Car is in shop :( - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang936
Hope your car gets fixed! And watch out for people that try to burn you bad, get estimated from diffrent shops and get them to go competitive
Thanks man im gonna do it all myself except for the mufflers, today after work I'm gonna clean the TB and seafoam it, next week I'm gonna tackle the rear brakes and rotors myself ( never done it before but I'm sure ill figure it out, do I need a torque gun?? ) than I'm gonna flush the power steering and see if that helps any...I really wanna start handling things myself on my car and i figure the only way to do that is to just jump into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger

Thanks man im gonna do it all myself except for the mufflers, today after work I'm gonna clean the TB and seafoam it, next week I'm gonna tackle the rear brakes and rotors myself ( never done it before but I'm sure ill figure it out, do I need a torque gun?? ) than I'm gonna flush the power steering and see if that helps any...I really wanna start handling things myself on my car and i figure the only way to do that is to just jump into it.
Doing the work your self you'll save a ton of cash!.. No you don't need a Torq Gun but a torque wrench will help!.. You dont want to over tighten your lugs but at the same time you dont want them loose!.. To do the rear brakes it will help to get a brake tool!.. You can rent them at AutoZone!.. I bought a real fancy one from them and it makes doing the brakes a breeze!.. I would also recommend getting a Haynes or Chiltons manual too!.. Either one will walk you step by step on almost every repair on your car!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow2V
Hahahaha hahahaha oh man is that guy screwing you over lmaoooooo

Iam a technician and that is way over priced hahahaha wow what a terrible person that mechanic is
---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previousa post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Efi service is basically cleaning throttle body ( spray can is 7$ , and a gas tank additive 7$ )

You can access your throttle body in under 10 mins with basic tools

Rear brake job ( good brakes 40$ for pair )
And install I would charge you 50$ so boom 90$ for rear brakes

You don't need power steering flush its pointless

You can get a exedy stage 2 clutch for 220 and I would of charged you 200 to install so 420 ad flywheel resurface is 40 at any machine shop .. So 460

Man that guy is ripping you off
I'm no technician, that's why I postedw about it on ME to get opinions, this happens everyday that mechanics get over on people who don't have knowledge of working on a car, I myself don't find it too funny, especially for someone in my situation (smack in the middle of hurricane sandy). So all my funds were tied up in hotel rooms/generator gas/being out of work for over a week, there's a major problem over here with people price gauging the past 3 weeks and now if I didn't have you guys here on ME I would have gotten slammed in the a$$ once again lmao (first being sandy )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Doing the work your self you'll save a ton of cash!.. No you don't need a Torq Gun but a torque wrench will help!.. You dont want to over tighten your lugs but at the same time you dont want them loose!.. To do the rear brakes it will help to get a brake tool!.. You can rent them at AutoZone!.. I bought a real fancy one from them and it makes doing the brakes a breeze!.. I would also recommend getting a Haynes or Chiltons manual too!.. Either one will walk you step by step on almost every repair on your car!..
Armed with the right tools, the information, and the desire or need to fix it, you can do anything. I used to work on cars because I had to, and couldn't afford help, now I do it because I enjoy it.

Seriously, get the manuals, they'll save you a ton of headaches & trim time from your repairs in general by showing you the proper steps in order. You can maybe find what you're looking for on here or other sites online, but the best source is a Haynes, Chilton, or similar repair manual like the factory techs use.

Tools can make or break the repair too, making it a breeze or a royal pain. Most places which sell parts typically have specialty tools they'll loan out for little to no cash out of pocked, plus a deposit to make sure they get it back.
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #40
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow2V View Post
Hahahaha hahahaha oh man is that guy screwing you over lmaoooooo

Iam a technician and that is way over priced hahahaha wow what a terrible person that mechanic is

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Efi service is basically cleaning throttle body ( spray can is 7$ , and a gas tank additive 7$ )

You can access your throttle body in under 10 mins with basic tools

Rear brake job ( good brakes 40$ for pair )
And install I would charge you 50$ so boom 90$ for rear brakes

You don't need power steering flush its pointless

You can get a exedy stage 2 clutch for 220 and I would of charged you 200 to install so 420 ad flywheel resurface is 40 at any machine shop .. So 460

Man that guy is ripping you off
^This response was unnecessary. Besides, comparing a shop to an individual is moot. You are not bonded and insured. You do not have any overhead for your "shop". OP was asking if the estimate was a fair price, not how much Slow2V would do it for.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

^This response was unnecessary. Besides, comparing a shop to an individual is moot. You are not bonded and insured. You do not have any overhead for your "shop". OP was asking if the estimate was a fair price, not how much Slow2V would do it for.
That's how I felt, nothing against Slow2V it's just the way you made it sound was like I'm totally getting ripped a new a$$ on this price and just wasn't a very happy camper this morning hahah, trust me if I was in Texas, I'd be coming to you slow2v...by the way guys I just grabbed a Haynes manual
Old 11-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #42
Registered Member

NJ Stanger, are you a member of the NJSTangers forum also?
DeepImpactPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger

Thanks man im gonna do it all ..I really wanna start handling things myself on my car and i figure the only way to do that is to just jump into it.
That's the only way your gonna learn. As already stated, get a manual. Good luck.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I know in Charlotte any top notch Stang shop will charge 400 to install clutch and resurface flywheel.

You can buy a clutch in any price range as mentioned.

I bought a McLeod Rst for 720. Add pilot and I have 800 in parts alone.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony
NJ Stanger, are you a member of the NJSTangers forum also?
Yes I am, name is GTstangin, although I haven't been on in a while because here at ME obviously has more members and of course get faster replies, although I am gonna be hitting up njstangers more now that I know what I'm doing on my car

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Just wanna let you guys know I just seafoamed the stang , put 1/3 of the can through the vacuum hose and the rest in my gas, HOLY COW MY IDLE IS THE BEST IT'S EVER BEEN! I love this stuff , so 1 problem down and fixed , next is TB cleaning, any suggestions on cleaning it? Thanks guys I really do appreciate everyone here helping me out
Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #46
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post
Yes I am, name is GTstangin, although I haven't been on in a while because here at ME obviously has more members and of course get faster replies, although I am gonna be hitting up njstangers more now that I know what I'm doing on my car

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Just wanna let you guys know I just seafoamed the stang , put 1/3 of the can through the vacuum hose and the rest in my gas, HOLY COW MY IDLE IS THE BEST IT'S EVER BEEN! I love this stuff , so 1 problem down and fixed , next is TB cleaning, any suggestions on cleaning it? Thanks guys I really do appreciate everyone here helping me out
Buy Valvoline Carb and Throttle Body Cleaner 602333 at Advance Auto Parts
DeepImpactPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I know this post is over a year old, but, that click in the wheel could be as simple as the lug nuts are loose.
escottcarp is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT