Advice! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Advice!

Ok guys I have decided to go the supercharger route. But I want to get the motor and everything else ready to handle it before I drop the money on it. What all should I do? And extras as far as gears and cams and intake manifold, TB. All of that. Even into suspension. I am trying to make a complete list of stuff j need so I can start shoppin! Thanks guys
2003mustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
What are you building the car for? You basically want to build from the back of the car forwards. Get a 31 spline rear end and axles, new driveshaft, built trans, full suspension, and then you gotta build the motor with all new forged internals, head work if you want, cams, intake if you want, bigger throttlebody, and fuel system. That's if you wanna build it the safest way
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003mustangGT
Ok guys I have decided to go the supercharger route. But I want to get the motor and everything else ready to handle it before I drop the money on it. What all should I do? And extras as far as gears and cams and intake manifold, TB. All of that. Even into suspension. I am trying to make a complete list of stuff j need so I can start shoppin! Thanks guys
Ya it's all based on what your going to mainly do with the car and then you build based off of that

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang23

Ya it's all based on what your going to mainly do with the car and then you build based off of that
+1 frankly forged internals is what id start with. As far as heads up to u if u wanna port them or not intake id get an aluminum one. Tb and plenum 75mm atleast blower cams possibly stage 2 with springs. Deff wanna upgrade the valvetrain with cams. Tuner 3.55 gears. But thats just my opinion lol. But truly depends on what application ur build is goin towards.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

[/COLOR]Alright anyone want to make me a build list! with some round about prices! My plans are really high for this car. I want to build it right and make sure when that KB goes on, it can handle it! and I'm not having to barely push it so it doesnt blow!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
i gave nitro his own thread fellas and cleaned up a bit.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Nobody want to help?
Old 11-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003mustangGT
Nobody want to help?
Sell and get a

2003/2004 cobra
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow2V

Sell and get a

2003/2004 cobra
+500,000
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
build the motor/fuel system drive line (5-10k cost more if you need a trans) then supercharge it (3-5k cost) then upgrade suspension to handle it (1-3k cost but may be ok depending on power level but if you build the motor you better want at least 550-650rwhp as the stock block can take 400-450)

the issue with building the motor is if it fails and messes up.... the engine builder will blame the tuner and the tuner will blame the engine and you will be left with the bill either way aka a very expensive paper weight. Many go down this road and regret every second of it so consider that.

If you keep the engine stock you can push 360rwhp daily which is about a stock 03/04 cobra power level and be fine with just supercharger and fuel system upgrades to get it all working right probably will cost you 3-5k~ maybe a touch more just depends on what you do could be cheaper.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #11

Region: Arkansas
A Good Start

Well the first question i would ask you is what do plan to do with the car? Is this a daily driver, a weekend warrior or a combination of the two. My next question is have you ever driven anything over 400HP before? Some people laugh at that question, but when you start adding power adders or doubling up the horsepower level, these darn cars will get away from you quickly!!!!!

to somewhat answer your question, (cause alot of it is personal preference)

1) New shocks, struts and springs with poly bushings. $250 to $1000

2) New rear lower control arms (leave the uppers alone). $150 to $300

3) upgrade your braking system with Drilled and slotted rotors and good Brake pads. $200 to $800

4) the best thing i can tell you as far as engines go, I would Contact MMR and purchase one of their long blocks they range in price from $4500 to $5100 (and higher). another option is DSS racing they are pretty close in price range.

5) When it comes to cams, i would probably go with a custom grind but some comp 270 will also do well and maintain some streetability.$500 to $800

6) Light weight Flywheel and Clutch needs to handle the power but not be unbearable to drive i like the center force dual friction but to each his own. if it is an auto i would contact the torque converter companies or search the forums for a recommendation. $350 to $800

7) Rear end; 3.73's are fun and the max i would go in a street driven vehicle. I personally went back to 3.55's and found it easier to drive daily.$250 to $400

8) Exhaust is what you like. I haven't seen one system exceed another except for KooKs and i ain't spending $2000 on a freaking exhaust system if you are going roots or centrifugal on the FI, then you want long tubes. $400 to $700
GOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOFAST
Well the first question i would ask you is what do plan to do with the car? Is this a daily driver, a weekend warrior or a combination of the two. My next question is have you ever driven anything over 400HP before? Some people laugh at that question, but when you start adding power adders or doubling up the horsepower level, these darn cars will get away from you quickly!!!!!

to somewhat answer your question, (cause alot of it is personal preference)

1) New shocks, struts and springs with poly bushings. $250 to $1000

2) New rear lower control arms (leave the uppers alone). $150 to $300

3) upgrade your braking system with Drilled and slotted rotors and good Brake pads. $200 to $800

4) the best thing i can tell you as far as engines go, I would Contact MMR and purchase one of their long blocks they range in price from $4500 to $5100 (and higher). another option is DSS racing they are pretty close in price range.

5) When it comes to cams, i would probably go with a custom grind but some comp 270 will also do well and maintain some streetability.$500 to $800

6) Light weight Flywheel and Clutch needs to handle the power but not be unbearable to drive i like the center force dual friction but to each his own. if it is an auto i would contact the torque converter companies or search the forums for a recommendation. $350 to $800

7) Rear end; 3.73's are fun and the max i would go in a street driven vehicle. I personally went back to 3.55's and found it easier to drive daily.$250 to $400

8) Exhaust is what you like. I haven't seen one system exceed another except for KooKs and i ain't spending $2000 on a freaking exhaust system if you are going roots or centrifugal on the FI, then you want long tubes. $400 to $700
Ok! Defiantly going to use that list. I would like to go a little more into detail with it. And to answer some of your question this car is a DD right now. But im planning on within a years time it won't be. I want to make this strictly track. And not all at once it is my baby and I want to drive her but my end result I want it to be only track. And no I haven't ever owned a 400 hp car I have driven one an now I want one haha! But thanks a lot for your help! If you have any other suggestion please let me know!

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
build the motor/fuel system drive line (5-10k cost more if you need a trans) then supercharge it (3-5k cost) then upgrade suspension to handle it (1-3k cost but may be ok depending on power level but if you build the motor you better want at least 550-650rwhp as the stock block can take 400-450)

the issue with building the motor is if it fails and messes up.... the engine builder will blame the tuner and the tuner will blame the engine and you will be left with the bill either way aka a very expensive paper weight. Many go down this road and regret every second of it so consider that.

If you keep the engine stock you can push 360rwhp daily which is about a stock 03/04 cobra power level and be fine with just supercharger and fuel system upgrades to get it all working right probably will cost you 3-5k~ maybe a touch more just depends on what you do could be cheaper.
Mind going into detail a little more with the first paragraph? And ya I realize the builder tuner situation and I'm hoping that nothing goes wrong!:/ and I do want to build the motor I want to do everything I can so when that KB goes on I dot have to push like 10 lbs I want to go to atleast 18 -20!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

If you still want to put in a 2 valve motor, then get a reman they go anywhere from $1800-$2800.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright
If you still want to put in a 2 valve motor, then get a reman they go anywhere from $1800-$2800.
Oh sorry I'm replying to wrong thread sorry...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Oh sorry I'm replying to wrong thread sorry...
I was like what? Haha
Old 01-11-2013, 01:58 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You can always rebuild after something goes... As long as you don't throw a rod
Cervantes107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT