Weird noise from shifter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Weird noise from shifter

So last night it was very cold, took the car out for a nice drive, heard some weird vibrations, put my ear up to the shifter and it was coming from there, what could this be cuz it has me kind of worried, I do know I have a TOB that is on its way out cuz it squeaks when the pedal is at its highest positions or if I tap the pedal...could this be my TOB or clutch related? Treacly hoping my tranny is okay.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

Also I did adjust my stock clutch quadrant using the method where you push the clutch to the floor and hold the plastic quadrant and release the pedal till you hear a click, I did it 2 clicks
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Bump
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tylercribbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger
So last night it was very cold, took the car out for a nice drive, heard some weird vibrations, put my ear up to the shifter and it was coming from there, what could this be cuz it has me kind of worried, I do know I have a TOB that is on its way out cuz it squeaks when the pedal is at its highest positions or if I tap the pedal...could this be my TOB or clutch related? Treacly hoping my tranny is okay.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

Also I did adjust my stock clutch quadrant using the method where you push the clutch to the floor and hold the plastic quadrant and release the pedal till you hear a click, I did it 2 clicks
I have had same problem. I think it is coming from clutch. Because when i put my car in neutral and start pressing on brakes, my clutch starts going back and forth on its own so i think i need to tighten up my cable and hopefully that might fix the problem
Tylercribbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Update: so I'm afraid to drive my car, I took it out for drive today and the noise is still there...it's almost like a gggggggrrrrr type noise it's hard to describe, it doesn't do it always, seems it does it mainly in 5th gear but it can be heard in other geara....but when Im at a stop and throw it in neutral, I hear nothing BUT if I put my ear up to the shifter I hear ggggggrrrrrrrr constantly and doesn't go away...terrified something serious is wrong..what could this be?
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tylercribbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 35
It was my rear end when i got it fixed it was fine. Do u have different gears from stock? Could be a problem to. Its not a big deal to drive it, just fix it soon and also check ur transmission fluid that could be it, too.
Tylercribbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylercribbs
It was my rear end when i got it fixed it was fine. Do u have different gears from stock? Could be a problem to. Its not a big deal to drive it, just fix it soon and also check ur transmission fluid that could be it, too.
PleaSe don't tell me it could be my rear end differential...got mine replaced on my 99 auto v6 and that was NOT CHEAP..man I baby this car I take my launches nice and slow and my 6er I took off at every light and stop sign an thought I leaned my lesson and I took it easy on my new GT
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger

PleaSe don't tell me it could be my rear end differential...got mine replaced on my 99 auto v6 and that was NOT CHEAP..man I baby this car I take my launches nice and slow and my 6er I took off at every light and stop sign an thought I leaned my lesson and I took it easy on my new GT
Can you get a video of it?
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

Can you get a video of it?
Its gonna be hard but ill try tomorrow morning , I literally have to put my ear right next to the shifter to hear it in neutral
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tylercribbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 35
take a video of it and i can tell you if it is your differential or transmission... It would be nice if it is neither. i've had problems with both in the past 2 weeks so i know how you feel. Is there aftermarket gears in it though? like 3.73? or 4.10?
Tylercribbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylercribbs
take a video of it and i can tell you if it is your differential or transmission... It would be nice if it is neither. i've had problems with both in the past 2 weeks so i know how you feel. Is there aftermarket gears in it though? like 3.73? or 4.10?
No stock gears ... Ill get a video up some time for ya today
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Maybe my stock gears are going..and I would have an excuse to go 3.73
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
I think it's nothing to worry about. It is spinning the whole time so you're bound to get some sort of noise no matter what. Have you noticed that it goes away when you push the clutch in?
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF
I think it's nothing to worry about. It is spinning the whole time so you're bound to get some sort of noise no matter what. Have you noticed that it goes away when you push the clutch in?
I've never heard this before an been driving the car for 8 months...when I put the car in neutral, and put my ear up to the shifter I hear the noise, if I press the clutch the noise is still there just changes a bit
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Update with a video...fast forward to roughly the last 20 seconds and you can hear it if you turn your volume up...seems mainly in 5th gear

I have no idea how to embed a video on here I've tried multiple times..here's a direct link
http://videobam.com/XMWzX
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Bump....about 10 seconds left in the video it starts making the noise. Almost like a rubbing type noise, def never heard this before..
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Anyone? Bueller?
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mathew r Wright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger
Anyone? Bueller?
It's nothin man just drive it. Your paranoid and are hearing noises you didn't catch before all cars have their noises...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

It's nothin man just drive it. Your paranoid and are hearing noises you didn't catch before all cars have their noises...
That's the thing tho, I've always been paranoid since day 1 of driving this car and I'm always listening for weird noises, I mean I can hear this noise with my music on and people in the car talking, I'm 100% positive this is a noise that hasn't been there before
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger

That's the thing tho, I've always been paranoid since day 1 of driving this car and I'm always listening for weird noises, I mean I can hear this noise with my music on and people in the car talking, I'm 100% positive this is a noise that hasn't been there before
Was it that kind of creaking noise at the end of your video? About a second before you said "right there"? Try draining your transmission fluid and seeing if you have any metal shavings in your fluid.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

Was it that kind of creaking noise at the end of your video? About a second before you said "right there"? Try draining your transmission fluid and seeing if you have any metal shavings in your fluid.
Yea that's the noise...I'd prob have to take it in for a tranny fluid change...what would it mean if I had metal shavings in there? It's the tremec 3650 so I have the problem with notchy shifting like mostly everyone else with this tranny...when it's cold and I shift to 2nd I can feel it like nibbling as it goes in...bought the car 8 months ago and according to my mechanic the tranny seems to have been replaced somewhat recently so I really hope it's nothing with the tranny...
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger

Yea that's the noise...I'd prob have to take it in for a tranny fluid change...what would it mean if I had metal shavings in there? It's the tremec 3650 so I have the problem with notchy shifting like mostly everyone else with this tranny...when it's cold and I shift to 2nd I can feel it like nibbling as it goes in...bought the car 8 months ago and according to my mechanic the tranny seems to have been replaced somewhat recently so I really hope it's nothing with the tranny...
Fluid changes in our cars are relatively easy. If you have ramps it would be a fun little thing to do during a weekend. Just fill it from the shifter and you get to see how everything goes together up there with an extremely low chance of messing anything up.. Metal shavings always indicate abnormal wear. Metal chips would indicate you well, chipped some teeth on one of the gears. Don't judge the health of the tranny by whether metal shavings are in the fluid though, i've practically worn my second gear synchro out, and my fluid was clean.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
No ramps...possible to do it without ramps?? My car is not lowered at the moment
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger
No ramps...possible to do it without ramps?? My car is not lowered at the moment
Unfortunately, no.. The drain plug for your trans it at the very rear of the unit. You'll probably save more than the cost of the ramps by doing it yourself though! All you need is a socket set to do the whole job and you familiarize yourself with your car and that's priceless!
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Ramps and tranny fluid change this weekend it is!!!!! Any tips or suggestions? Maybe a how-to video you guys recommend?
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger
Ramps and tranny fluid change this weekend it is!!!!! Any tips or suggestions? Maybe a how-to video you guys recommend?
Sounds like a good time. Really all you need to do is make sure you pull the right plug, it's pretty obvious though. Pick a good fluid, I use B&M Trick Shift, but Tremec recommends Mobil 1 ATF. Taking the shifter off to fill is only slightly more complicated. If I get the shifter I ordered in the next day or two I'll try to make you a little how-to to follow just to make things as easy and fun as possible.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
If I remove the shifter to fill the tranny should I purchase one of those gaskets rather than having to use silicone or whatever to seal it up and dampen the noise...where can i purchase just a gasket if so. Thanks for the help!
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger
If I remove the shifter to fill the tranny should I purchase one of those gaskets rather than having to use silicone or whatever to seal it up and dampen the noise...where can't purchase just a gasket if so. Thanks for the help!
It's definitely easier with the gasket.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
I reinstalled the factory seal. Wasn't really worn out. Or are you referring to a shifter to trans gasket?
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #29
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 6
changing the fluid is simple a simple socket set 3/8 drive a couple of extensions and the fluid.

inside the car, remove the shifter knob. gently remove the plastic shifter cover. disconnect the cig lighter and the the other wires(if any). remove the 4 bolts that hold the shifter and remove. DON'T lose the cap on the shifter ball it is for noise reduction and it does reduce the noise. PLEASE PUT THE CAR ON THE RAMPS FIRST.. LOL
1) go underneath the car and in the rear on the bottom of the trans is a square drive for a 3/8" drive ratchet use a breaker bar type if you have one its easier and use a small 3" extension (dont bust your knuckles)
2) drain the fluid and close the plug
3) search the web and tremec's sight for the fluid recommendation it has changed in the amount.
4) before putting everything back together, get the shifter gasket or buy some cork gasket material and make your own it will quite down that shifter noise some.

Hope that helps you man.
GOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Tremec specifies 3.2 qt of fluid in the TR3650..
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
You guys are awesome, I really do appreciate the help ... Ill let you guys know how it comes out and if I need any questions...only thing I'm worried about is taking off the wrong plug
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Its pretty obvious. Towards the back of the case, only plug that is directly on the bottom. All the other plugs are on the side. Good placement because the angle your ramps make the car sit help you to drain more fluid.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange
Its pretty obvious. Towards the back of the case, only plug that is directly on the bottom. All the other plugs are on the side.
+1 passenger side, there will be two plugs, pull both of them and then while that's draining you can pull the shifter. After it's done draining put the bottom plug in and pour your new fluid in from the shifter. When it spills out of the top plug that's when you know you're done. Just make sure you're on a level surface.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
AgentOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Florida
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

+1 passenger side, there will be two plugs, pull both of them and then while that's draining you can pull the shifter. After it's done draining put the bottom plug in and pour your new fluid in from the shifter. When it spills out of the top plug that's when you know you're done. Just make sure you're on a level surface.
I think Tremec amended their old fill recommendation. Going to the fill plug is about 4 qt, where they now say 3.2 is the optimal amount.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Have you guys come across any type of picture or something of the actual drain plug...like I said I'm gonna pickup all the necessary supplies today and don't wanna pull the wrong plug
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



03:01 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.