DOHC with 4R07W questions... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Smokum281 is unknown around these parts
DOHC with 4R07W questions...

I have a DOHC swap into an automatic GT (1996)... When I'm driving normal it doesnt feel like the power is there all the time when leaving a light/driving. unless I stomp the gas conservatively when the tc isn't locked. Kinda feels like my trans/iac/engine isn't in sync... the pressure on the throttle plate isn't always there

Any Ideas?

Old 11-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

1996mustang is unknown around these parts
Stupid question but do u have a stock converter or aftermarket one?

Old 11-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Stock, and it has a leak coming from that hole on the bell housing, i see drips on the bar that goes across under it, but haven't seen any on the plywood on the driveway...yet. Just replaced the neutral switch... I have 3:55's, not sure if it was tuned to that. The guy before me gave up on the car. Thinkin about just trying a speedo gear. It goes into overdrive pretty harsh.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Oh, and sometimes right after it shifts to second, it wants to lock, unlocks, and then when it hits the right load it locks... the trans has 165k mostly highway... engine and its sensors has about 60k...

today i drove it to work here in miami, at 5 oclock, the pedal was stiff and all the power was there. drove home at midnight, pedal was soft and didn't feel all there. backwards.

I'm thinking it was the oil I used. I used an oil thats supposed to be used with either mercon/dexron applications... I think i'm going to try finding a mercon V additive since they don't make it anymore, before dumping 15 quarts and spending 100 dollars on oil, on a leaky transmission. I'm trying to get it right on the cheap, and then revise it all. or just dump the engine and trans and throw in a 331.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Butch is unknown around these parts
Sounds like she doesn't like going home ;}
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

2300turboford is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokum281
Oh, and sometimes right after it shifts to second, it wants to lock, unlocks, and then when it hits the right load it locks... the trans has 165k mostly highway... engine and its sensors has about 60k...

today i drove it to work here in miami, at 5 oclock, the pedal was stiff and all the power was there. drove home at midnight, pedal was soft and didn't feel all there. backwards.

I'm thinking it was the oil I used. I used an oil thats supposed to be used with either mercon/dexron applications... I think i'm going to try finding a mercon V additive since they don't make it anymore, before dumping 15 quarts and spending 100 dollars on oil, on a leaky transmission. I'm trying to get it right on the cheap, and then revise it all. or just dump the engine and trans and throw in a 331.
I'd swap it to a 5 speed
Old 11-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

1996mustang is unknown around these parts
Where in miami u from im near cutler bay maybe we could see what it does if its leaking feom the hole by the bell housing its more than likely the pump seal gone bad but its something id like to see to tell for sure
Old 11-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

lol @ she doesn't like going home.

I live around sw. 137 ave. and 8th st... I'm almost positive its the seal, I have another torque converter... i forgot the stall but its a panther pink. But then I still have the clutches to worry about.

Money's too damn tight.

AMAZINGLY though, before posting here, I had dry rotted lines on my EVAP canister, so I just plugged all the vacuum lines and unhooked both the canistor and vacuum sensor, I finally got some new hose and hooked everything back up, it shifts almost seamlessly from 1-3, but 4th she still kind of just dumps it into gear... weird huh? still having a sloppy pedal every so often though.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I wanted to try this other computer I've got from a MarkVIII since I still have the GT computer running things, don't know how the gt is tuned though. I plugged it in, it started, had to raise the idle screw to get it to stay on, gave it gas in park and it just started breaking up... theft light was blinking. theres no way to bypass vats with resistors like the Camaros huh?

Wanted to try it as a comparison, and since its more factory correct... I just don't have the key for it, found it in a junk yard

Its a WWX3 computer out of a 96 MarkVIII
Old 11-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

32vNomad is unknown around these parts
To tell you the truth it sounds like a TB and or cable issue. From you discription of throttle feel seems like a sensor and or cable is not correct or good. The trans still has a kick down cable that could be unadjusted. Or since the car has a 4v swap it may not be fitted properly. There could also be a intermittent fault on the TPS sensor. I would advise checking over the operation of things that deal with throttle. Because throttle pedal feel doesnt change with tunes and power output.

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokum281
I wanted to try this other computer I've got from a MarkVIII since I still have the GT computer running things, don't know how the gt is tuned though. I plugged it in, it started, had to raise the idle screw to get it to stay on, gave it gas in park and it just started breaking up... theft light was blinking. theres no way to bypass vats with resistors like the Camaros huh?

Wanted to try it as a comparison, and since its more factory correct... I just don't have the key for it, found it in a junk yard

Its a WWX3 computer out of a 96 MarkVIII
Only way for pats is to have it turned off in a tune. Do you know what is was tuned with and who wrote the tune? Can tell you that a canned tune will not work from bama or any like that. Do you have photos of your ride? You should take a video of the engine compartment and post it private on youtube. Then just share the link.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT