Car is in shop :( - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Car is in shop :(

Brought my car to the shop today to have some things looked at, the past 2 months I developed a small click when sharply turning and braking, an exhaust sound that sounds like a leak, a noise when turning my wheel, and a TOB squeak... Dreading the phone call from my mechanic for some estimates, feel like I could be in the thousands for repoars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger
Brought my car to the shop today to have some things looked at, the past 2 months I developed a small click when sharply turning and braking, an exhaust sound that sounds like a leak, a noise when turning my wheel, and a TOB squeak... Dreading the phone call from my mechanic for some estimates, feel like I could be in the thousands for repoars
It doesn't mean you have to do it all in one place. Ouch I hate that! Good luck
Supe01stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supe01stang

It doesn't mean you have to do it all in one place. Ouch I hate that! Good luck
+12
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Dang that sucks. Hopefully when he tells you what's wrong you can fix some of the things
Old 11-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831
Dang that sucks. Hopefully when he tells you what's wrong you can fix some of the things
I hope so, he's goes over the car for free for me and writes up a sheet with all the problems and estimated price, so hopefully it's mostly small things that can be taken care of myself or relatively cheap
Old 11-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I hope so, he's goes over the car for free for me and writes up a sheet with all the problems and estimated price, so hopefully it's mostly small things that can be taken care of myself or relatively cheap
Yea. Keep us posted
Old 11-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post
Im so glad I work on cars for a living,,not only do i love what i do,,ive never taken anything to the shop,,ive heard nightmares of people getting burnt,,exspecially women
Old 11-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Depends on the shop but lots of people try to burn you. That's why it helps to know a bit about cars and it helps to a part of a forum with tons of mustangs owners that have a good bit of knowledge so that you don't get burned

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys here's my estimate sheet... Can I service the throttle bod and e.f.i fuel injection myself? Power steering flush relatively easy with ramps? The clutch estimate is just for when my TOB does completely go but that's not for a long time he said my TOB has a slight squeak but still got plenty of life. And I'm having trouble understanding the exhaust part if anyone could help me out. Thank you. Btw my mechanic couldn't explain to me in person because I had to pick up my car after he left and am too anxious to wait till tomorrow to call him. Thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3540475436.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	542.6 KB
ID:	75733  
Old 11-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I think it means my exhaust has flowmaster mufflers and they have broken baffles? Wouldn't that mean I need new mufflers? If so that not so bad because I wanted to go louder, what would you guys suggest?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey guys here's my estimate sheet... Can I service the throttle bod and e.f.i fuel injection myself? Power steering flush relatively easy with ramps? The clutch estimate is just for when my TOB does completely go but that's not for a long time he said my TOB has a slight squeak but still got plenty of life. And I'm having trouble understanding the exhaust part if anyone could help me out. Thank you. Btw my mechanic couldn't explain to me in person because I had to pick up my car after he left and am too anxious to wait till tomorrow to call him. Thanks guys
Start first with"when was the last time you did the brakes"first. You can do it your self. Buy the ones from American muscle. Front and rear if it hasn't been done yet. For now that might be 1/2 your issues.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Quote:
I think it means my exhaust has flowmaster mufflers and they have broken baffles? Wouldn't that mean I need new mufflers? If so that not so bad because I wanted to go louder, what would you guys suggest?
Re weld. Or replace.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Start first with"when was the last time you did the brakes"first. You can do it your self. Buy the ones from American muscle. Front and rear if it hasn't been done yet. For now that might be 1/2 your issues.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Re weld. Or replace.
Mufflers of course
Old 11-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Wow there's a lot on that list... It looks like he wants to do a ton, is the car in bad shape? Lots of miles?

I'd find out the source of the click or clicking and probably get on that first if it's serious. Maybe a CV joint?

Seems like he wants to put new mufflers on, $300 for new flowmasters from the write up.

The throttle body service? Is he just going to clean it out? I usually clean mine with some carb cleaner and a rag, when i pop out my air filter to clean & oil it, I usually pop the intake off and clean up the inside of the TB and butterfly valve, it keeps it nice and responsive by keeping the carbon and build-up off of it.

$129.99 for an EFI service? Is that like seafoam-ing it? Seems a bit steep honestly, but please correct me if i'm wrong. A can of seafoam is less than $10 typically and can be done easily, just be careful not to do too much too fast.

Brakes are an easy one to do if you're mechanically inclined, or have a buddy whom is that you can get to help you do it. For that, you could put new brake pads and rotors on, possibly all four wheels.

The clutch...$980? Is THAT a good price? I haven't had one done in YEARS so I don't know honestly. If the TOB (Throw Out Bearing) is squeaking, is that impending doom? Possibly...I'd make sure my AAA membership is paid up and start saving for the whole clutch to be replaced, but I wouldn't do it until it fails personally, but I have 2 cars and wouldn't be put out if one was down.
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
Im so glad I work on cars for a living,,not only do i love what i do,,ive never taken anything to the shop,,ive heard nightmares of people getting burnt,,exspecially women
I've seen it first hand. I'm a car guy and have 3 sisters, they get jerked around not only by mechanics but also by all service/repair persons (plumbers, HVAC, handymen, etc)...actually, I don't mean to demonize these guys, not all are looking to cheat anyone, but it's common.

I love finding good, reliable, honest people to do business with. When I do, I reward them by sending them my sisters, friends, and family knowing they'll do them right just as they had me.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

The car has 112,000 on it, but is in good shape, drives great just a few small things on the list
Old 11-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM

I've seen it first hand. I'm a car guy and have 3 sisters, they get jerked around not only by mechanics but also by all service/repair persons (plumbers, HVAC, handymen, etc)...actually, I don't mean to demonize these guys, not all are looking to cheat anyone, but it's common.

I love finding good, reliable, honest people to do business with. When I do, I reward them by sending them my sisters, friends, and family knowing they'll do them right just as they had me.
Roflmao! Wtf! Yooooo you are funny!!

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Quote:

After reading your quote again. I'm sorry dude! I apologize.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Well if you or anyone else needs help working on there cars am always down to help everyone!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow there's a lot on that list... It looks like he wants to do a ton, is the car in bad shape? Lots of miles?

I'd find out the source of the click or clicking and probably get on that first if it's serious. Maybe a CV joint?

Seems like he wants to put new mufflers on, $300 for new flowmasters from the write up.

The throttle body service? Is he just going to clean it out? I usually clean mine with some carb cleaner and a rag, when i pop out my air filter to clean & oil it, I usually pop the intake off and clean up the inside of the TB and butterfly valve, it keeps it nice and responsive by keeping the carbon and build-up off of it.

$129.99 for an EFI service? Is that like seafoam-ing it? Seems a bit steep honestly, but please correct me if i'm wrong. A can of seafoam is less than $10 typically and can be done easily, just be careful not to do too much too fast.

Brakes are an easy one to do if you're mechanically inclined, or have a buddy whom is that you can get to help you do it. For that, you could put new brake pads and rotors on, possibly all four wheels.

The clutch...$980? Is THAT a good price? I haven't had one done in YEARS so I don't know honestly. If the TOB (Throw Out Bearing) is squeaking, is that impending doom? Possibly...I'd make sure my AAA membership is paid up and start saving for the whole clutch to be replaced, but I wouldn't do it until it fails personally, but I have 2 cars and wouldn't be put out if one was down.
All this seems to be a bit on the steep side to me!.. You can Seafoam your car and clean your own TB for far less and that will cover your EFI service!.. $300 for new FlowMasters?!?... For about $20 more you can get a whole new cat back setup!!... And for brakes!.. I got new rotors and pads for all four wheels on my '04 GT for about $200, just did the work myself!..

If your mechanically inclined you can actually do all this and get some upgraded parts for a little less then what he is quoting you!.. As far as the TOB I wouldn't know about!..
Old 11-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supe01stang View Post

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

After reading your quote again. I'm sorry dude! I apologize.

It's all good man, I'm a bit of a windbag...I talk too much.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

All this seems to be a bit on the steep side to me!.. You can Seafoam your car and clean your own TB for far less and that will cover your EFI service!.. $300 for new FlowMasters?!?... For about $20 more you can get a whole new cat back setup!!... And for brakes!.. I got new rotors and pads for all four wheels on my '04 GT for about $200, just did the work myself!..

If your mechanically inclined you can actually do all this and get some upgraded parts for a little less then what he is quoting you!.. As far as the TOB I wouldn't know about!..
That's exactly what I was thinking but I'm terrified of sea foaming my car and not messing something up, I've read some stories.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's exactly what I was thinking but I'm terrified of sea foaming my car and not messing something up, I've read some stories.
I've used seafoam with much success and I believe many other members on here have. Every single product or modification for your car has horror stories. 9 times out of 10 no one has any problems. often horror stories are people using the product the wrong way also

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Old 11-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Just follow the directions=zero problems!.. Lol. Then after wards replace the fuel filter if that's never been done before!.. A good $25 - $30 tops and about 30 minutes of your own time, and your entire fuel system is done!..

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT

I've used seafoam with much success and I believe many other members on here have. Every single product or modification for your car has horror stories. 9 times out of 10 no one has any problems. often horror stories are people using the product the wrong way also
+11
Old 11-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Also the reason I think so many things seem expensive on that paper is because most people on the forum are used to doing maintenance themselves and only paying for parts(not that that is a bad thing because I usually try to do my own work as well). When you go to a shop, you pay them anywhere from $50-$150 per hour for labor. So it really makes the price of work go up fast. But like most have said you can save a ton of money doing it urself

Old 11-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT View Post
+20 I've done every car i've ever owned. There is clearly a right and wrong way to do it. Do your research, it'll be fine, take your time, less is more in this scenario.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

+20 I've done every car i've ever owned. There is clearly a right and wrong way to do it. Do your research, it'll be fine, take your time, less is more in this scenario.
Mind explaining how to do it?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mind explaining how to do it?
NOTE-This is at your own risk. If you seafoam a 200+k mile car that's never been done, you're going to break down a lot of carbon deposits in the engine, and can potentially cause other issues by knocking this stuff loose. This can include leaking rings, smoking from bad seals, etc... so I only use a little bit at a time, it goes a LONG way. Lots of opinions on this, some love it, some hate it, but it's all about how you use it and what you expect from it. It's not a cure-all snake oil, it has a purpose and does it quite well when used properly.

Here's the vendors video on how to do it as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...XViwb97qc&NR=1

Get Seafoam at the auto parts store. You can get seafoam in a spray aerosol type of can, or in a fluid, I use the fluid version as it's easy to tell how much I've used, and easy to control the flow of it into the engine. Typically i'll use 1/3 to 1/2 of the can on the intake, then put the rest in the gas tank with a full tank of gas. Add it when you're going to fill the tank.

I use the vacuum line for the brake booster to add the fluid, while the vehicle is running. Start the car, have it in park, or neutral if a manual, with the parking brake set. The vacuum line will suck air into the intake, right into the engine. (so obviously be careful what you stick in there, or let get into that tube) You'll have the engine run up and down in idle, this is normal, the computer thinks there's an issue, because the brake booster is disconnected, but it's ok. Don't just dump it in, you'll stall it, and that's way too much at once. This method skips all the intake sensors, which can potentially be damaged if they're sprayed. The booster line will go directly into the intake manifold, and into the engine.

I use a length of plastic aquarium type tube like you'd use on a filter or air pump, and slowly feed it in that way. I put one end into the Seafoam bottle, then use the other end, and get it close enough to the vacuum to start pulling the liquid from the bottle. The closer/further I am away from it, the faster/slower it feeds. Anything more than a very light mist is too much. I just have it slowly feed into the vacuum line, until I've added the desired amount.

Then I shut the car off, reconnect the vacuum line, and clean up my mess. You want to let it sit several hours to let the liquid penetrate the grime and soak in, overnight if possible, then run the car to let it all burn off.

You'll see some light colored smoke when adding the fluid, you'll see a lot once you let it sit and then run it. Like a, "holy crap I blew the head-gasket" type of smoking sometimes, depending on the level of grime. Just let it run, enjoy the smoke cloud you made, assure the neighbors there's no fire or problems, and let it run until it's stopped smoking.

That's pretty much it, you need to change your oil once this process is completed as well, since you will be contaminating your oil with this grime you knocked loose. I usually take the 2/3 or 1/2 I have left in the Seafoam bottle, and put in my gas tank, then top it off with gas. After I run that tank, it has helped clean my fuel injectors and fuel system, and it's a good time to clean the fuel filter and change the oil.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Hahahaha hahahaha oh man is that guy screwing you over lmaoooooo

Iam a technician and that is way over priced hahahaha wow what a terrible person that mechanic is

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Efi service is basically cleaning throttle body ( spray can is 7$ , and a gas tank additive 7$ )

You can access your throttle body in under 10 mins with basic tools

Rear brake job ( good brakes 40$ for pair )
And install I would charge you 50$ so boom 90$ for rear brakes

You don't need power steering flush its pointless

You can get a exedy stage 2 clutch for 220 and I would of charged you 200 to install so 420 ad flywheel resurface is 40 at any machine shop .. So 460

Man that guy is ripping you off
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Ok guys granted I haven't worked for Ford in over ten years, but I still work at a dealership. Kia just released a service bulletin that ripped BG and similar products a new rear end. TB service is only needed when there is a throttle issue. Most hot rodders do it cause we don't want to have the throttle problems at a bad time. Brakes are $279.95 includes new pads and resurface existing rotors( most shops charge 2 hours for this) mufflers buy a cat back and do it in the drive way. I have over 20 years as a mechanic and I have flushed very few power steering systems. Those were always due to a bad rack.
Bleem@1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT View Post
Depends on the shop but lots of people try to burn you. That's why it helps to know a bit about cars and it helps to a part of a forum with tons of mustangs owners that have a good bit of knowledge so that you don't get burned
I agree,,I know a pretty good bit about cars in general,,but i learned alot about performance on here,,Plus we dont have any performance vehicles in our fleet

---------- Post added at 06:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleem@1 View Post
Ok guys granted I haven't worked for Ford in over ten years, but I still work at a dealership. Kia just released a service bulletin that ripped BG and similar products a new rear end. TB service is only needed when there is a throttle issue. Most hot rodders do it cause we don't want to have the throttle problems at a bad time. Brakes are $279.95 includes new pads and resurface existing rotors( most shops charge 2 hours for this) mufflers buy a cat back and do it in the drive way. I have over 20 years as a mechanic and I have flushed very few power steering systems. Those were always due to a bad rack.
Yep power steering usually gets a flush when a line breaks,,or the pump goes out..lol
Old 11-13-2012, 05:37 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Damn 390 for rear brakes,,hell you can rebuild the whole diff for that,,we never flush the power steering at work,,
Old 11-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

NOTE-This is at your own risk. If you seafoam a 200+k mile car that's never been done, you're going to break down a lot of carbon deposits in the engine, and can potentially cause other issues by knocking this stuff loose. This can include leaking rings, smoking from bad seals, etc... so I only use a little bit at a time, it goes a LONG way. Lots of opinions on this, some love it, some hate it, but it's all about how you use it and what you expect from it. It's not a cure-all snake oil, it has a purpose and does it quite well when used properly.

Here's the vendors video on how to do it as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...XViwb97qc&NR=1

Get Seafoam at the auto parts store. You can get seafoam in a spray aerosol type of can, or in a fluid, I use the fluid version as it's easy to tell how much I've used, and easy to control the flow of it into the engine. Typically i'll use 1/3 to 1/2 of the can on the intake, then put the rest in the gas tank with a full tank of gas. Add it when you're going to fill the tank.

I use the vacuum line for the brake booster to add the fluid, while the vehicle is running. Start the car, have it in park, or neutral if a manual, with the parking brake set. The vacuum line will suck air into the intake, right into the engine. (so obviously be careful what you stick in there, or let get into that tube) You'll have the engine run up and down in idle, this is normal, the computer thinks there's an issue, because the brake booster is disconnected, but it's ok. Don't just dump it in, you'll stall it, and that's way too much at once. This method skips all the intake sensors, which can potentially be damaged if they're sprayed. The booster line will go directly into the intake manifold, and into the engine.

I use a length of plastic aquarium type tube like you'd use on a filter or air pump, and slowly feed it in that way. I put one end into the Seafoam bottle, then use the other end, and get it close enough to the vacuum to start pulling the liquid from the bottle. The closer/further I am away from it, the faster/slower it feeds. Anything more than a very light mist is too much. I just have it slowly feed into the vacuum line, until I've added the desired amount.

Then I shut the car off, reconnect the vacuum line, and clean up my mess. You want to let it sit several hours to let the liquid penetrate the grime and soak in, overnight if possible, then run the car to let it all burn off.

You'll see some light colored smoke when adding the fluid, you'll see a lot once you let it sit and then run it. Like a, "holy crap I blew the head-gasket" type of smoking sometimes, depending on the level of grime. Just let it run, enjoy the smoke cloud you made, assure the neighbors there's no fire or problems, and let it run until it's stopped smoking.

That's pretty much it, you need to change your oil once this process is completed as well, since you will be contaminating your oil with this grime you knocked loose. I usually take the 2/3 or 1/2 I have left in the Seafoam bottle, and put in my gas tank, then top it off with gas. After I run that tank, it has helped clean my fuel injectors and fuel system, and it's a good time to clean the fuel filter and change the oil.
See that's what freaks me out. I got 112k on the car and have no idea if its ever been cleaned up with seafoam before, and not sure if its got a tonnnn of carbon build up or not , like I said, don't wanna make things worse when I'm trying to make things better

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleem@1
I can do a catback in my driveway? Don't I need to weld and what not for that? No Idea how exhaust install works but if I can do anything myself and save a penny I'm all for it
Old 11-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Good cat back bolts in.
Bleem@1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

See that's what freaks me out. I got 112k on the car and have no idea if its ever been cleaned up with seafoam before, and not sure if its got a tonnnn of carbon build up or not , like I said, don't wanna make things worse when I'm trying to make things better

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

I can do a catback in my driveway? Don't I need to weld and what not for that? No Idea how exhaust install works but if I can do anything myself and save a penny I'm all for it
I Seafoamed my '04 GT when it had hit 120,000 and have had zero problems!... Now have over 125,000 on it!.. And a good cat back will bolt right in!.. If you have an extra set of hands help you then it will be that much easier!..
Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Hope your car gets fixed! And watch out for people that try to burn you bad, get estimated from diffrent shops and get them to go competitive
Mustang936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang936
Hope your car gets fixed! And watch out for people that try to burn you bad, get estimated from diffrent shops and get them to go competitive
+11

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT