniversary cobras Rear:17x10.5 black 10th anniversary cobras,Roush stage 3 body kit,smoked tails and side markers.
Nate98stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #182
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like your throw-out bearing is resting on the clutch. You need to adjust it away from the clutch. Look up Azure's clutch free-play mod for a pretty simple solution
Old 12-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #183
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
Sounds like your throw-out bearing is resting on the clutch. You need to adjust it away from the clutch. Look up Azure's clutch free-play mod for a pretty simple solution
Well he showed me that I just need a fix sooner then me going and getting a spring and I didn't read the whole thing is the spring on the cable all that needs to b done
2002 5 speed Comp Orange Mustang GT. K&N CAI,JBA headers,BBK xpipe,SLP mufflers to turn downs,Exedy stage 2 clutch,MGW short throw,drilled and and slotted roters,front:17x9 black 10th anniversary cobras Rear:17x10.5 black 10th anniversary cobras,Roush stage 3 body kit,smoked tails and side markers.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #184
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate98stang View Post

Well he showed me that I just need a fix sooner then me going and getting a spring and I didn't read the whole thing is the spring on the cable all that needs to b done
And something like a washer so that the spring stays on. You have a firewall adjuster right?
Old 12-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #185
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

And something like a washer so that the spring stays on. You have a firewall adjuster right?
Yea it its too hard to adjust and mess with so I haven't been using it just been adjusting at the trans
Old 12-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #186
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea it its too hard to adjust and mess with so I haven't been using it just been adjusting at the trans
I would try to get it adjusted at both points
Old 12-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #187
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I would try to get it adjusted at both points
Just got the cable in the 2nd hook of the quadrant gonna see if that helps
Old 12-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #188
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Just got the cable in the 2nd hook of the quadrant gonna see if that helps
Alright. Good luck!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #189
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If the second hook of the quadrant doesn't work, I highly recommend JDF's advice to adjust at both ends.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #190
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
If the second hook of the quadrant doesn't work, I highly recommend JDF's advice to adjust at both ends.
Well it just doesn't feel very stiff to me and its a stage two but seems like every where it gets adjusted I get pedal jump and throw out squeal could the throw out noise be because we didn't grease or lube the inside of it?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #191
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well it just doesn't feel very stiff to me and its a stage two but seems like every where it gets adjusted I get pedal jump and throw out squeal could the throw out noise be because we didn't grease or lube the inside of it?
The throwout bearing is riding on the pressure plate fingers. That's why it's jumping and squealing. Azures freeplay mod should help that
Old 12-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #192
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

TOB are pre-greased I believe. You have to be very careful if you are greasing to eliminate the squeak. You don't want to get anything on the clutch disc or it will slip.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #193
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

The throwout bearing is riding on the pressure plate fingers. That's why it's jumping and squealing. Azures freeplay mod should help that
^This^
Original idea and write-up was by Lowflyn.

Attachment 79886
Whether you have a firewall adjuster or adjustable cable or both, there spring loading of the cable setup is gone now that you have an aftermarket quadrant and cable. The spring simply adds some spring loading that applies tension on the clutch fork to keep the TOB off of the pressure plate.

Attachment 79885
^You should also put some shims (washers) on the clutch actuation shaft that the quadrant is on, to line up the cable better with the hole in the firewall. This can make your cable motion much smoother and make your cable last longer because its not bound up.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #194
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

^This^
Original idea and write-up was by Lowflyn.

Whether you have a firewall adjuster or adjustable cable or both, there spring loading of the cable setup is gone now that you have an aftermarket quadrant and cable. The spring simply adds some spring loading that applies tension on the clutch fork to keep the TOB off of the pressure plate.

^You should also put some shims (washers) on the clutch actuation shaft that the quadrant is on, to line up the cable better with the hole in the firewall. This can make your cable motion much smoother and make your cable last longer because its not bound up.
I did shim the quadrant, where did u get the spring again?
Old 12-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #195
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

I did shim the quadrant, where did u get the spring again?
I bought mine at Menards. The springs I got at Lowes just never worked quite right. I got one that was ~10in long and cut it to fit in there just right.

On this post is where I switched to the spring from Menards. I've been running with it since without a hitch.

Freeplay mod with custom fit spring
Old 12-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #196
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
On and anybody with a 99-04 gt have any tips how to get the tops trans bolt out on the driver side dad and I are having a terrible time it's a crazy tight fit
I was afraid to get my clutch changed cause everyone I talked to wanted 400 called a place I thought would be higher and they only wanted 245 dollars it's not bad price IMO
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:12 AM   #197
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

TOB are pre-greased I believe. You have to be very careful if you are greasing to eliminate the squeak. You don't want to get anything on the clutch disc or it will slip.
Just pitching in. Just tossed the new spec TOB for a ford heavy duty TOB. 1st TOB had barely 3k before it squealed. Guess it was too light and the sealed bearing to race friction wore out. Comparatively, the ford TOB is much heavier too by physical weight.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #198
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post

Just pitching in. Just tossed the new spec TOB for a ford heavy duty TOB. 1st TOB had barely 3k before it squealed. Guess it was too light and the sealed bearing to race friction wore out. Comparatively, the ford TOB is much heavier too by physical weight.
Well mine has hardly 50 miles I don't think the TOB is bad I think we have just done something wrong in adjusting

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Quote:

I bought mine at Menards. The springs I got at Lowes just never worked quite right. I got one that was ~10in long and cut it to fit in there just right.

On this post is where I switched to the spring from Menards. I've been running with it since without a hitch.

Freeplay mod with custom fit spring
That's ill check it out, If I put it back together right away or not trying to convince dad for us to pull my motor, It needs some valve work anyway and the trouble we have ran into I'd love to be able to pull it get my valves re done port and polish my heads and then get my headers torqued on correctly but I won't be driving my car for another 5 plus months if we do it
Old 12-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #199
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well mine has hardly 50 miles I don't think the TOB is bad I think we have just done something wrong in adjusting

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

That's ill check it out, If I put it back together right away or not trying to convince dad for us to pull my motor, It needs some valve work anyway and the trouble we have ran into I'd love to be able to pull it get my valves re done port and polish my heads and then get my headers torqued on correctly but I won't be driving my car for another 5 plus months if we do it
Hey, AZ, I did the TOB swap, but I still hear something. I am beginning to think my tranny (T45), is what am hearing now under load and low rpm. Not sure. U think Nate has the same prob? I take it he has a 98? This weekend, hopefully, I'll add some friction modifier.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #200
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post

Hey, AZ, I did the TOB swap, but I still hear something. I am beginning to think my tranny (T45), is what am hearing now under load and low rpm. Not sure. U think Nate has the same prob? I take it he has a 98? This weekend, hopefully, I'll add some friction modifier.
No I have an 02 now with the t3650
Old 12-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #201
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

No I have an 02 now with the t3650
Yup, lol, that's the same thing I did thinking you had a 98 a couple of weeks ago.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #202
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yup, lol, that's the same thing I did thinking you had a 98 a couple of weeks ago.
Lol yea if I could change the name I would :p but oh well
Old 12-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #203
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol yea if I could change the name I would :p but oh well
Well, T56 or nor, same problem, just not as old as dirt like mine. You have to realize that when you shift any noise may well be the tranny. Haynes manual gives a few tips. Mine is stiff and hard to shift.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #204
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Plus, you have a stage 2 clutch right Nate? That will be stiffer than stock, but you'll get used to that pretty quick. You'll get so used to it that you won't know any different. That is, until you'll get in your friends Honda, where the clutch feels like you're pushing over a blade of grass.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #205
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Plus, you have a stage 2 clutch right Nate? That will be stiffer than stock, but you'll get used to that pretty quick. You'll get so used to it that you won't know any different. That is, until you'll get in your friends Honda, where the clutch feels like you're pushing over a blade of grass.
Well that's the thing we haven't got it adjusted at any point yet to feel very stuff it honestly hasn't felt much more than my stock clutch and that's what has me so confused, the only time it seemed good is when my dad had the clutch fork. Pulled down on accident and the cover wouldn't go back on
Old 12-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #206
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
My Exedy Stage 2 is easier to push in than my stock was... I was surprised.
lBRAlD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #207
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lBRAlD View Post
My Exedy Stage 2 is easier to push in than my stock was... I was surprised.
Well then maybe I don't need to be looking for a still pedal?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #208
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well then maybe I don't need to be looking for a still pedal?
I was concerned too at first because everything I read said it would be somewhat stiffer. It took a little driving around for me to get used to the feel. I couldn't judge when it would catch but have no problem now after a couple hundred miles.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #209
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lBRAlD View Post

I was concerned too at first because everything I read said it would be somewhat stiffer. It took a little driving around for me to get used to the feel. I couldn't judge when it would catch but have no problem now after a couple hundred miles.
Alright thanks
Old 12-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #210
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Alright thanks
Thank you for the great write up! What I went by, was wondering if I was the only one it happened to.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT